tdog

Calugo

Very cool piece and a good demonstration of how AoA or pitch can affect flight on a gliding body similar to a wingsuit. If you watch the tail closely, I believe the flapping is intentional as it doesn't always flap during flight. Is that from the Planet earth series?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I think I'm related to that thing. Distant cousin maybe.

Anybody notice the narrator?
I'd recognize that voice anywhere.
Sigourney Weaver. Shes hot. If she was a president she'd be baberaham lincoln. Her hotness factor goes up to 11. RRowr.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

that cute animal use tail ( tail wing ) as engine, like birds use wings....

Is that scientific fact or what you personaly think its doing?
It looks like its using its tail for continuous trimming/correction to me?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

it is for both... as this is vector moving, calugo doing same as fish in the wather, also this what u are saying jarno...

No..I was thinking it was merely correcting its trajectory and steering..
You are saying it's using it for active propulsion (not gliding, but actual propelled flight)

For it to work as a propelling force, there would have to be an abvious sinus-wave present in the motion of the tail. Which I do seem to spot (though high speed slowmo footage would work better for actual observations like these)

But my question was...
Are you THINKING thats what its doing...or do you have the National Geographics Guide to Calugo's on your desk?;)

A source..be it observation of the video, reading it somewhere, or a background in zoology would be nice so readers know to take something for a fact or a gues...B|?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I wonder what it would/could do if we threw it out of the plane at 12KB|

I think he would have a 12 minute flight, maybe longer, since it takes him 10 seconds to go tree to tree.

I always have wanted to take my pets flying with me... I wonder if Calugos can be domesticated. :P

A source..be it observation of the video, reading it somewhere, or a background in zoology would be nice so readers know to take something for a fact or a gues...B|?

Hereby a paper about the analysis of 3-D kinematic serpent dynamic vector propulsion:
http://www.flyingsnake.org/publications/downloads/Socha_et_al_2005.pdf
Tristan
Will you answer "NO" to my next question?

Wikipedia (as correct or incorrect as it may be) states flying squirrels to only 'fly' at a glide ratio of roughly 1.98

The Calugo definately seems to do a lot better. But it also seems to score a lot higher in terms of surface/wing area.
Like a flying squirrel that had a wild night out with a bat..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

p.s.
Anyone wanna place bets how long its gonna take for Tony to create/release a suit called the "Calugo*":P

*available in tue dye

I'll make sure the "Calugo" suit has scalloped wings. that way it will be cool.:ph34r:

Justin
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

very nice animal! by curiosity got interested in, but very few info about this animal...

Info that i found on Encyclopaedia Britannica; Or A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and ... (year - 1826)

There is only one species viz.
G. Volans. Flying Calugo or Flying Lemur. This is one of those extraordinary quadrupeds whom nature has raised above their usual element and enabled to transport themselves through the air in a manner, which though it cannot strictly be denominated, flying is at least very similar to it. The body of the flying lemur is about three feet long; but, except when the membrane is expanded, it is very slender. It has a slender tail, about a span long. The membrane, which extends from the neck to the fore legs, hind legs, and tail is covered with fur, but appears membranaceous on the inner side. The upper side of the animal is of a deep ash colour, inclining to black when young, and the back is crossed transversely with blackish lines. Its head is long, its mouth small, and its teeth differ from those of every other quadruped hitherto examined. The cutting teeth in the lower jaw are deeply cut like a comb; the canine teeth, as Pallas calls them (though Geoffroy thinks they are more properly cutting teeth) are triangular very broad at the base and very short. The csecum or large intestine is very voluminous.

It is a native of the Molucca and Philippine islands frequents woody places aud feeds on fruits and probably on insects. It almost constantly resides on trees; in descending from which it preads its membranes and balances itself in a gentle manner towards the place at which it aims, but in ascending it uses a leaping pace. It brings forth two young, which are said to adhere to the breasts of the parent by their teeth and claws. Geoffroy and Cuvier make two varieties or species of this genus, viz. G Rufus, Red Calugo; and G Variegatus, Varied Calugo - but these are probably no more than sexual differences.

Reference:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Is0nAAAAMAAJ&lpg=PA507&ots=PpifGsM-04&vq=calugo&dq=calugo+animal&pg=PA460&ci=531,700,407,654&source=bookclip

Some historical drawing images - Flying Calugo
http://books.google.com/books?id=Is0nAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA539&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=UxrrCMEjH0lhM1e5AJbU50Rivu8&ci=523,81,434,515&edge=1
http://www.greyheronprints.com/images/IMG_5151.jpg

And another similar animal - Flying Maucauco - more stylish one :)
http://www.greyheronprints.com/images/IMG_5168.jpg

;)
The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness
http://adventure.lv/

very nice animal! by curiosity got interested in, but very few info about this animal...

I also believe its using its tail as propulsion (its not flapping, its pulsating in a sinus-like motion)..I was just asking Robi if it was his thinking, or if he had some more info on the critter somewhere, as there seems to be little to no information available on this critter online..

Sounds like a new-age discovery
"New species of animal found..online":P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?