LouDiamond

Dropzone.com 2007 Holiday boogie- Wingsuits

Thanks again Scott! I remember playing with my arm position on the IMPACT. Once I found that sweet spot, the thing just inflated up and I yelled to myself in FF "This is F#k!ng awesome!" Had a blast, see you up there Friday morning!

Heard the wind picked up today?

Things to buy:
Engagement ring for m'lady
IMPACT suit
which comes first? ;)

Had a fair turn out today. Have about half a dozen Brit birds show up and another half dozen from all over. John, a West Point Student here for Collegiates knocked out the FFC and became an instant nylon crack addict. Ken,being short of the required 200 jumps, took the IMPACT suit up for a go and came down with a huge grin on his face as well. All in all not a shabby first day so far:)

We're still kicking it here. The last 2 days have been pretty fast paced and long. Many of the wingsuiters who were doing other disciplines earlier finially put their wingsuits on and we saw an increased flock. With the addition of the British national 4 way WS team(inside joke), the Colorado crew, James B and girlfriend and a motley crew of SOCAL people showing up, we had some serious flockage going on. The last few days have been really nice weather and the loads have been turing as quick as we could get packed and organized. James is sporting the new "Stealth" wingsuit from Phoenix Fly which I believe will be announced shortly,so keep an eye out for it. We pretty much flew 12-15 ways all day yesterday with good results. Scott C. has the pics and I'd imagine will be posting them once he has time. Also, there is a new WS pilot in the making here, Shaun showed up and wants to learn to fly a wingsuit but is short the required number of jumps. Whats interesting is that Shaun had jumped a wingsuit once before without receiving instruction and it wasn't a pleasant experience according to him. So Shaun came to see if he could fly the IMPACT suit and get some pointers. The thing that makes all of this interesting is that Shaun is deaf and we have been communicating throgh my very rusty ASL skills which I am glad to say are now improved as is Shauns flying skills after several jumps on the IMPACT suit. It is very apparent in Shauns face and rapid signing to me and others after every jump that he will no doubt be joining the WS crowd very shortly. We also had the WS seminar last night and had a good turn out of wingsuiters and newbies show up and had many good discussions while drinking the free beer:)
On an interesting note.I had a strange reserve ride the other day that later on happened to one of the Colorado guys. After a good flock, everyone broke and tracked off as usual. I cleared my airspace(waved off) and pitched as usual. I had an unusually long delay after pitching and still no parachute. I could feel the pilot chute bouncing around and at one point saw it out of the corner of my eye, fully inflated but bouncing around. At about that time my 3rd tone(hard deck) went off on my audible and I chopped and deployed my reserve. Diego, one of the SDA pilots who was also on the dive saw me pitch initially as said he could see my PC bouncing around on my back for a long time before he had to finially pitch himself. 2 jumps later, one of the Colorado guys (Travis) said he had the same thing happen to him but fortunately his PC cleared as he was starting to peel his cutaway. Not really sure what the cause was but in both cases there is no doubt it wasn't a PC in tow, it wasn't a weak throw and the PC was cocked and inflated after pitching. I have seen a spring PC bounce around on a jumpers back on many occassion for a good amount of time but I haven't seen a collapsible PC bounce around in a burble for more than a few seconds at most before clearing. Having it happen twice in one day to different people is also quite strange. At any rate, be aware that it can happen and be familiar with your hard deck and emergency procedures.

Another strange occurance that is worth mentioning also happened recently to 2 people. Yesterday a woman was in a 3 way head down round whe her Cypress2 fired at approx 9 grand. I saw the video several times and it is simply amazig that she wasn't injured or killed. Why it fired is unknown but the unit is new but it had been acting weird as it would come on and then the display screen would turn off. The woman thought she had turned it off as there was no readout in the display screen. This same thing happened to DSE's Cypress 2 a few days ago when he tried to turn it on the other morning. Fortunately he didn't jump the rig. Why this has happened to 2 units is still unknown but if you have a Cypress 2 or hear someone talking about similar things occuring when they attempt to turn their unit on please let them know. I am positive this info will make it back to the mfgr but in the mean time please be aware and let others know.

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Today turned out to be fantastic weather and jump wise. Several flocks went up all day long and I took a few fellow DZ.commers on their FFCs. Congrats goes out to Fozz ,Quickdraw and Tony for getting their wings today. Garret and Shaun, who both had prior bad first experiences sat in on a few FFCs and after some practice felt up to taking another stab at it. Both went up,did well and had a blast. Art , Danny,Ken and Jen all tried out the IMPACT suit and had a ball. I have several more FFC lined up for tomorrow morning and the weather looks like it will be even warmer. Here are a few random pictures.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I feel cheated. In Eloy 3, I'm just starting to creep up on the formation, and it was the only damn formation I got close to.:D
Thanks LouDiamond, Monkeycndo, Scott, James, John, Bob, Dave, and everyone else for making the wingsuit lessons so enjoyable and exciting. Damn, wish I was still there with you. That last jump was incredibly memorable.
Thanks for the gainer lesson, Scott. That has to be the best exit I've ever done.

I got back from the boogie late last night and will start going through the pictures I took... UC put a few of them up a few posts back but I will go through the rest of what I have and get some more up...

As for the boogie, Scott C. (the LouDiamond Scott that is) did a very nice talk on Sat night and was very busy with the goings on of the boogie. Sun had him doing lots of first flights so kudos to him for growing the flock! SDA does a great job and they are very open to WS at the boogie and I think it is a lot to do with Scott's work there so a big thanks to him!!

Fri Sat and Sun proved to be lots of fun! Got to meet lots of people along with a number of them being dz.com'rs... I enjoyed the jumps and will be looking forward to jumping with them again in the future!

Now to recover and get caught up on a few things and yes get some more pictures up for those of you needing the more eye candy.

Scott C..
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Thanks Scott(sdctlc) for looking after the flock and getting it all on film during the last few days. The amount of FFCs and people who asked to be retrained/coached came out of the wood work these last few days and kept me extremely busy all day long. The last day of 2007 was no different and lots of people were welcomed into the flock. Congrats to Frank, Greg, Ficus,Seth and Emily for getting their wings. Emily did the FFC exactly one year to the day after her husband (Kiwi) did his with me last year. Kiwi got to watch Emily go from the ride to altitude to making her first WS exit from the skyvan. Afterwards they went on to do a flight together. Last night was lots of fun with plenty of food and free beer in the beer tent and even a few night WS jumps from the DC-3 were had. All in all not a bad way to bring the year to an end. :)

SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Its developing intoa style Scott hehe..

When we have a first flight student here, you can always hear someone asking "Shall we shoot a quick Campos before boarding?"

So we put on our sunnies, and shoot a picture standing next to our first flight studentB|:)
There's always time for a Campos:P
Sounds like you guys had a great boogie..too bad we're stuck here watching the clouds roll by..

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Hey, do some digging around in the forum and you will find there are several posts where people said they actually decided to get into wingsuiting based on seeing peoples FFC pictures. If it's good for the flock, I have no problem taking a picture here or there. Besides, people like having a record of their first WS flight for when they get old. :P

SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

http://flylikebrick.com/...rno_boarding_web.jpg (really bad first flight student)

That dude is a Notoriously bad first flight student. I've seen him run right out of the aircraft as soon as he got close to the door many a time on an un expecting instructor:D
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

On an interesting note.I had a strange reserve ride the other day that later on happened to one of the Colorado guys....

2 jumps later, one of the Colorado guys (Travis) said he had the same thing happen to him but fortunately his PC cleared as he was starting to peel his cutaway.

For the record - it was a balloon jump on the Ghost. Photo attached from the balloon. The video is kind of lame, but has a funny ending when I turn the camera on myself...

www.indigox.com/ISawMyPC.wmv

It was a two way from 4000 feet (the other guy left a second after me to video the exit and fly my pattern).

I pitched at 2,800. Nothing.

I oscillated head high to get it off my back. Nothing.

I looked over my shoulder and saw a wad of shit at full bridle extension, a few feet behind my shoes, and the bridle maybe a foot higher than the leg wing. I reached for my cutaway and had it pealed. It opened. Put cutaway back.

The PC was packed BASE style (mushroom, fabric on outside, mesh folded in half as the core with bridle on/in the mesh).

Yes, the PC was cocked on the ground. I even verified it twice.

I guess 7 seconds to get a canopy full of line twists is not that scary, except for the fact my body clock is trained lately for slider down BASE openings from 5 second to impact objects.:P

you should exit from balloons more often, much better than the ws a/c exits of yours i've watched.
also i miss all the colorado people, especially kiwi. and by kiwi i mean emily.

hehehe, thanks dude.

Have you surfed some of the links of photos in this thread to see Emily in a wingsuit - and on my facebook site - because she makes wingsuits look good.

I just got home and I want to thank everyone who came out and flew as well as congratulate those who joined the flock. The 1st and 2nd were pretty much winded out, although some people did jump on the 2nd. Thanks to monkey and sdctlc for helping me out and thanks to everyone for making it a fun and safe boogie. I am still waiting for the final tally on the number of WS jumps done during the boogie but from a quick guesstimate, it looks pretty good. As always, I had a lot of fun flying with everyone, seeing old friends and making new ones. Here's to a 2008 full of flocks. :)

SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Just got back to a desk and a reliable internet connection :)
A few more shots attached.

You mean the travels are going to slow down, no more world hopping! Sounded like a great trip though! and Yeah, I get to see a picture of me in air from that boogie:)
Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"