The111

Mercury Rising: Photos of the new Tony Suit

I can imagine a scenario where one arm or hand is injured and not able to help unzip the good arm. For this reason the pf and birdman type release cables would seem to have an advantage. The S-Fly style single handle system that can be reached easily with either hand seems even better.
---------------------------------
ok yes the s-fly would be best in this situation, do you think you could cut both sides away with the standard BM PF with one hand?
ok so one hand is immobilized, I would unzip that hand ummm :)

Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

Well this is one way to get VOC in to your product development process

I have used my arm wing cut away twice due to jammed zippers. It may take longer to attach but I'm very happy I have them

Raising your knees with the centrifugal force of a spinning mal could prove tricky.
------------------------------------
ok, again if one zip jams use the other,
If I couldn't lift my legs due to centrifugal force's I think its time to cutaway, and lastly James, what's VOC?:)

tonysuits.com

ok so one hand is immobilized, I would unzip that hand ummm Smile couldn't I unzip the other now, how mashed is the bad hand, how did it get mashed, on opening?

At the AN72 boogie two jumpers collided, and one ended up with a broken (upper)arm. Trying to undo zippers in a situation like that will definately be a big hassle..
And there are a few other freaky incidents where the armwing cutaway proved a valluable asset of the wingsuit.

ok all good, but every jump you release the arm zips, now in an emergency you have to do something different..........

Is that the excact same thing as pulling your main every jump, and in an emergency having to do something different....(pulling your reserve)

plus in a spinning mall cutaway why would you release the arms?

To prevent the spinning mall from making you do the actual cutaway.....
As pointed out earlyer...using the release-cables, means one big move even a gorilla with fingers like sausages could do in a panicy situation.
Having to undo a zipper, as easy and accesable as it may be, in an emergency situation, its definately going to be harder to quickly grab and undo..

now as many people have never had an arm zipper jam on this jump you get two jam, chance's are slim

The reason for the zipperjam (fluffy sweater) could verry wel hit a double version of the same system...
Granted, the suits I fly have the system on there as rigging cables in the first place. But personaly I just like 'the backup system' using a completely different technique/system then the main one (the zippers).
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

well getting into a canopy collision while wingsuiting seems an odd thing considering the separation we get, maybe if you have two arm zips don't open close to another wingsuiter:)
pulling your reserve isn't different, its what you always do after a cutaway:)
not sure about the spinning mal, I think I could get the arms zips open ok, what are you gonna do with your arms anyway, kick out of twists? or steer? I can still get my back risers remember.

don't wear a fluffy sweater :)

tonysuits.com

don't wear a fluffy sweater

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will you print that on the warning label?
--------------------------------
ha, but seriously, I've said for many years that skydivers need to go out to a ski shop and buy some good polypropylene [or whatever] underwear so you don't "bulk up" so much under the suit,
after jumping over those snow capped mountains last month, [did you see the movie? I watch it every day :)

tonysuits.com

ha, but seriously, I've said for many years that skydivers need to go out to a ski shop and buy some good polypropylene

But actual clothing ment to keep you warm?
But how and when are we skydivers ment to do 'our poser thing' in our hoodies and 10 different long and short sleeve shirts with logos of engerydrinks then?

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I have had a zipper jam and relied on the cable release to get to my toggle. I jump a big old lightly loaded Sabre that doesn't respond much/quickly to harness input. Other then a broken zipper, the only time I would need the release is when time is critical, a mal on my reserve. When seconds count, I like the idea that I can undo both cables at the same time. A zipper release system has to be done one at a time.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Jezz I dunno, Im just a simple jumpsuit designer,

you could wear your cool T over the full body spandex underwear you now wear cos your a super fast, shooting across the sky speed freak,

it might stop people laughing at you looking like a tart in spandex

tonysuits.com

ok all good, but every jump you release the arm zips, now in an emergency you have to do something different.......... plus in a spinning mall cutaway why would you release the arms?

My cuttaway procedure is the same whether in a WS or out. The only time I need to detach the wings are if I need to deal with twists or a brake fire. Some twists you can just grab the risers low just above the links and make things good but a brakefire requires a longer reach.

I have personally seen a very pro wingsuiter futz with a twisted main way to long and finally go to his reserve lower than he should have only to find it equally twisted up bad and low. The very positive wing cuttaways on his BM suit was the only thing that allowed him to save himself.

But Tony, what exactly is your objection to an armwing cutaway system?
You can just add a birdman style cable through tabs and a connect it on the chest.
Are you worried about air leaking out when backflying? Because I don't think that would be a big problem.
You could maybe even get it a kinda airlocked by putting a strip of fabric behind it or something.
Tristan
Will you answer "NO" to my next question?

The only time I need to detach the wings are if I need to deal with twists or a brake fire. Some twists you can just grab the risers low just above the links and make things good but a brakefire requires a longer reach.
-------------------------------
Ive fixed a break fire with my back riser, Sabre 2 120, easy

tonysuits.com

BECAUSE i HATE MESSING WITH SOMTH ON EVERY JUMP THAT i MIGHT NEVER USE opps, dint mean to write that in capitals

Haha, you said MIGHT! You might never use your reserve canopy, but you still jump that every time. Besides, there is nothing to mess with (maybe just a snap to connect the two cabels on the chest). And your SM1 doesn't have to have a cutaway system;).

I think a lot of people are afraid of the big wings (unrightfully so since it is easy to fly and remarkably easy to get the hackey compared to other suits) and being able to get rid of them quickly will probably set their minds at ease a bit.

Just playing devils advocate:P, it's still the best suit there is!:)
One other thing to pay attention to with the SM1 is using a long bridle and large pilot chute since there is quite a big burble behind you.
Tristan
Will you answer "NO" to my next question?

BECAUSE i HATE MESSING WITH SOMTH ON EVERY JUMP THAT i MIGHT NEVER USE opps, dint mean to write that in capitals

I don't understand this...
as i told you face 2 face, my experience of a closed bag, cutting away the main closed bag DID NOT worked (chocked pilot chute inside the bridle)... how do you manage this without an WING cut AWAY system ?
Yuo need to reach the risers, fast, clean and quick... rising your knees it's not applicable while in freefall.

maybe there will be a dead bird now if he didnt cutted away the wings to helping the 3 ring system to unlock the flaps... yes... it's a RIG malfunction... but i will not need a RESERVE canopy if the rig works all the times.

I hope you will take care of this before start selling in our country...
and i mean i will be the FIRST to order a SM1 or a Mercury... I LOVED that SUIT !
Marco "Pazzo" Pistolesi
pistolesi.marco(at)gmail.com

I did always like the S-fly cutaway, its also the inflation when flat flying, brill, but for backflying there is no inflation and messing with the chest cutaway every jump.....you could have a handle either side of center like Chuck said.

the arm zipper's seems so easy and cute :)
Hey Triston, did you see Norm kent in your SM1 in Matt's flock&dock pix

and Marco, when you cutaway a pilot chute in tow, it will not go, the bag is staying in the container, its the reason you are cutting away right?

tonysuits.com

Howdy Tony,

Why don't you just make the cable cutaway an option ? I've got over 1,000 jumps on my BM classic and never had to use the cables. When I order my new suit from ya, I'd prefer just the zippers. :ph34r:

Loved your Aerobat demo, that I jumped in Pepperell.
Helped this Smurf say up with the 6 footers !!!!

Will stop by and see you in January, if you stay in FL. for a few minutes. ;)

Blueskys!!!

Josh "Papa Smurf" Wolfe