newone

Bird-man wingsuit made of Parapack

Hi everybody,

I was in the process of ordering a new wingsuit and I was wondering if any of you guys have or jumped a wingsuit made with the new "parapack" fabric.

It seems to be a little bit stronger than the usual fabric they were using.

Does it affect flying performances if it's made of parapack?

Why someone should order a suit made of parapack?

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks

Rick B|

my winsguit is made of parapack but its not a BM suit.

Its brilliant - very durable and much hardier than anything else - i have washed my suit a few times in the machine and its perfect.

The only downside i would say is that the stuff is thicker and thus hotter and a sunny day.

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

My suit is made of Parapack 420 and I love it.

It is much more durable and it inflates to a more rigid surface than lighter materials. So, I say it improves performance.
WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

Parapack is far, far more durable than parachute fabric.

Yes, but is its porosity compared to ZP a detriment or a non event on the impact of performance when it comes to wingsuits? I was wondering this very question now that BM has offered it as an option. Not that I'm about to accuse any company of brilliant design over this until its proven.

Sorry, didn't see BM started offering parapack too. (just looked at their site) kinda interesting..
just as interesting as their price drop of 420$ in the blade. I'd be annoyed if i bought one for $1600.:S

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Isn't the parapack on the Tonys sandwiched over a second layer thats windproof ? I've only seen one blade and it was the custom jet pack blade.

The Blade you've seen (as far as I know) was made from the normal zero-p (But may have had some parapak pannels to be a little more heat-resistant)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

to be a little more heat-resistant

yeah, that would be needed when you are streaking so fast down towards the earth like a comet:D;)

I only just watched the item a week ago on Discovery channel, but given the quoted 7000 ft exit, and the +- 20 seconds it took for the engines to fire up fully, the 2 minute flight and distance he seemingly got, looked quite impressive to me...

It may just be a plaything for now (and media 'achievements' are quite often a seperate things from real achievements and records:P) but look how far Ives Rossy has come with his 'toy'.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I'd like to see a Tony suit built with ZP. This may sound strange coming from a guy who's already shredded two ZP Birdsuits and flies the most hacked-over tattered-ass S6 out there, but I think its comfier and lighter. I've tried on a handful of M1's. I'll agree without hesitation that it has its major benefits, its 1000% tougher and a shitload easier to work with.
But its HEAVY. So far every Mach suit I've tried on was excruciatingly uncomfortable, like wearing a duffel bag. This may be more due to the fact that I have yet to find one that fit me right, but the fabric just felt way too coarse. It makes a great outer-hull material but doesn't feel remotely clothinglike to me. Don't suppose they have any plans to build one with a light clothingy sort of jacketlike liner?
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

I think most of the Classic I's also had a body made out of parapak (or compare-able type fabric), and looking at those 'old' suits now, its clear wear and tear is not an issue there. Where-as most 'often used' old suits, end up looking more and more like a collection of patches and fixed seems.

The 'new' materials are definately the way forward...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?