virgin-burner

i'll probably get flamed..

Can we split your gear? B|

Seriously though, I see you're jumping in the UK. Are you actually being allowed to jump wingsuits at the DZ's you mention?

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

first one to the crater gets the best stuff!

you know, crashtested, i'm pretty much pushing the envelope already. i jump a wing at 1.2, already have done some WS-ing.. all with one or the others instructors amen to it. actually the canopy was recommended to me by our chief-instructor. i wanted to get a 170 actually.

but you my friend.. i dont want to jump on the bandwagon really. but you my friend are very much likely to fuck yourself up! and i'm not sure how much fun you'll have with the nurses when you're in a wheelchair or worse.

last year i witnessed a guy, somewhere around 300 jumps swooping in. he's never done it before, had no training. not a tiny canopy, but not a huge one either. well, i sat next to impact. about 60ft away. i did not only hear the awful "thump", but literally felt the earth shake. if he'd hit the compressed part of our grass runway.. well, different outcome. broken neck, broken femur.. and a GF that aborted her holidays because of this. he did get some morphium tough, but i dont know if that was worth it.. :)

his recover-arch made him miss the right altitude by only a couple of feet.. mostly everybody at our dropzone jumps with two audibles, digital altimeters and what not. didnt help.

nice guy, got completely shitfaced with him at our boogie. i wouldnt wanted to have seen him dead. he's happy he can still walk and move all his limbs!

happened on our national day, plenty of people at the dropzone, the good thing was, half the people left after the incident. more space on the plane!!! cops there, confiscating his gear n'everything.. not pretty!

and actually, i've decided to wait with all this WS-stuff. see above, jarno, probably a worldclass pilot, offered to take me with him. how cool is that? one of the reasons being, i assume, that i finally "gave in". i havent given up tough! listening to more experienced people is NOT a sign of weakness, but quite the opposite.

and believe me, i would kill for more WS. but i figure, well, i wont if i kill myself before that. somehow, being dead takes all the fun out of skydiving. that sucks.

i also figured, i have different tasks to work on. like stand ups. looks pretty silly if you come in with wingsuit n'all, and fucking buttslide it.. :S

take a step back, work with what you got!

edited to add some more details

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

you know, crashtested, i'm pretty much pushing the envelope already. i jump a wing at 1.2, already have done some WS-ing.. all with one or the others instructors amen to it. actually the canopy was recommended to me by our chief-instructor. i wanted to get a 170 actually.

This is curiousity, and not a jab. Didn't you post recently in the "how are your landings" thread that you have a good deal of trouble with your landings? Or was that previously in your jumping career.

hate landing.. but working on it.. havent had a stand-up in the last 20 landings or so i believe..

Now I haven't done enough wingsuit myself to say if you should or shouldn't be flying one with low jump numbers. But I have to give you kudos for thinking it through!

As an experinced jumper you need to consider the advice or blessings an instructor is giving you.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

i wouldnt consider myself nowhere near experienced, really..

but one of my best mates, with 11'000+ jumps under his belt and over 15yrs in the sport, once tolde me: you're only as good as your last landing! i'd call him experienced, national champion too, skysurfer, swooper.. he's a pro-skydiver and jumps for a living.

that guy broke both his knee-caps long ago, swooping in over the dz, hitting a pole.. :o

went jumping sunday, STRONG winds, windsock was horizontal, and i stood all four of 'em up.. does that make me an awesome canopy pilot or what? :P:):D

and the 1.2-thingy.. well, if our chief gives his ok..:S
guy was selling his rig, asked me, i took it to the boss.. if there was a 170 around, i would of picked that one. i now jump a 150 sabre1.

started out with a balance 230, then a 210, then a 190.. couldnt fly that one for shit, so i went back to the 210, until i got my license. the step down to a 150.. ewww! talking about a pocket rocket for beginners! had plenty of possiblites already to practise flat-turns, break-turns.. i should know enough not to spiral myself into the ground. i'll be happy enough with this canopy for another, couldnt even tell, but lots of jumps..

if i spiral around at altitude.. scary! thats always above 1500ft AGL, i'd like to add..

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

On the relevant to subject note - "getting flamed", here's the update: a "student" of mine (quotes because I taught him everything he knows

There, I fixed it for ya ;)

I don't have enough jumps to say something amazing or useful but I wouldn't jump a wingsuit if I couldn't stand up my landings... nylon prom dresses aren't cheap :P
This isn't flying, its falling with style.

and the 1.2-thingy.. well, if our chief gives his ok..Crazy
guy was selling his rig, asked me, i took it to the boss.. if there was a 170 around, i would of picked that one. i now jump a 150 sabre1.

I hope you could learn respect and patience easier than I did. It was jump #87 just a Navigator, just WL ~ 1.0 and just a broken ankle. The sky is not the limit but the ground is.

and the 1.2-thingy.. well, if our chief gives his ok..Crazy

I hope you could learn respect and patience easier than I did. It was jump #87 just a Navigator, just WL ~ 1.0 and just a broken ankle. The sky is not the limit but the ground is.

i know, the ground is mate.. dont you worry. have you read all the other stuff, or only that part?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

On the relevant to subject note - "getting flamed", here's the update: a "student" of mine (quotes because I taught him everything he knows

There, I fixed it for ya ;)

I don't have enough jumps to say something amazing or useful but I wouldn't jump a wingsuit if I couldn't stand up my landings... nylon prom dresses aren't cheap :P

i rented it, couldnt care less.. ;)

he did have to wash it tough after i jumped it.. :D:D:D

deserved him right for letting me jump it in the first place.. that'll teach him!!! :D:D:D

sorry man, if you read this, you know who you are.. B|
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Get a qualified instructor or waste you money.

Back in the Stone Ages Dave and I made an apointment at a Norther Ca DZ to fly wingsuits and get instruction from a well know instructor.

The instructor left the DZ before we got there and the DZ swapped instructors for someone else who was "well qualified". The ground instruction was brief but seemed OK. The flight was a different thing entirely. The Instructor could not stay up with us on the jump so the video was not of great use on all but 2 of the jumps.

Basically the debriefings were a waste of time.

Turned out the "well qualified instructor" actually had less than a dozen wingsuit jumps and so I looked up the origional instructor and booked another complete course.

Ed's instruction was much more inclusive and we uncovered a couple DANGEROUS things the unqualified instructor had told us.

Thanks again Ed for all the good instruction.
Working to be the last flyer on a birdman suit. ;-)
Who also flies a tony suit.

Get a qualified instructor or waste you money.

Back in the Stone Ages Dave and I made an apointment at a Norther Ca DZ to fly wingsuits and get instruction from a well know instructor.

The instructor left the DZ before we got there and the DZ swapped instructors for someone else who was "well qualified". The ground instruction was brief but seemed OK. The flight was a different thing entirely. The Instructor could not stay up with us on the jump so the video was not of great use on all but 2 of the jumps.

Basically the debriefings were a waste of time.

Turned out the "well qualified instructor" actually had less than a dozen wingsuit jumps and so I looked up the origional instructor and booked another complete course.

Ed's instruction was much more inclusive and we uncovered a couple DANGEROUS things the unqualified instructor had told us.

Thanks again Ed for all the good instruction.

I think you talking about when I worked at Skydance? I was never told you guys had booked anything or I would have contacted you about my change of DZ's, sorry. As I said in a previous post, ask other ws pilots as to whom you should get qualified instruction from, BM/PF Instructor rating or not. Clearly the DZ thought some Yahoo with 12 ws jumps was qualified. :S

Your welcome for the training, Bob. Hope to see you in May. :)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com