Butters

Thinking About Wingsuits

Wingsuits kick ass, and I wouldnt waste time with a tracking suit unless you can find a free demo. Even a classic is way more kick ass. Have someone with 100+ wingsuit jumps evaluate you as a tracker and skydiver, and someone on your dz who really knows you as a skydiver. Then if you still want to bend the rules, go for it. I did my first jump on a classic for my 150th jump, but only because I had a bad ass coach and had been acessed as to my abilities. Im sure one of the many super experienced pilots on here could give you more drills to practice too, like pull technique and packing differences, things like that.

Ask for Ash, he is a video guy out there and a wing suit instructor / organizer.

Scott Campos also makes it out there a few times a year.

To Matt's point, there is no real rush, wait until you have the 200 jumps before moving to a wing suit.
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

most silly people have already put theirselves into nylon crack addiction at those 100-110 jumps :P

neehh..just russians, impatient people and a few dead guys...;)

being formal and tedious, only ws fatality which could be caused by low experience didnt happen in russia, eh?

those survived call that "well, i was stupid, but somehow i've managed to realise it" :)

neehh..just russians, impatient people and a few dead guys...;)

Athough there is not one good reason to get into wingsuits before 200 jumps ( approx) experience there is not one fatality that is a verifiable result of low jump numbers. I was even present ( not by my choice or design ) to a guy with barely a hundred jumps first flight, and the following handfull of the day to follow, where this green jumper outperformed some of the so-called BM instructors that are on the precious factory roster.

Just another lesson from the "life is not fair" paradigm.

Be well advised I'm not remotely advocating early flirtation with wingsuits. I'm just beyond overly saturated with BS rhetoric and more than a server full of conjecture blame storming when things go bad.

I was even present ( not by my choice or design ) to a guy with barely a hundred jumps first flight, and the following handfull of the day to follow, where this green jumper outperformed some of the so-called BM instructors that are on the precious factory roster.

I don't think poor performance is one of the reasons new jumpers are discouraged from jumping wingsuits.

Dave

this green jumper outperformed

You of all people should know that performane and the capability to handle incidents or dangerous situations are two different completely things..and anyone who thinks less experience is the way to go is an idiot in my book..

I wasnt refering to any specific incident..just peaking in general..
People with less experience are more likely to get in trouble when the shit hits the fan..any experience you have can and will help you...

Although there's always some fluke example of someone who did ok with less experience (and I cant wait to hear those same stories again and again) If anyone is serious about jumping or flying, then the fact that a MERE 200 jumps is viewed as a lot before starting on wingsuits is laughable...

Nobody mentioned anything about any instructors related to safety btw...but your anti-establishment stance has been noted...you rebel you;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

this green jumper outperformed some of the so-called BM instructors that are on the precious factory roster.

Who would that have been Glen?

Ed

Ditto. Is that someone on the team?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Who would that have been Glen?

Ed

Ditto. Is that someone on the team?

I smell witch hunt! It doesn't matter who it was.

Did you catch the part were I say I don't recommend it?

Did you read and comprehend the part were I say most of you guys can only pretend to know what happened in some of the wingsuit fatalities?

I don't think poor performance is one of the reasons new jumpers are discouraged from jumping wingsuits.

Dave

Dieing on a skydive can be considered poor performance.

In reference to my example I'm not just referring to glide ratio. I'm talking environmental awareness, stability, navigation, group awareness, control, textbook deployment not to mention a health glide ratio.

This guy had everything a coach would typically spend a few hours and more than a handfull of jumps to cultivate without so much as reading the suit manual.

When flown right, the IMPACT flies like a small wingsuit (classic).
Chris (75kg, 1.85m 210 jumps) flew the suit at around 75 mph, with a forward speed comparable to that of a classic.

Keeping up with him in a Firebird and S6 was nu issue at all.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

When flown right, the IMPACT flies like a small wingsuit (classic).
Chris (75kg, 1.85m 210 jumps) flew the suit at around 75 mph, with a forward speed comparable to that of a classic.

75mph is a Classic being flown pretty relaxed.

I don't think you can say any tracking suit flies 'like XXX wingsuit' just because part of their performance range overlaps...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Ok. So is there a wingsuit instructor at Skydive Arizona who would be willing to work with me on tracking and preparation for wingsuiting over the course of a week? If so, please contact me so that I can gather more information on dates, prices, available suits (tracking suit, impact suit, etc...) that I may be able to try, etc...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

75mph is a Classic being flown pretty relaxed

What I ment to say was..tracking gear flown really well (be it Tracer, PF pants/jacket or IMPACT) CAN compare to small wingsuit flown by a first timer...

I don't think you can say any tracking suit flies 'like XXX wingsuit' just because part of their performance range overlaps...

Thats not what I ment to say..

We have a belgian guy here, who flies downward/forward speeds and glideratios in his RW suit, that would put a lot of people in the biggest wingsuits available on the market to shame...that doesnt mean an RW suit flies as well as XXX winguit either;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Ok. So is there a wingsuit instructor at Skydive Arizona who would be willing to work with me on tracking and preparation for wingsuiting over the course of a week? If so, please contact me so that I can gather more information on dates, prices, available suits (tracking suit, impact suit, etc...) that I may be able to try, etc...

I would be glad to work with you.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Here is some good Impact -flying

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=6185

I like the impact (own one) and think it is a good stepping stone to wingsuiting... I have skydived it and based it little a bit. I averaged in the high 70's with it in the skydiving environment and made decent tracks with it in base.

However, the quality disapointed me. 2 different zippers on each arm zip? Cheap fragile mesh on a 'supposedly' base specific suit... missed stitches..... A lack of attention to detail IMHO.... And I like it still enough not to try and sell it and will continue to jump it......

In terms of tracking suits specifically, I liked the Phoenix fly tracking suits I have seen much better.

These were a few of the reasons I bought a phantom for my 1st real wingsuit, and now am purchasing a V2.....

They (birdman) lost me on the 1st suit they sold me, though it flies well.

Definetly try some entry level suits and tracking suits, as they are a lot of fun, and make an informed decision.... Also, don't rush into things, wingsuits aren't going anywhere....

_justin