RkyMtnHigh

Wingsuit and Canopy

If you want to fly a higher-performance canopy with a wingsuit you can, provided you have a decent amount of wingsuit experience, are used to the canopy and are willing to pull higher... which is why Jarno sticks to a Spectre! ;):P

It also means you dont have to buy new dytters everytime because your risers rip em of on violent spins/ofheading openings...ey rich:P;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I now jump a safire 119 at 1.4 for wingsuit jumps. Did some ws jumps with vengeance, springo, sabre, triathlon, pilot and loads (most) with spectres. Spectres/tri's are best IMO, with safire/pilot/sabre2/sabre/electra etc canopies 2nd. If you jump anything else you better know what you're doing ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

If you jump anything else you better know what you're doing ;)

Even then...Id rather see people sticking to one dicipline per jump. Wingsuit or swoop. Instead of jumping a wingsuit, opening last, and then racing their tiny swoop-canopy trough the bigger canopies and other student-traffic thats on final at that point..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

It also means you dont have to buy new dytters everytime because your risers rip em of on violent spins/ofheading openings...ey rich:P;)

Richard, you loser, I TOLD YOU THAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!!

for the thread: I use to fly a Nitro 120 at 1.7 and that was awesome.

Now I fly a Xaos21-100 at 1.9 and that is even better.

Yes, even in a dragsuit it still is better than some unresponsive, mushy, slow and lack of lift non-crossbraced canopy and with the Xaos the openings are better too.

I used to jump my Triathlon 170 with the wingsuit but after moving from my GTI to my S6 I avoid the Triathlon or open with everything shut down from flight. If you toss the Triathlon in full flight it slams you and often opens with line twist.

Mine is an older 1994 Triathlon so it could be the rigging which has changed.

I prefer my Aerodyne Pilot 168 that I can toss in full flight or slow flight. But I found the nose must be packed wide open or it too can open with some twists. Thanks again Monkey for helping me find all the pieces after my low chop.
Working to be the last flyer on a birdman suit. ;-)
Who also flies a tony suit.

I think this poll should be in 2 parts..

• What canopy do you jump?

• What canopy would you say is the smart choice to jump?

• I think its two different answers for a lot of people:P:(

I jump a Sab2 170. I think it is a sensible enough canopy for any 170lb ish person to be jumping. Don't expect the chicks to dig it though :P.

Kris.

I am currently testing out a Optimum as a main for wingsuiting but haven't had enough air time to review yet.

Good luck and long flights!

I fly a Sabre2 170... It's reliable to a degree, as any canopy can be in a d-bag.

I however am in the process of getting a bit of a custom FliK for my wingsuit skydiving rig after having a few discussions with Todd at Apex. I know a lot of people ask, why, a base canopy in a wingsuit rig?

Simple, a less malfunction prone, docile 7-cell canopy in a wingsuit rig will be my friend in the times I may very well need it...

_justin

• What canopy do you jump?

• What canopy would you say is the smart choice to jump?

• I think its two different answers for a lot of people:P:(

Haha I like that. Ill say the canopy I DO NOT recommend is a decently loaded katana. That thing puckered me up on the couple of ws jumps I did on it. Nice canopy, but no matter how I packed it, it was consistently inconsistent on opening. Really fun to fly and stayed with a velo in a dive though.

That's why I posted my other canopies. I get a lot of people thinking 1.8 is too high and I should be jumping something docile. When I explain that my "normal" canopy is a Velo at 2.2 - a Safire at 1.8 is docile and conservative!

I'd like to jump with my FX... but I have 20 chops already... and I like pulling a little lower since we only get 11000ft exit altitude.

t
    It's the year of the Pig.

Triathlon 120.

Square enough (ie completely) to be reliable, loaded enough to be fun.

I prefered that canopy you flew at the Herc boogie...
    The one where you lost one or two lines on every jump:P

Did that one ever end up on a bonfire anywhere?
    That was a PD 9-Cell 150 @ 1.4. Older than history, and more worn than a brandwar.

I gave it back to the owner, and got a Triathlon 135 from him. Shortly after that, Aerodyne did the 700$ sale on new Tris :)
    Johan.
    I am. I think.

I load my Sabre-2 170sqft with 1.3 to 1.4 and pull at 4000ft
    I am happy with both choices.

The Sabre-2 tends not to twist often and if it does rarely turns. I once had it starting to turn and dive with twists but could kick out of it.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Started on a BIGAIRSPORTZ LOTUS 136, then went to a SAMURAI 111 for 3 jumps (nearly chopped every time) and now jump a PILOT 104 loaded at 2.0 for all wingsuit jumps. I have about 350 jumps on my pilot canopy, zero chops and hardly ever even have a twist, when I do I simply use harness input during the opening to sort it out. Try as I may, this canopy simply does not want to go for the ground during opening, and is by a huge amount the most stable and forgiving canopy I have ever jumped..... EVEN though I load the hell out of it. I would recommend any sabre 2 / pilot / TRI / safire / Spectre class canopy for WS. and strongly advise against all ellipitals, unless you are all of the following..

1. S*#T hot at flying your elliptical.
    2. same for the WS
    3. you dont mind reserve rides
    4. you dont mind losing your main.
    5. you like scary moments on jumps,

Without a doubt a square is the way to go for WS jumps.... especilally with large suits such as vampire class. it makes the jump so much fun, and with the pilot 104 i never worry about the openings... and due to my weight being 180 i can get some monster swoops!!

Lots of differing opinions on this but I personally would avoid a canopy that you must fly its opening with riser inputs.

I have never once found a skydiving canopy that required riser input upon opening. I suggest that doing such is asking for a mal.
    ----------------------------------------------
    You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Another vote for Sabre-1 here, 120 at 1.6. generally sweet openings and enuf load to get some speed with a 360. I've used Sabre-1-120, Nitron-120, Cobalt-120, Triathlon 135, Sabre-1-150 and Xaos-21-98. I'd really like to use a Katana-107 but it comes with a guaranteed shitload of reserve rides, the Xaos is nice but I don't like throwing that high.Using a conservative canopy and flying it hard is a winning combo for me.
    Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I would suggest the following:
    1. Jump the canopy you are comfortable with.
    2. If elitical or crossbrace understand and accept the added risk.
    3. Pull at the appropriate allitiude for the canopy you are jumping.

Personally: I jumped a Falcon 195 for my first 30 wingsuit jumps then switched to a crossfire 129 loaded 1.85 to 1. This worked great but when in line twist it would point to the ground. I would pull at no lower than 4000 AGL with this canopy to give time to deal with the extra issues. Later on I switched to my now VX 109 and found that even in line twist this canopy would fly straight ( in the about 12 line twist opennings on this canopy, I only had 1 point to the ground for only 1 revealution before straighting out). I understand and accept my only option if the canopy is spiralling to the ground is to chote it( and I prepare for that eventuallality every wingsuit jump)
    Kirk