mattlong

S-Fly Access

Again, there's a time-saving device called a "search button"

Also a FAQ (did you read it?), which among others states

7. There are too many to choose from, how do I know which one I should buy!?

Searching the old posts on the dropzone.com wingsuit forum will usually provide you with user reviews of all the suits.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

HAHA...very pleasant reply indeed.

Matt, where are you jumping?

Scott Gray & I have a S-Fly Access in our wingsuit academy inventory at SD Orange (VA). You are welcome to come out and try some suits out.

PM me if interested.
WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

acro, aerobat, phantom, firebird are a few suits that would give you more bang for your buck and better chance at resale. If you like the mono-wing style of flying, there is no reason why one couldn't get/fly a S-fly expert of the access.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

acro, aerobat, phantom, firebird are a few suits that would give you more bang for your buck and better chance at resale.

All the models you mention target a very different customer base than the access. The only alternative to the Access is the Prodigy from PhoenixFly. I prefer it to the Access because it fly very much like the bigger wingsuit with a "real" wingsuit position and pull sequence.

prodigy is the way to go bro flies like a proper wingsuit and is quite safe and easy to fly easier to fly than the f.ex tube 3 tracking suit even. phoenix fly used to recommend 150 jumps before flying it got mine for 250 euros and after 10 jum was ready to fly a bigger suit. hope this helps ps you will be able to resell this suit as for the access very few wold bother buying second hand, just my two cents for whats its worth.

Hi Matt,

I'm an S-Fly Instructor in the UK - I have the odd Access and Indy wingsuits for training. Drop me a PM with an email address or a phone number and we'll have a chat.

Good training tools but have their limitations or odd querks so still need to be a solid skydiver first and wingsuiter second. I know the odd UK person who has brought a beginner suit from new just to learn abroad as they have low jump numbers who has then struggled to get permission to carry on back in the UK let alone the expense of a suit.

I learnt on the Access myself back in 2009 before progressing to the Expert and I now fly their Verso and Fury models, by choice. I also coach with the Indy or any other suits people already own or have borrowed.

Regards,
Ross

Edited P.S. With the BPA Wingsuit Manual limiting a sub-500 jumper (i.e. someone with a currency of 200 in 18 months) to a first flight in a beginner/tracking suit, you are limited to the Access, the Indy, the Prodigy and the I-Bird / Intro in my opinion - Any UK Coaches please correct me if I am wrong. Unless of course there is some local or informal DZ agreement (between the Wingsuit Coach and the Chief Instructor etc.) to fly something different. And Yes, the Access has an unusal arm position but that didn't stop me getting 110s out of the suit!
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Edited P.S. With the BPA Wingsuit Manual limiting a sub-500 jumper (i.e. someone with a currency of 200 in 18 months) to a first flight in a beginner/tracking suit, you are limited to the Access, the Indy, the Prodigy and the I-Bird / Intro in my opinion - Any UK Coaches please correct me if I am wrong.

I've never seen any BPA definition of what a "Training wingsuit" is. Therefore, I'd happily include under that umbrella any wingsuit that the manufacturer says is suitable for first flight courses or beginner wingsuiters, such as the Acro, Shadow, Phantom, Swift, Firebird etc.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Jakee,
I don't disagree that there are other suits suitable for early wingsuit jumps.
Having personally spoken to the author (lead author) about this in the past and what "was intended" you have; a) not wanting to have a document that is out of date within a short period, and b) a beginner suit that must allow access to canopy controls and ease/safety for landing without need to unzip. For example, short or ultra wide wings, escape sleeves or ease of reach design. Basically, not a full/intermediate wingsuit.
My point -off topic so apologies- is just that UK wingsuit coaches need to be careful, in my opinion, their actions justifiable, under current association documentation. Let alone balancing this against manufacturer recommendations and their safety/experience guidance.
Ross
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Having personally spoken to the author (lead author) about this in the past and what "was intended" you have; a) not wanting to have a document that is out of date within a short period, and b) a beginner suit that must allow access to canopy controls and ease/safety for landing without need to unzip.

Oh, right. So a Squirrel Colugo or an Apache is OK then?

My point -off topic so apologies- is just that UK wingsuit coaches need to be careful, in my opinion, their actions justifiable, under current association documentation. Let alone balancing this against manufacturer recommendations and their safety/experience guidance.

On that basis I'm quite happy to stand by my first post.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hi,

Welcome to dz.com and the world of wingsuiting.

The expert, in my experience, needs forward speed (compared to the phantoms and shadows which are easier to float in, more responsive), hence, flying with legs out and using your head as an accelerator.

The position taught to me is to stand about 1ft back from a door frame, legs apart and arms out, palms facing forward. Then come up on to your toes and lean forward so your upper arms (biceps) make contact with the door frame. You want to be strong, pushing up the line of your body, from your toes up through your core to your shoulders and upper arms. Your arms are in line with your torso, a strong core, and torso in line with your legs. Your forearms and hands relaxed (not tense) keeping the shape of the wing. Flying palms down in the air (forward when lent on the door frame) you can turn your fingers to point back towards your feet to help lock your elbow strengthening the leading edge of your wing. Basically, a very flat albeit head low position - a neutral but fast position from which you can move up/down or forward/back, when flying relative to somone else.

Lent again the door frame - strong legs - you can tap into that speed with your head looking down and pushing chest out/down. Looking up will lead to the air eventually hitting your chest slowing you down - like in deployment looking 45deg above the horizon as part of the good strong arch and shutting down all your wings.

Lent against the door again you can cup your chest, like trying to push your sternum through back up and out through your spine to go up. You can then play with rolling your shoulders to dig in a bit more to cup more air. Everything from the waist down staying still. It's like using your torso to change the cross-sectional shape of your whole body, the wing, but need air going over the wing from your forward speed (strong legs) to do anything.

Lying off the end of a flat training trolley (aka creeper pad) is another way of practicing the position that I learnt on here from Douglas Spotted Eagle and you periodically see in first flight course photos.

Hope this helps. Try you tubing 'flock & dock 7 - trailer &movie' featuring me in a blue and white expert thanks to Jarno or MORE importantly 'loic jean-albert' flying down the slopes of mont blanc years ago..... lol.

Ross
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com