boyd38off

Samurai Wingsuit

SO, I've always jumped a Samurai with my wingsuit (about 100 jumps now). I was warned from the beginning by more than one person that I *would* be chopping it from time to time if I continued to fly it. I never had any problems on a larger Samurai 170 (1.15:1), but after downsizing to a 150 (1.35:1), the legend became a little more realistic. I have yet to chop it, but have had *many* times I probably should have. I have tried lots of different techniques to minimize the spiral/linetwisting/dive that it LOVES to do (only with a wingsuit by the way). Here are my results:

1. Unzip armwings immediately after pitching: After practicing a lot, I can get the wings undone during the snivel. This allows me to get my hands on the risers during the opening to help steer it. This works, unless I fumble even the slightest with the zipper, or have a faster than normal opening. I think unzipping probably also throws off the symmetry in my harness, maybe even increasing the chance of a spin-up, always followed by a spiral dive.

2. Concentrate on harness symmetry: kinda works, but sometimes the last bit of inflation throws the canopy to the side, and around and around we go! I end up checking my cutaway handle, checking my altimeter, then deciding to fight it... but I have to get my arms undone first.

3. Longer bridle: So far, this has helped TREMENDOUSLY. I can definitely feel a more form liftoff of the bag, and I have been getting MUCH cleaner openings. Not so much as a linetwist. We'll see as time goes on if this has helped as much as I think it has.

The canopy opens GREAT freeflying, but I always use weightshift and riser input during the opening. It is very steerable during the opening - which is what I think causes the problems in the wingsuit, not being able to give it as much input.

Here are some vids: First one is my buddy experiencing the green samurai up close and personal: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vIbYtftDEWo

Second is what I have been dealing with off and on throughout the summer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vVKSyf5Uzww

Eventually, I will have a wingsuit-specific rig, but for now it's just me and the green sam. Anyone else get noticeably better results with a long bridle?
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and shouting,
".... holy crap....what a ride!"

interesting choice

my first reaction would be to say get something that opens a bit nicer for wingsuiting, like a Xaos21 !

but since you seem to want to make the Samurai work for your wingsuiting and a longer snivel might help you from the sound of it...

try making the brake setting shallower, this should slow your opening down and might even make it less twitchy also

this is of course based on my limited experience with a 105 Samurai loaded at 1.8, so I am not sure if the bigger Samurais have such a deep brake setting too

don't forget to contact Brian Germain and ask him what he recommends before trying something some random person on the internet suggested :P

cya
sam

A longer bridle will help - I changed mine out a couple years ago and only get line twists on my Sam136 (about 1.5:1) when I'm not evenly seated.:|

A note on the openings: mine will sometimes have a 180 or 90 linetwist if I don't get completely terminal...if you are experiencing this, you may be need to hold on another half second before dumping(?):S. Also, even with the above linetwists, it will fly straight and not dive if you are even in the harness - this may be another clue for you too...BANG!

Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

I used to have similar problems... I have almost and identical video of your, but mine ended in a chop.

Its nice when the dive helps you get out of it, instead of twisting you more (like mine did:S)!

How are you dumping? Full flight? Or are you a collapse wings and arms guy?

I collapse everything to dump. What I found I wasn't doing (Scott Campos suggested) that I was not keeping my knees together as well as my feet. Now I take special care to keep my feet AND knees together throughout deployment. Since that suggestion, I have not had a single problem...

I would rather concentrate on even harness input through the opening instead of working the zips. You can reach your mudflaps while still zipped, and you can use those to straighten your risers if you must (I have).

BTW...Stiletto 120 loaded at 1.6ish