virgin-burner

i'll probably get flamed..

Not gay! No scallops for me.:$

I wouldn't be so sure about that....... And no, the picture isn't photoshopped....... :D

Ed

looks quite like the skygod there, uh!? :P

edited to add: AND pretty gay too!!! :D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Righteous! I knew I could get that picture posted with a simple comment.:).

Nice pic on the phone BTW is that a 4 megapixl or something?

You know I couldn't pass that up, Buddy :P I actually have it up as my screen saver right now. :D
And you haven't graduated past the sock puppet master, so what makes you think your even close to being a monkey puppet master..... B|:D:P

BTW, it's only 1.3 mege pixel.

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Hi Everybody. My first post. I became a skydiver so I could fly a wingsuit, and now have achieved my dream. Just shows what determination can do, because it hasn't come easy. That AFF jump I flunked is right there any time I get too cocky – thought for sure I was seconds from death. The second wingsuit flight is the same thing, but I survived it, and with 9 of them now, I'm starting to feel comfortable and have fun. No flames necessary to tell me how far I have yet to go, thanks.
I'm wearing a Tony suit, Intro, which I can't say enough good about. For a beginner like me, it is a lifesaver, at least once. Jeff did his best to teach me how to fly it, but I'm an old dog, (57,) and don't catch on as quick as I used to. Any good things about my flying are his credit; my mistakes are my own. To see what I'm talking about, here is my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ay-6dK6SGo. Once again, no flames are necessary, but what the hell, have some fun. I sure did.
Yeah, I've only got 179 jumps... I was even shorter on my numbers when I made my first one last month, but if anyone wants to revive the number argument I can make a pretty good case for myself. Here it is: I did 100 tracking jumps in the 6 months prior to my trip to Z-hills, many of them in a Phoenix tracking suit. I learned back flying, barrel rolls, front and back loops, and wing pulls pretty well before attempting a wingsuit. And, most importantly, the wing is my obsession, and I'm too old to fool around. I've done it now, and quite frankly, if my next flight is my last one, it was all worth it. I would say the same about every jump I've made, especially the first wing jump. That was so sweet that nothing anybody says will make me sorry for doing it. I did make a flight in my tracking suit before Jeff let me fly, and he spent a lot of time with me on instruction. That, combined with the ease of use of the Intro, made it reasonably safe, at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Anyway, my name is Ed Cummings. I live near New Orleans. My home drop zone is Gold Coast, Mississippi. They have an Otter, but are only open on weekends. I would like to see some birds flying above the DZ. So far it's just me, but if any of y'all get a chance, it would be great to have some company. Send me an email if you will be passing through and we can set something up. [email protected].
Blue Skies!
But what do I know?

You'll probably get flamed here since you were 21 jumps short of the gold standard of the monkeys. :)

On the relevant to subject note - "getting flamed", here's the update: a "student" of mine (quotes because I did not teach him anything that common sense cannot tell and all of his further progress is 100% his achievement) whom I took for a couple of introductory flights with 78 jumps under his belt (30-40 of which were in PF tracking suit specifically in preparation for WS) can now fly for 3 minutes and 6 seconds over 11,000ft of altitude IN PRODIGY with exit weight 250lbs. That's 17 seconds average per 1000ft in Prodigy with exit weight 250lbs. (he's about 6'3" or 6'4" but that's only ~10% increase in surface area compared to 6' person that can account only for 5% increase in freefall time)

That's TALENT.

I bet a cold shiny Sapporo that NONE of the monkeys in this thread can do that. (don't forget to match 250lbs with lead, yo?)

:)

Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Hi Ed

I dout you get flamed. You were close to the recommended numbers to fly a wingsuit. Glad you survived your 2nd flight too. ;) I saw the Intro last weekend, it's a nice looking beginner suit. Good luck on your flights, I hope you find someone else to fly with.

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Yuri, I'd say you still haven't understood it.

Sure, those are great numbers, and I'd like to be that good.

But the proof of the pudding will be tasted when he goes unstable right after exit. At 1800'. From a jumpship with a freshly dead engine. Or something like that - i.e. less than ideal circumstances. It might eat him alive.

I hope he never has to find out, and fortunately the odds are against it.

I'm a grumpy conservative spoilsport, I know, I know.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Ed, welcome to flight! :)
While reading your post, I was initially amazed someone your age hadn't learned patience yet. But I can see where the years start counting, and you'd feel 'too old to fool around' (oh come on old man, 57 ain't old B|).

I hope you find your flock, and if I'm ever in the general vicinity of Gold Coast, I'll shoot you an email. Enjoy!

Johan.
I am. I think.

Ed,

I met you when you came down to zhills with sub 100 jumps. I was happy to see your patience when we told you to wait and get more jumps. Loved to see your enthusiasm! I was happy that you got to do what you are so obviously passionate about...the very thing that got you into skydiving.

My only hope in all of this, to you, to Virgin Burner, and anyone else who pursues this discipline early in their skydiving carrier is this....

Take time to learn belly flying, take time to learn free flying....take time! Even if you aren't passionate about them, they WILL teach you skills that will make you a better wing suit pilot. You will learn about sharing airspace and larger formations. You will feel burbles, you will feel what it is like when someone slams into you...you will learn to be more cautious! You will experience canopy flight and might even get a mal or 2 which will better prepare you for when it goes pear shaped with a ws.

You will learn how to fly your body in sometimes unusual positions. You will learn to FLY your body...long before you ever put on a WS again. You will learn how to approach a formation, how to leave one, and how to get back UP to one...all SAFELY! You will learn how far you cannopy can fly...so you will not fly yourself off the dz (unless your with purple mike). You will improve your canopy skills so you don't biff in on your $1000 suit (unless your purple mike :ph34r:)!

The list can go on and on...

You got out there and flew a ws...good for you! Now you know what you are working for. Please, please, please sit back now and do yourself a favor. There is much to be learned from the rest of the sport....don't exclude yourself from it! You'll have fun, this I guarantee you! Maybe you might even convince some other non-wing suiters to come give it a chance! Just make sure they have over 200 jumps ;)

Oh yeah and ed....don't forget to FLARE!!!

Yuri, That is amazing. That is a fall rate of about 40 mph, which seems really good for anyone, let alone a new guy. How about some other experts weighing in on personal best hang times. Right now my sights are set on 2 minutes, which I think I'll attain within the next 10 flights. Aim low - key to my success
But what do I know?

As for being patient Johan, my long range goal is to recreate a video I saw the summer of 06, and that may take a while. The video is of a guy named Max flying off a cliff in Italy. I had never even heard of wingsuits or made a skydive, but I decided then and there to do it. It will be a while yet before I'll be ready for base jumping, and I will follow the same path as I have so far: Get the best instruction, use good equipment, try and make it as easy as possible for myself, and believe it or not, be patient. You're right, 57 isn't that old, but I don't have forever, and there is still a ways to go.
But what do I know?

Enjoy the now. Do a lot of skydives. Explore other disciplines. All excellent advice, and pretty much what I did after getting my license at Cal City in June. I was fortunate enough to be in Raeford for a 4-Way scramble in September, and even got a medal. That video is online too; If you see me in it you will wonder just how bad the competition was, lol, but I learned a lot and had a ton of fun. Some of my tracking dives have been more freeflying than tracking, but I hate losing the freefall time, so am not big on that discipline. I will never strap a surfboard on my feet before jumping. No, I've sampled all the skydiving I want to, and love it all, but now that I've tasted flight... I want to wear my wingsuit like my own skin and fly through the air as sure as a bird. Sure, I'll do fun jumps with my family and friends; there won't be anything preventing me from making those jumps. But when it's just me, my first choice will be streaking across the sky.
Base wingsuiting is indeed the pinnacle of human endeavor. Skydiving is dangerous, let no one believe otherwise. You can do everything right and still die. If you base jump you probably will be injured or killed sooner or later. I do not approach this lightly, and am taking my time before even starting base. The fact is, I'm having too much fun with what I'm doing to risk it all on something like that, not to mention being far, far, from ready. Oh yeah, I'm out of money now too. Now that is the REAL danger of skydiving.
But what do I know?

so, i was to this other dropzone last weekend. seems, this and another one, have the most wingsuiters. they also rent out prodigy's. well, started talking about it, told 'em about my ventures.. and if they'd rent me out a prodigy! just for asking, i'd like to mention. they said, i should get another 4 or 5 WS-jumps in with the guys i was already at.. :)

i thought, that was a damn funny comment! :D:D:D

i wanna do more wingsuiting.. but if things go on like that, middle of summer, i'll have my recommended numbers.. and consistent stand-ups. i'd hate to fuck up a 1000$ piece of equipment.. but more so, i'd hate to fuck up myself..

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

and consistent stand-ups. i'd hate to fuck up a 1000$ piece of equipment.. but more so, i'd hate to fuck up myself..

There are some good 2nd hand options, meaning you only fuck up a 300$ piece of equipment if you slide in over a gravel road:P

By the time you want to start flying again, and/or go looking for a suit, drop me a line, and we'll meet on a DZ around here, and well guide you where needed (no charge.)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Theres at least 6 people i would die just to jump with on this thread. :P

Virgin burner you are funny, and for that i have a sticker 4 you, rock on my man, its nice to see some other progressive newbies apart from me.

the instructor who took you out- shocking yet funny

The guy who has been jumping for 15 years and took out a 53 jump student - if they got the skills to pay the bills... rock out with your cock out.

The guys with imaginary wingsuit coaching ratings - opps!

The guy who flames everyone - shame on you.

And just to finish with, and to make sure the flaming of noobs continues..

This sport is about progressing at your own pace, not at others, i'm sorry if it took some of you 1000's of jumps b4 you got your wings, but for some of us we took this sport up to push the envolope in our lives, thats just the way it is. and FTR when i break myself i don't want or need you to remind me of what i said... I for one happen to like nurses and the NHS and the time off work....

I love you all, regardless of what you say about me behind my back.:)
Hinton on the weekend - and langer monday and tuesday, i'm there if any of you crazy boys and girls want to join us. I may even buy you a beer