RkyMtnHigh

Wingsuit and Canopy

Which Canopy do you fly with your wingsuit?

I know several wingsuiters who enjoy the Spectre or Triathalon with their wingsuit. I currently have a PD Vengeance and am looking to get a demo of another canopy for the upcoming SDA Halloween Boogie for a more consistant opening.

Lots of differing opinions on this but I personally would avoid a canopy that you must fly its opening with riser inputs. This would generally be limited to elliptical models but not always. I currently fly a triathlon that has served me well since I was off student status but I like the sabre2, safire2, & pilot very much for wingsuiting too. I am currently testing out a Optimum as a main for wingsuiting but haven't had enough air time to review yet.

Good luck and long flights!
WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

I love my crossfire 2, incredibly soft openings. Probably not something really to recommend, but find the canopy you like to fly, and kind of figure out if itll work for wingsuiting. I think it was alluded to in another thread that the optimum reserves arent really designed to take a large number of terminal openings, so you might want to consult with PD about that plan, thought it would sound tempting if you were flying a sub 100 square foot canopy and didnt want a second container.

The long term durability of the Optimum is one of the factors I am curious about. I have consulted several people at PD and the idea was actual suggested to me by a friend who is on the PD Tour. I also understand that Jay Moledzki of the PD Factory Team uses a Optimum for wingsuit jumps regularly.

I am holding judement on the idea until I can jump it more. I will post more info then.
WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

I jump a xaos 90 with an RDS and a pull out deployment system with a container that doesn't have dynamic corners. :|

Yawn, my WS buddy jumps his velo 96 loaded at 2.3. Actually if I was forced to jump a cross braced canopy with a wingsuit, it would be a xaos. Ive heard of a few people jumping them with wingsuits in the past with decent results.

Well, there is a little difference.

I have time under canopy about 120 seconds with Cobalt135(WL 1.7+) and 210-240 seconds with Spark170(WL 1.4+).

I'd prefer to have worry free opening nad enough time to zip myself free.

I can not see any point to jump a crossbraced with a dragsuit on :S.

I enjoyed the hell out of the Optimum as a main for wingsuiting. I had a 143 loaded at around 1.7ish. No matter how trashy you packed it, sweet, butter soft 300 to 400 foot openings. Made decent penetration into the wind, and since there were diveloops available, I found you could get a decent swoop out of that thing.

The long term is still under review, I have talked to some people in the know and they seem to believe this particular weave of F111 will last far longer than previous F111. That said, you would have to buy it as a reserve and then get a rigger to mod it to be a main. As for the terminal openings there were no problems, used the stock reserve slider the entire time (wingsuit and freefall). However with a w/s terminal deployment is not usually an issue. So until the long-term wear and tear is determined, I upsized to a Sabre 2 135 for w/s.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

Triathlon 120.

Square enough (ie completely) to be reliable, loaded enough to be fun.

I prefered that canopy you flew at the Herc boogie...
The one where you lost one or two lines on every jump:P

Did that one ever end up on a bonfire anywhere?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Recently moved to a Xfire2 109 @1.85, but was a Safire2 129 @ 1.6 for ages. I would point out that I had 220 wingsuit jumps before going elliptical (and several hundred jumps on the Xfire2)

Since I've rather taken to jumping crossbraced canopies now, I may move to a Xaos 96 that I recently acquired...

If you want to fly a higher-performance canopy with a wingsuit you can, provided you have a decent amount of wingsuit experience, are used to the canopy and are willing to pull higher... which is why Jarno sticks to a Spectre! ;):P

--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13