yuri_base

Z-Device...

...is born!!!

Tested the prototype today at Z-Hills. More details and data when I'm back to New York.

Happy New Year, fuckers! :)
Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Sure looking forward to seeing the data.

I saw the device yesterday and it was very clever and inovative.

Without stealing his thunder, basically he designed a pitot/static system that would record airspeed in line of flight providing true glide/ratio information based only on air speeds - no GPS stuff (and especially helpful on days like yesterday where we had 40+ knot uppers).

Hopefully he will post a picture of it - sure would go a long way in explaining how it works.

Good going Yuri!
Play like your life depends on it.

basically he designed a pitot/static system that would record airspeed in line of flight providing true glide/ratio information based only on air speeds

John-Pierre Knapp used a similar device attached to his helmet both in the wind tunnel and on skydives during his testing of the S-fly wingsuit several years back. It can be seen in his video presentation that he has given at PIA the last few times.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

John-Pierre Knapp used a similar device attached to his helmet both in the wind tunnel and on skydives during his testing of the S-fly wingsuit several years back. It can be seen in his video presentation that he has given at PIA the last few times.

What's the value of this for us?

Shut the fuck up fool. You ain't Listening:D:D

Kris

{sigh} Well, if you're so inclined, you could, I dunno, maybe contact JPK and share notes on what does and doesn't work? Just trying to help a brutha out so you don't re-invent the wheel{/sigh}
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yo!

Introducing Z-Device - a wingsuit flight characteristics measurement and recording device. It is capable of measuring directly at 10 samples per second:

- total airspeed V
- altitude Y
- components Gv1 and Gv2 of apparent gravity (parallel and perpendicular to velocity, respectively)
- components Gp1 and Gp2 of apparent gravity (parallel and perpendicular to pitch axis, respectively)
- temperature
- (optional) GPS data (4 samples/s)

From the raw data, these flight parameters can be derived:

- horizontal and vertical speeds
- glide ratio
- L/D (which is not equal to G.R., in general)
- adjusted lift and drag coefficients Kl and Kd (and from them, sustained horizontal and vertical speeds for given body position and AoA, and thus - polar curve)
- angle of attack
- lift and drag as functions of AoA

At the core, Z-Device is based on this idea: if an accelerometer is mounted on a vane, the ratio of the components of apparent gravity perpendicular (Gv2) and parallel (Gv1) to the airspeed is equal to [acceleration corrected, true] L/D:

L/D = Gv2/Gv1

In addition, vane allows one to mount static and dynamic Pitot tubes accurately pointing into the relative wind and thus accurately measure airspeed and altitude.

The vane is mounted on a collapsible pod on the belly so before the jump you extend it about a foot away from your body into the clean airflow where it tracks the relative wind.

Another accelerometer is installed on the bellymount and the relative readings of the two accelerometers allow one to calculate the angle between the relative wind and body's pitch axes - that is, the effective angle of attack.

Temperature is measured by a temperature sensor to make corrections to altitude and speed data.

Optionally, GPS sensor can be installed that samples 4 times per second. However, with accurate and true air speed and accelerometer data, GPS can be useful only on BASE jumps.

Also optionally, speed, descent rate, and accelerometer readings can be viewed in real time on a wireless dashboard that can be mounted on belly or chest strap.

For electronics, I used the wonderful Eagle Tree Systems Flight Data Recorder. (The accelerometers I am using are not the ones advertised on their site (which have +/-38g range and are not very accurate, they're custom-made with +/-1.7g chips, providing about 0.005g accuracy)). The total cost of electronics is ~800 bucks.

I made 3 jumps with Z-Device in Z-Hills on New Years Eve, the results so far are promising. The vane is rock stable - no wobbling, it just sits there quietly pointing into smooth relative wind. However, 1ft from the body may not be enough to get the vane away from the boundary layer, as on one jump I could see that the vane got stuck pointing more horizontally than it should have. I will investigate this by attaching wool threads to the stick at different distances from the belly and see where the air becomes 100% clean.

I couldn't calibrate accelerometers due to software issues, so the accelerometer data I got was garbage. This needs more work.

The data will be processed using Kalman filter based on wingsuit equations.

We'll see some amazing stuff in 2008!!! :)
Yuri

Nice work!

All I could think of when looking at the pictures is how you'd never get through security at the airport
:P:D:|

Just tell security you are a storm chaser on assignment with the discovery channel.

I work for Lockheed Martin Missiles & Fire Control in Orlando, and many of our missiles are built in Troy, Alabama. One of my bosses was flying to Troy once to bring them a special tool we had designed to assist in their assembly. Rather than mail it, or pack it in his luggage, he tried to carry it on the plane. When they asked him what it was, he replied defensively, "that's the missile assembly tool!"

He never got that one back... we had to build another. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Here's Z-Schlong
It's long
It's strong
Stays up all night long

But you better have a 2x2" square butthole to get any penetration.

Too bad Z-Weather turned out to be shit this long weekend, my plan was to go to Z-Hills to do more tests. But the day did not suck here regardless, as I won three Nobel Prizes in one day - wingsuits, BASE, and canopy piloting! :)
Chuck, Mike, Justin and others, I'll see you guys this winter for sure, it's always a blast to come to Z-Hills!