virgin-burner

i'll probably get flamed..

Come on Ed, who is the most dangerous, underqualified, inarticulate, self proclaimed wingsuit instructor you personally know?!?....................

That would be meB| and I have over a 100 happy qualified nuggets pass through my extra yahoo suits to go on to be productive, satisfied and safe wingsuit citizens. This shit is so easy even a retired guy like Ira can teach himself to do it! Wanna see the video?

Hey, it's called "Prodigy" for a reason. ;) While it's best to get more jump numbers to set up a solid foundation before you go full tilt on the wingsuit, a couple jumps on the Prodigy really aren't a big deal at 80 jumps. With the right training, candidate, and simplicity in flight planning, I don't see a problem. It's always case-by-case, but from the sound of it, there's really no need to reprimand this poster.

even i said i didnt think it was a good idea to that guy.

Maybe a silly question, but why did you even get on the plane then?

Ignoring the whole minimum experience level discussion, why would you do something potentialy dangerous, knowing you dont have the recommended experience, and thinking its a bad idea even before boarding the plane?

Your writing style seems to indicate you knew all too well what you were getting into?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

kinda, yea, sure.. but as i also stated, briefing was in-deep, i had a strict and simple fly plan.. not all that bad, was it?

then, you know, since i'm addicted, what now? probably get more experience first. now that the addiction is REALLY started.. :P

if you walked away, it was a safe skydive. and you know, i'm rather fixed on safe stuff than not. but just couldnt help it, be honest, wouldnt you have done it in my situation?

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

if you walked away, it was a safe skydive.

Ive seen (and been on) some skydives from which everyone walked away, but they sure as were not safe..

No comments on the way you handled the jump, just on the way you decided to make it..

but just couldnt help it, be honest, wouldnt you have done it in my situation?

I had a good friend who flew wingsuits a lot when I was fresh off the staticline, and I wanted to get into that as soon as I could.
Jump number 360 was my first wingsuit jump.

Would I have done it in your situation? no..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

You made a jump that you didn't feel quite right about, so you repeated it, then you just had to go on the internet to tell everyone what a bad boy you are.

As happened to me, I hope somebody at your DZ has experience at slapping down (not quite) 100 jump wonder egos.

There is good reason for limits to down sizing canopies, getting tandem ratings, jumping camera, becoming and instructor, doing display jumps, flying wingsuits etc etc. The rules are written in blood from experiance and not the refuge of a select few skygods.

There is such a fine line between success and failure. We recently lost a very talented and highly experiance instructor because of that fine line. After you have buried a few friends your attitude will change.

Glad you lived

---------------------------------------------
If you don't have wings you will never fly

You did great but don't suck your own cock yet.

I took a guy up with 54 jumps and he nailed it! The dude was flying the WS like he's done it 100 times before. Oh he was wearing a real WS not a tracking suit.

WS is easy, everything is easy if you find the right person to show you how easy everything is.

Steer away from anybody telling you anything is hard, because in most cases they do think it's hard so they have no fucking clue how to teach it.

I could positively teach this guy how to haul tandems or base in less than 1 hour and he'll do just fine, and probably better than 90% of the TI and base jumpers out there. I shit you not!

Can anyone with 50 jumps go up and have fun with a WS? No, but there are people who can.

Only chose he/she who can teach solely based on his/her wisdom, not knowledge.

if you walked away, it was a safe skydive.

Worst. Logic. Ever.

If you play Russian Roulette and live, did that make it safe? And NO I am not comparing what you did to Russian Roulette. I am just using a more clear example to ruin your poor logic.

I have walked away from many unsafe jumps. [:/] I'm always glad that I'm driving home with no broken bones or worse, but still beating myself up mentally, over whatever stupid mistake I made, for days to come.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

:):):):):)

i'll consider this two jumps to be some of the most important skydives of my so long short career in the sport. i wont do it again.

now, how the hell am i gonna get another 80 or 160 jumps in before next season? i wanna do that again!! quick!!!
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Seeing we live at roughly the same spot on the globe (be it a bit more east on your behalf) you should be able to get 100 or so jumps in between now and the summer..I always do..

Just find a DZ that doesnt mind clouds that much..B|

And if you want to give wingsuit a serious full on 'go', drop by in Belgium for a long weekend, and we'll gladly take you on some fun formations and help you learn to fly circles around other people (intentional);):P

Cheerio!
Jellyman

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

do i get a skygod-badge with it!? :P AND i do need a hug to.. :)

what a shame! jump in for the xmas-boogie! i dont think there will be to much jumping in the netherlands at this time of the year anyway?

i could get a personal ass-whooping, we get to share a beer and you have the chance to tell me some stories, how about that?

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

So you were confident @ 54 jumps that not only could this guy fly a wing suit, but that he could spot the plane, deal with malfunctions with the added gear, had the canopy skills and wherewithall to make it back to the landing area and the ability to safely land his canopy. There is more to skydiving than just flying the suit or falling out of the sky.

I wonder if you went over ALL of the bad shit that COULD happen, or did you toss him out the door and tell him "Don't even worry about it dude, your gonna be fine"?

As an instructor you have the responsibility to let your student know all of the negatives along with the positives. It is never an instructors right to not be forthcoming about possible negative outcome.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

So you were confident @ 54 jumps that not only could this guy fly a wing suit, but that he could spot the plane, deal with malfunctions with the added gear, had the canopy skills and wherewithall to make it back to the landing area and the ability to safely land his canopy

Yes and he did it. He spotted, flew the pattern as planned, opened upwind from the target in 40 MPH uppers, made it back, landed 10' from the pees, and stood up the landing with a big smile (most important part).

There is more to skydiving than just flying the suit or falling out of the sky.

Like opening and flying a canopy? How hard is that anyway? Oh you mean cuttingaway? One handle or two in most cases, one is his case but he did not need to.

I wonder if you went over ALL of the bad shit that COULD happen, or did you toss him out the door and tell him "Don't even worry about it dude, your gonna be fine"?

Both. I went over what could go wrong and what do do in order to live. However before leaving the plane I told him to go out relax and kill it. I did not toss him out of the door. He tossed himself out of it.

As an instructor you have the responsibility to let your student know all of the negatives along with the positives. It is never an instructors right to not be forthcoming about possible negative outcome.

BS, there is no negative. There are possible problems that could occur but still lead to a positive outcome if proper instruction is given and followed, and proper instruction was given and followed.

..with my low jumpnumbers as i've read here..

the instructor said i was gonna be alright!

well, anyway, i did two jumps with a prodigy today! that was friggin' awesome, i'm sure my performance sucked, but at least i had gotten a feel for it. for a couple of seconds, it got all very quiet! that was way cool..

i'm surprised how much power you have to put into this, or i was just to cramped up.. but yea, premature birthday present that was for me, and most of all, i've had a blast!!!

i needed that lately..

hey man congrats..:)