dunderhead1

Phantom vs S-fly

Hi,
Last year i owned and flew a S-fly expert ..great suit, easy to fly but i personally find it difficult to pull..some times i needed a few attempts to pull it(arched like a mother:S)..since my main goal with this suits was mountain flying i decided to sell it and keep it going with my track pants..
But i haven`t give up mountain flying yet.. i have looked at the Phantom, none of my friends are flying this one so i haven`t try it..
Has the Phantom an easier access to the pilotchute than the S-fly?? and is it easy to fly..? the armwings looks a little smaller on the Phantom..
thanks...

The S-Fly Expert and even the Pro-Fly are not very difficult to shut down and reach the hackie. My SM1 is a great deal more suit to shut down and I find no issue with deployment on it either.

Back when I was new to wingsuiting I found that if I rushed my deployment I would often miss the hackie. Try slowing your sequence down and insure that you have a good grip on it before you toss.

Give it a try.
WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

Hi,
Last year i owned and flew a S-fly expert ..great suit, easy to fly but i personally find it difficult to pull..some times i needed a few attempts to pull it(arched like a mother:S)

Define difficult to pull: Was the suit inflating when you relaxed to pull and you could not reach the BOC because the entire rig was pushed off your body? If this was the case all you need was to keep the legstraps tight.

The s-fly expert does not a have a wing that covers your hacky. More than 50% of the newer suits do indeed have much more wing material to interfere with direct hacky contact, not the expert.

For the record the phantom with back vents pose a danger if a base pouch is installed as the mouth for the back leg inlet is directly in line with the opening for the pouch.

:$ Well I only looked at the PF website. The suit doesn't seem to me to have an advantage over the V-2, at least that was my impression after reading Hans' description of his experience with it. Stability seemed to be an issue with the Shadow. I'd say stability is a strong point of the V-2 although my experience isn't based on flying next to a rock wall. Since the Shadow project appears to be six months or more old without mention of it on PF's website it doesn't look like it will be available anytime soon. Then again the V-1 and V-2 were available before they were shown on the website, possibly to avoid production backups. BTW I'm not dissing PF here, actually I'm impressed at the ongoing development in wingsuits.

As far as suitability for the original poster dunderhead1 the Shadow wouldn't fit the bill due to it's relatively large wings. Also I'd be afraid to fly wingsuit BASE without a leg pouch but that's just me. (the suit will apparently be available with one though)
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

The Shadow program is still on going thing were PF is working together with VKB gang.
As the season in Norway last about two weeks :S of course I can't be faster. Each of the top flyers there has different model of the suit. Which suit is going to be THE ONE is about to see.
Espen has the first model derivate of Phantom - he is very happy :)Problem w such suit is the testing. Speed and precision is the main thing. Without reference point test has no sense.
After the '08 season , I will be loaded w sufficient information to know what to do.
Hope that is enough info for now :)

Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

you can order phantom with base pouch
more info on PF site

But you cannot get a back-vented Phantom with that option. Personally, I think a BASE pouch on a Phantom is a waste of money. The wings are positively never in the way at pull time on a Phantom.

If the original poster is ever in Z-hills, he can try both suits. I have about seven Phantoms and three S-Fly's on the rack.