virgin-burner

i'll probably get flamed..

I agree ... It's the poor decisions that can kill you. Never rely on anyone else for your well-being. If you choose to increase your odds of injury or death it's your own fault.

and then

If your not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

:|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

just cool it.. to be honest, i wouldnt give myself a parachute in hands. still there were other people that said, ok, you've passed aff, this and that, eventually someone decided i was good enough to be given a license. how did i change my odds regarding injury or death? when i got a drivers license, how did this change my odds? on both occasions, i decided to do the activity. i was trained by other people to do whatever. they eventually tested i was ok to do it without supervision.

now, come wingsuiting: i knew i didnt have half the required jumps, didnt even knew that some required 500 jumps. i didnt knew some required a certain time in the sport. well, obviously i do know BS. anyway, i was given a torough training, easy tasks, i knew what not to do on those first jumps.. easy suit as well. not all that bad. if i'd given the guy a second thought i could do it, he wouldnt let me jump.

i decided that i wanted to try. someone else gave me a training and approved i was ready to do it. like many other times before. i decided i wanted to take that unnecessary risk, as i already did with skydiving and driving. i didnt change my odds in anyway more or less than i did with the other! well, they're kind of accumulating probably.

and once again, i dont believe any of you that say they wouldnt have tried it, if it was offered to you.. ;)

the only usuable info on the whole thing i got was in IM-chats and/or pm's.. like, do a lot of rw, lots of tracking, get at least another 100 jumps in.. nah, not quite a handful of posts here were informative. now, if i didnt knew just a little of how a bad boy i was, and then bragued some on on the internet. asking, like, what shall i do now? that bashing around only makes me want to jump some more wingsuits badly.. :o:D
but i will try not to. as i know i shouldnt. as i know i shouldnt even skydive or drive my little, crazy, fast car for that matter..

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

and once again, i dont believe any of you that say they wouldnt have tried it, if it was offered to you.. ;)

Maybe I'm too conservative, but it *was* offered to me as early as 90 jumps, and I turned it down. Not because of the regs, but because I didn't feel I was ready. Given the troubles I experienced on my first jump, I'm glad I waited.
The story of crossing the freeway blindfolded applies here. One day or another, something will happen. If you're not prepped for it...
And therein lies the reason for the recommended number of jumps.

Though I fully understand your urge to want to fly...comparing it to AFF and a car licence does strike me as odd..

Both of those require a lot of practical EXPERIENCE before you are set loose into the dangerous world out there...
In wingsuits, there isnt an easy/safe way to practice. And doing it 'full on' is theonly way to make a first jump with wings. Be it with a set of suitable wings and good instruction

But this instruction, no matter how good, is only comparable to the THEORETICAL part of both AFF and/or a driving licence. The bare minimum (though some disagree on that number) is deemed a small background in skydiving in which you HANDS ON experience and learn some form of control and mental abillity to deal with situations...right and wrong....

Though there is always someone who can stand up and point out a peron who did otherwise and did well...tell me...

skydiving...base...wingsuits.....they are not going anywhere....they will be here longer then me, you and everyone reading here today...

Why the rush....? If you are serious about wanting this..show a little spine and put some effort into it...instead of the lazy route which some deem the rebel/cool way...

Its not....its stupid....and take that from someone who seen and done plenty of stupid things....

Take it easy...take it slow....and when the time comes we'll gladly bring you up to speed and help...There's just no point in rushing this....

You've had a taste....now work on getting the full meal...

200 aint a magic number...even at 5000 jumps you could still suck horribly...and plenty of those people ARE out there flying wingsuits...But try and see why this minimum requirement was made up.....Its not something made up just to annoy you...or limit you....its there to try and keep you safe...

and as good as the instruction may have been...the person that taught you doesnt seem to have your well being in mind, and unless he made those 80 previous jumps holding your hand and analysing what you did on them, doesnt know a thing about your skills or mental awereness .....though many claim a 5 minute talk is all it takes to find out....

whatever you do....learn and be safe
No need to make mistakes others have already made for you...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

after reading your instructions on how to become a real bird-man I started feeling that i wasted too much money on my AFF... why?! someone just had to instruct me and make sure that I'm ok....

thank you, dear, for this enlightenment:D

well, if you would read and understand right, you'd see i've given no instruction at all. what i shared was my experience. no more no less.

your mommy should have given you a slap every now and then. its probably to late now. your only addition to this thread was some sarcasm. and not so funny as you might think. besides that, assuming your jump-nr.'s are right, you seem to be full on when it comes to questions better answered by someone qualified. given your own strong moral and ethical beliefs, you're just badly outing yourself as a hypocrit.

mmmk!? ;)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

i have a hard time believing this.. :)

you know, i suck at landing. badly. if someone offered a velo no matter what size, i would turn it down. half the jumps i did were tracking jumps. i've been on 8-way track dives. i always did quite well in freefall. i think i have pretty quick reflexes. i did have some trouble on my jumps too. from a slight flat spin that i got out of instantly the way i was showed. didnt even try box-position. linetwists on opening, zack-zack, wings detached, free hands for troubleshooting..

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

have a hard time all you want. I waited. First wingsuit jump happened after 400 jumps for me.
Your gig is your gig, but you sound exactly like a number of posters in this community that are no longer with us. They had fast reflexes too, they were exceptional, they were world-class __________.
IMO, you'll probably do better saying "f**k you all, I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do" rather than try to justify why you're better than everyone else that waited at least, until they had the recommended number of jumps.

for fucks sake! :D

i did show spine already in putting this up here! already expecting the uh-so-clever "you're dead meat!"-comments. i know this stuff isnt going anywhere. and i dont want to leave them early, because i do want to do this!

when i started skydiving, i already knew it was for me. but yea, you never know, maybe you suck already when trying to get into a jumpsuit.. my first skydive i remember hardly, on the second i was scared shitless.. to a point where i hesitated getting to the door. having an instructor in your front already hanging out, and a second in your back pushing you forward kinda helps that.. :D

you know, 200 jumps doesnt sound so bad at all. honest, i mean that. the taste was great, i've had fun!
but didnt the guy say: "only 10 or 15 jumps more with that prodigy and then you can.."? i've had a little bit of an impression he was there to make a quick buck or two..

and talk about being mentally aware, seldomly enough i am, but i was just as much as that winterday was clear and crisp..

i tried to book some ff-coaching today. :)

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

pretty much from aff 5 on, why, havent you? wether your instructior sucked, you lacked the reflexes or you sucked.. now let me go and find another base-mentor that doesnt ask x jumps. maybe i should nail la mousse with a WS, i mean i want things to be interesting.

ha-ha!
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

You asked what people thought of your actions, and seemingly got an answer you didnt like...

Acting all bitter is not going to change anything.

You had to pay for instruction from someone who doesnt seem to have your safety in mind. No matter how good the instruction was, you lack the experience and also show the invincibillity/ahead of 'the curve' thinking a lot of low timers have before doing stupid stuff.

Dont act all hurt and surprised when other people tell you the same thing you already knew before getting into it...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Your comment makes no sense at all. Then again you are a newbie who thinks he knows. But shows in your responses that you know nothing. And you sound foolish... Foolish can kill you. But it has been entertaining,
Let's put the FUN back in Funeral

Life is a Freefall Enjoy!!
MUFF #2760

I'm no wingsuit expert, but in my opinion you'd be making a huge mistake if you focus your skydiving to train specifically for wingsuits. You'd miss out on a lot of skills you'll need in general. I'd focus on RW... afterall, wingsuit flocks are just a type of RW. It will make you a better, safer skydiver in all disciplines that involve jumping in groups.

Dave

Whats the quickest/best way into wingsuits?

Just jump and have fun!
There are some 'training dives' we could post here...but that would mostly be to give you the 'idea' you are doing practice jumps...but (in my view) wont actually teach you anything tangiable when it comes to flying awingsuit.

Just going to a DZ and having fun in FF or RW will teach you much more about flying in different orientations, speeds, levels, awarreness during a jump and at breakoff and flying skills than ay solo 'practice dive' can. And having other people around for direct feedback on what your moves/motions/body is doing to you fall/fight is much better feedback.

Just go out there and have fun...that's all you need to do...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

with the amount of such replies, most would end up all bitter 70 replies and all you get out is: that was stupid, you'll kill yourself. ok, ya'll might be right, well, then make a useful suggestion.

i dont think i'm ahead of the curve as you call it. as i pointed out a couple of times, i knew it wasnt the safest thing to do, so instructor and myself worked on still keeping it "safe".

and thats pretty much my last response to this completely useless thread. only one more thing: if all instructors i know acted like jerks, i dont think i'd have the jumps i'm having now. in fact, i wouldnt even have started this.. i might not know much about skydiving/wingsuiting, but i know that for people to feel welcome, you should invite them friendly and help them out. especially if they're asking for advice. you might be a "skygod", but you can be an asshole as well, or at least, have the attitude of one.. not that you do! at least you took the time to write something rather lengthy and good stuff, instead of posting silly one-liners..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

i know that for people to feel welcome, you should invite them friendly and help them out. especially if they're asking for advice.

You may not realise..but the 10 page write-ups, one liners and people telling you to wait ARE all ment as advice, with your well-being and now and future enjoyment of the sport as a #1 priority..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

You act like this is odd, that virgin burner jumped a beginner wingsuit with 80 jumps or something.

thats common place in california and the well respected BMIs lend a hand to people of comporable levels. it might be because we are so god damned talented and over all quick learners here in the trend setting west coast of the best country in the world (joke) or it might be that the internet crew is just rather old fashioned. many of the jumpers around here that are keen to wingsuit fly give it a go around 40 jumps. i felt ready to give my skyfler a go at 35 jumps. no problem doing that and no problem getting into an airplane.

it is just a piece of clothing. it is specifically designed for skydiving and thats what we are using it for.