RkyMtnHigh

Wingsuit and Canopy

If you toss the Triathlon in full flight it slams you and often opens with line twist.

Mine is an older 1994 Triathlon so it could be the rigging which has changed.

The Tri is a rock solid WS Canopy. I assume you have the original break set-up on your old 94 Tri. I have a 98 that used to open hardish on occasion (and had weak flare) but I had the 5.0 mod done to the break lines...and it now opens super soft and flares wayyyy better. Consider it if you still have your old tri.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

[chrisgray]

I am currently testing out a Optimum as a main for wingsuiting

I'm curious. Why?

[phoenixlpr]

I'd prefer to have worry free opening nad enough time to zip myself free.

this is more dependent on your experience flying your wingsuit, your experience/skill dealing with deployments and your gear set-up than your canopy choice

[phoenixlpr ]

I can not see any point to jump a crossbraced with a dragsuit on

-because a crossbraced canopy is what I normally fly
-because a crossbraced canopy flies so much better than the alternatives
-because my crossbraced canopy opens better and more consistently than any other canopy I have tried

[mccordia]

Even then...Id rather see people sticking to one dicipline per jump.

Why? That's a bit narrow-minded, don't you think?
Even AFF students get seperate freefall and canopy tasks in their progression.

[mccordia]

Wingsuit or swoop.

I prefer wingsuit AND swoop.

[mccordia]

Instead of jumping a wingsuit, opening last, and then racing their tiny swoop-canopy trough the bigger canopies and other student-traffic thats on final at that point..

If you are doing that, then you are either a crappy wingsuit pilot, a crappy canopy pilot or a combination of the two.

I get out last (sometimes with 1st flight students), I pull last and mostly I land after all the funjumpers and students, but before the tandems. Sometimes I will land after all the tandems too. It's all about keeping track of the other canopies in the sky with you and planning your freefall and canopy flight to fit in with them.

[Waldschrat]

would be interesting for me, in which heights you pull, if you are on a solo....especially the folks with the highly loaded crossbraced stuff?

solo: I pull high enough to make it back to the DZ and give me a few seconds to work on my canopy if I have a ton of linetwists before saying byebye to it.
This also depends on how current I am in my wingsuit.
When I was pretty current, I would pull at 2200-2500ft when I tried to do a minute from 5500ft or go 2.5 minutes+ from 13500ft.
Usually I will pull at 3000 - 4000 ft.

[jdatc]

Simple, a less malfunction prone, docile 7-cell canopy in a wingsuit rig will be my friend in the times I may very well need it...

That's what your reserve is!
I don't see the need to get a custom BASE canopy at a high cost to do something a few skydiving canopies do much better but at a higher price and with shorter lifespan?

I'm curious how many skydives you have and how many of those are in a wingsuit? I would say it is a more cost effective idea to stick with your Sabre2, or get a Pilot and spend the money a custom Flik would've cost you on more jumps. You would be more current and become a better pilot of your canopy and better skilled/experienced to deal with sub-optimal openings.

I am also of the opinion that there is a major crossover in skills between:

-skydiving a highly loaded canopy (and swooping it) into large grassy DZ LZs

and

-BASEjumping a lightly loaded BASE canopy and putting it down in a small LZ

The entire thought process transfers directly, your awareness gets developed better by higher loaded canopies and you have to be more stable/symmetrical during deployment and unzippipng your wings.

[dmkellett]

SAMURAI 111 for 3 jumps (nearly chopped every time)

This may say more about your ability to deal with the openings than the canopy's suitability for wingsuiting.

I will say this though, The Jedeis and Samurais I have jumped have been the twitchiest canopies in brakes I have tried. The reason for this is their very deep brake setting. That is what makes them a bad choice for wingsuiting, not the fact that they are ellliptical. All the other crossbraced canopies and ellipticals I have jumped, except for the Diablo, are way more stable during deployment and with the brakes set.

[mbondvegas]

The Tri is a rock solid WS Canopy.

Compared to how many other canopies that you have jumped with your WS? For how many jumps?

RkyMtnHigh: how is the WS treating you? Still got the Prodigy that you flew on my PFI checkout jump?
Please let us know what demo/s you got and what you thouht of them after the boogie!

cya
sam

[jdatc]

Simple, a less malfunction prone, docile 7-cell canopy in a wingsuit rig will be my friend in the times I may very well need it...

[980]
That's what your reserve is!
I don't see the need to get a custom BASE canopy at a high cost to do something a few skydiving canopies do much better but at a higher price and with shorter lifespan?

I'm curious how many skydives you have and how many of those are in a wingsuit? I would say it is a more cost effective idea to stick with your Sabre2, or get a Pilot and spend the money a custom Flik would've cost you on more jumps. You would be more current and become a better pilot of your canopy and better skilled/experienced to deal with sub-optimal openings.

I have around 450ish skydives with approx 200 wingsuit jumps, the wingsuit jumps are all since May of this year..... Before that another 40 jumps on my impact tracking suit... However my Paralog hasn't been kept up to date since my neptune died, so I need to get printouts again from the DZ.

Simply put, I want a relaible low pulling skydiving rig. I have no problem pulling full flight at 2000' with my sabre2 (and if that's all I ever wanted to do I'd keep it), and keeping with the USPA guidlines... If it mals, well I am current and practiced.

But what if I am getting out of my friends plane, and want to drop the d-bag all together and say to hell with pull altitudes since they are not a legal requirement by the FAA?

I know I could use a base rig, but that puts the pilot at risk. So here is a middle ground. Plus, it's something I want to do and try which is really the most important thing.

Besides I am buying another skydiving rig with a smaller canopy to not be my wingsuit rig... Then I can go hang out with the free-flyers and be cool again...

[1156]
I am also of the opinion that there is a major crossover in skills between:

-skydiving a highly loaded canopy (and swooping it) into large grassy DZ LZs

and

-BASEjumping a lightly loaded BASE canopy and putting it down in a small LZ

The entire thought process transfers directly, your awareness gets developed better by higher loaded canopies and you have to be more stable/symmetrical during deployment and unzippipng your wings.

I don't know since I don't swoop, but I do ok with my BASE canopies... sadly I didn't win the accuracy contest at BD (you did!), but I put it down a foot off the disk in the white circle to a standing up stop...

So I told Sparky I am protesting....

_justin

The Tri is a rock solid WS Canopy. I assume you have the original break set-up on your old 94 Tri. I have a 98 that used to open hardish on occasion (and had weak flare) but I had the 5.0 mod done to the break lines...and it now opens super soft and flares wayyyy better. Consider it if you still have your old tri.

I will look at doing the updates. I have not had any issues with the flair but the softer openings would allow me to use both rigs with the WS.

Thanks,
Working to be the last flyer on a birdman suit. ;-)
Who also flies a tony suit.

But what if I am getting out of my friends plane, and want to drop the d-bag all together and say to hell with pull altitudes since they are not a legal requirement by the FAA?

makes sense now

Did you get a good look at the UCC BaseR container and reserve?

I wonder how much that front mount reserve will slow your WS flight down?

but I put it down a foot off the disk in the white circle to a standing up stop...

So I told Sparky I am protesting....

the way they score the accuracy is a little strange

Nice framegrab, what camera/lens/helmet are you using?

Did you get a good look at the UCC BaseR container and reserve?

I wonder how much that front mount reserve will slow your WS flight down?

I got a look at it...

I'll reserve my thoughts till I see it being regularly jumped but say at some levels it may be a good idea.... Of course, the same was said about the Sorcerer.... Which has its place for certain types of jumps/styles.....

But I'd prefer to stick with major established base manufacturers for that type of gear for now... just a personal preference.

But if I got a chance to skydive it, I would so I could have an informed opinion....

The Front mount reserve though seems like it would be a hinderance to good wingsuit flights....

The camera is a pc1000 with a .45 lense in a ff2, sadly I forgot to check the mounting angle. so I got some frame the 1st jump...

Congrats again on winning it....

_justin