mccordia

proximity flying (without a wingsuit)

I dont know why, but for some reason this reminded me of all the recent proximity/close-call flying videos.

Ive seen this 'skating' buy on some TV shows earlyer going down stairs etc, and thought...damn what a nerd...but this time its just envy...damn this is cool!

http://www.autoadviceoffl.com/letsfly2.php
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Looks like he can't even stay in his lane. Kinda cool, until he gets squashed. Cars would scare me more than anything else.

It's scary how much the above reply looks like something a whuffo would say about skydivers.

How does he stop?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Looks like he can't even stay in his lane. Kinda cool, until he gets squashed.

Seems like he only goes out of his lane when he's setting up for corners and has a clear view ahead, when he's actually in the blind corners he's always in his lane (though sometimes not by much!). Does look pretty cool.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

That is the coolest shit I have seen in a while.

I was impressed by how much control he had to turn and speed up or down.

We going to Europe next summer. I want to try it then!! ;)

WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

Just imagine combining that suit with a wingsuit....(diabolical laugh)!!!

Get rolling down hill.
Reach 88 mph.
Flip on flux capacitor (Great scott...1.21 gigawatts).
Take off using wingsuit.
Fly down mountain.
Land on road in valley below.

Where do we place order for the new wingsuit landing gear????
WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

Hmm, not sure if he could actually lift off of the road with a wingsuit... but he COULD find somewhere there is no guardrail and use all his forward speed to sail right off the cliff. New BASE exit technique.

Be careful with the time traveling.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Without a doubt, that vid is very cool. But I am almost positive that guy has been doing that for awhile(1-2 years back) as I seem to remember a photo of him in his suit and a small article. He is also very good at picking his line as he maintained a lot of speed through his turns when he wasn't actually scrubbing speed off. I'm curious as to how fast he was going when he caught the bike right out of the tunnel and in the segment after that. That makes street luge look like bobsledding.:)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Love it ..... sign me up .... I want to learn.

Cars ???? Matt --- just lay your head flat and go between the wheels. :S

WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

I am sure with all the math wizards here we can estimate something...

lets start with the estimate of 10 ft in between the posts...
then figure the amount of posts he passes in an amount of time...
and go from there?

maybe 70-90 mph or more?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Terminal on a street luge is around 60-70mph unless you're really heavy or have weight added to your luge. I'm guessing terminal for him would be near the same, since he should have less drag but also less weight.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

within a wing lenght of the ground you get more lift because of what we call the ground effet. On small runways planes use this to just lift of the runway and loose the drag from the road to gain speed quicker while staying in this 5m range and then gain altitude. Of course if they exit this area to quickly, the plane stalls and if there's a building you had to clear well put the breaks and make your prayers.

So actually, this method of launch could get someone to do the first wingsuit landing. You gain speed, lift chest, get a good angle of attack, do some pretty proximity flight to the raod and then land smoothly back on it with the roller blades all over your body.

For Ground Effect to be a siginificant factor, the distance between the ground and the wing must be really small in wing span terms.

Span dominated ground effect reduces induced drag (by not allowing the wingtip vortices to form). for a 50% reduction of induced drag the wing must be 10% of the span from the ground. About 6 inches for a 5 foot span.

Chord dominated ground effect may increase lift but the wing must be pretty close to the ground. As an example. A height of 5% of chord for a 30% increase in lift. That is 3 inches for a 5 foot chord.

The road will need to be at the exact varying glide angle as this persons flight characteristics in a flare under the atmospheric conditions.

In other words, it ain't happening :P.

Kris.

This talk here reminds me of another rather impressive wingsuit event is the salomon video where the wingsuiter flies only 6 feet above a ski slope...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqW6O_dcF2M

Considering that race skiiers can exceed 100kph, I've wondered if a professional skydiver/alpine racer has attempted to test-fly wingsuit with skiis on (at high altitude), to determine aerodynamic characteristics and determine the feasibility of landing on a ski slope. Probably not, but a fun thought exercise...