rmahoney

Wing Suit Flying from a pilot's perspective

As a 30+ year pilot (but a <2 year skydiver), I had my first introduction to wing suit flying last week, and I must say I am completely hooked. I have flown aircraft from J-3’s to A-4’s to 767’s, but I have never had more pure joy of flight than in a wing suit.

From a pilot’s perspective, it is powerful to note that your body itself – and the enabling equipment (wing suit) – becomes the aircraft. Every part of your head, torso, and extremeties becomes a lifting surface, as well as a control surface. Subtle and not-so-subtle changes in configuration and attitude affect flight. The old, familiar dreams of flight become a striking reality.

Wind suit flying, like other skydiving disciplines, demands great care and respect, and those who think they can teach themselves truly have a fool for a student. Ask around, and find a competent wing suit instructor. Not only will you be safer, to yourself and those around you, but you will learn much more about how to fly.

I have discovered the true joy of flight. It is wing suiting.
ATP B-737, B757, B-767, L-188, FK-28, AMEL, Commercial Privileges ASEL, F/E Turbojet

"Learning is not compulsory; neither is survival."

Ask around, and find a competent wing suit instructor.

Definately good advice...even though you do need to find an instructor that doesnt care about the actual 200 jump number safety recomendation too much hehe

cheep joke..;):P Couldnt resist..

You went from falling to actual flying! Definately welcome to the flock!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Somebody actually looked at my profile?? I will change it to reflect my actual number of jumps >200.....(can i count my ejection from a sick TA-4 in 1978 and my "landing" under a 28' conical canopy too?? Just wondering..(G) )

Flock on! R
ATP B-737, B757, B-767, L-188, FK-28, AMEL, Commercial Privileges ASEL, F/E Turbojet

"Learning is not compulsory; neither is survival."

Somebody actually looked at my profile?? I will change it to reflect my actual number of jumps >200.....(can i count my ejection from a sick TA-4 in 1978 and my "landing" under a 28' conical canopy too?? Just wondering..(G) )

Flock on! R

I say it counts...!
In 1978...man...I made my first flight that year....from my mothers lap into the cradle that is:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

There was a guy posting in the bonfire once, a pilot with 6,000 skydives (but no wingsuit jumps). He was commenting on a video of a wingsuit flyer getting above the tail of a Skyvan on a highspeed exit. He said that based on his piloting experience that was impossible and it was an illusion because the pilot was diving the plane.

I've heard many people make that same (very wrong) argument, but none with his experience. How on earth can you pilot planes and not know that speed equals life lift (nice typo)? You can build a plane with fucking two by fours for wings if you push it fast enough.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Once I went to a DZ where I was the first ever wingsuiter (yes they still exist:P). The pilot was clueless about wingsuits. Ofcourse I had to convince them to let me go last. Then, when it was my turn to exit, the pilot told me to wait because we were to far off and he wanted to do another round. Afterwards I could not convince him it really was not necessary. He changed his mind when next jump I was flying next to him politely waving at him:)

Tristan
Will you answer "NO" to my next question?