talon1206

First cut away and reserve ride

I am new to wing suit flying (with only 10 jumps and a Birdman Classic) but I felt that this should get posted here so I might be abel to get some better feedback from other winsuit pilots.

As a skydiver I am pretty current: I coach and fly video at my DZ as well as fun jump when I can. I log at least 4 jumps a weeknd (182 DZ, where we average 8-10 loads on jump days)

After a Wingsuit Jump with 2 experienced wing suit pilots where I completed my first barrel rolls (beer), I deployed my main canopy at 4500 feet. On deployment I had 2 line twists. I think my body was in a “fish tail” during my deployment sequence. Once I attempted to unzip my wings (possibly shifting in my harness) 3 more line twists were induced. At this point the canopy started to spin and dive. My body position was back to earth. After 6 to 8 rotations, and my ditter sounding at 3500 feet I made the decision that I must cut away. My first attempt to pull my cut away handle met with little success. Because of my spin the handle was higher than I expected as well as the gloves I had on slipped off the handle. My second attempt at cutting away my main parachute was successful. I got a good grip and pulled the handle. It was a hard pull but once disconnected I was thrown away from my main parachute. I estimate my attitude to be 3000 feet. At this point I was still on my back, I made one attempt to right myself into a belly to earth position but I was unsuccessful. This was primarily because I had limited movement in my wing suit. On my second attempt to right myself in a belly to earth posture, I deployed my reserve parachute. My body position was on my side almost belly to earth but not totally there. The moment I saw the ground I pulled my reserve ripcord. The reserve parachute deployment was perfect. I did not check my altimeter from the time my ditter went off at 3500 feet until I was in the saddle at 1800 feet. My Neptune put me in the saddle at 1700 feet. I would calculate that I initiated my reserve parachute at between 20000 and 2400 feet. Once under my reserve canopy with both handles in had I was able to fly a full pattern into the designated landing area with an uneventful landing. My main parachute, reserve pilot chute and free bag all landed slightly off the airport and were retrieved easily.

What I did right:

React: As soon as I made the choice that I had to cut away I reacted. I did not think about how to perform my EPs, I just did them.

Stayed Calm: The only point of the cut away that I was scared on, was my first attempt to pull the cut away handle. I think that I was scared because I had not had to perform my EPs before and I didn’t want to mess them up. After I missed the first pull I made sure that I got it on my second attempt.

What I would do differently:

Pull Time: With some more experience I think that I would not have committed to my first pull when I felt myself begin to fish tail. I should have attempted a second pull with a stable body position.

My wings: I should have pulled my LQRS when I first saw the line twists. My hesitation and attempt to unzip my wings with line twists gave my canopy enough time to spin up and put me on my back.

Altitude awareness: I think that I got so caught up in the fact that I had to cut away that I failed to check my altitude. If it wasn’t for my ditter sounding I could have ended up spinning into the ground. I don’t think that would have happened but I remember the sound of the ditter triggering my response to initiate my EPs.

Equipment: The canopy that I was jumping (Heatwave 170) is known to not react well to sub terminal deployments. I should have followed the manufacturer’s recommendations and not jumped that particular canopy with a wing suit. The gloves that I had on were my winter weight flying gloves. I had only put 2 other jumps on these gloves during the winter season. I should have done a better gear check to make sure I could pull my handles on my first attempt. A good decision would have been to get in the hanging harness and perform a functional gear check.

All and all it feels good to have successfully cut away from a malfunctioning canopy. It almost feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders in the sport. I know that I can execute the EPs that I have been trained to do and I have proven it to myself. Thanks to AggieDave who was my first coach in Skydiving and grilled into me all the EPs.

"Pilots without Maintainers are just pedestrians with cool jackets and sunglasses"

i had a the same situation this past saturday. i pitched at 3000' flying straight but with 3 twist on opening. i tried to kick out, it only got worse, before i chopped i had 7 twist and was spiraling on my back. i cut away at 2000' (i actually looked at my altimeter when i cut) popped the reserve and all was well. for the record i have 559 jumps, i jump a sabre1 (135) pd 143(R) and the suit was a "semi" sm1. to say the least it was interesting.
i would if i could but i can't so i won't. or i might.

First off,good job saving your life. A couple of questions.

1) Do you have hard riser inserts?

2) Did/do you properly tighten your leg straps down?

3) Does your Harness/container fit you properly?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Lou-

I do not have hard riser inserts (problem 1)
My leg straps were tight but I can do harness turns under canopy.
Yes the container fits me well. I havnt ever had problems with it coming off my back or slipping around.

"Pilots without Maintainers are just pedestrians with cool jackets and sunglasses"

in all likelyhood the cut away you will experience more than any other while jumping a wingsuit will be a spinning canopy under line twists.

DO NOT MESS AROUND - do not ever wingsuit a canopy or risers without hard housing ,,,, you will become unstuck (no pun) :P

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

Maybe consider chopping your wings next time as soon as you see you have linetiwsts? With your arms now free, you might be better prepared to deal with the mal before it becomes an unrecoverable situation. Same goes for a jammed zipper. I've had this happen when wearing long sleeves under my wingsuit. At the very least, you now have your arms in a more familiar configuration when you have to get down to business with your EPs.