shah269

Shooeez do you uze

A discussion I had with someone who is a world class skydiver and significantly more jumps than I.
What shoes do you jump with and why?
Per your experience what type of shoe would you recommend?

Here is the shoe that I ware when jumping.
http://www.zappos.com/images/737/7370311/8521-526627-p.jpg
:)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I use mostly skateboarding shoes (Airwalk, DCshoes)

my reasoning is they grip pretty well when you want (slow speed on the plane for example), and slip n slide on the grass for landing with speed if you need
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I use mostly skateboarding shoes

When I first started jumping I thought most skydivers were old school skaters also. Then people told me they don't skate and the theory behind the shoes for jumping.

I rock DVS shoes, grippy, cushioned for landings, good for skateboarding. I added 4mm insoles because of a no wind landing that bruised my heal for a week (tried to slow it down before full flare, stupid me).

I really really dislike slippery soles when i'm jumping, so I only jump shoes with some grip. I've tried a bunch of shoes and stick with the following now:
Either Nike Air Max 1 or 90 whenever it's hot and dry (not happening much this summer [:/]), otherwise the more sturdy, waterproof, grippy and totally comfortable Hanwag Arrows.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I've tried just about everything over the years.

I like to slide my landings so for the last 5 years or so I've been using shoes I buy at Walmart. Black and look just like Vans.

I go through 2 pair a year but they're only $21.00 and they last for about 200-250 jumps.

And how can you go wrong jumping a shoe that goes by the name "Airspeed".
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

And how can you go wrong jumping a shoe that goes by the name "Airspeed".

I'm wearing a pair right now. I was pissed when I couldn't find them anymore.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I generally wear old running shoes. I wear them around until there's no tread left on the bottom, then make them my skydiving shoes. (Tread is bad if you're wanting to start your landings sliding.)

my old sneakers always become my jumping-shoes, when the sole is wore down, they make for perfect turfsurfers! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

So to sum it up 4/5 skydivers agree smooth bottom shoes are the way to go.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I jump cheap running shoes ($15 or so) that have mesh like material on the top of the nose of the shoe so that they let air through. I usually jump without socks so I can feel the air/pressure on my toes.

I used to jump skateboard shoes (vans etc) but they seem to not let air through, and the sole is to big to squeez your foot in thight places.

And on sunny hop n pop's I wear trusted teva's.
Parachute gear garage sale at :http://www.usedparachutes.eu

I bought a cheap $30 pair of closed toe trail shoes for jumps 1-50, but since then I've worn my Vibram Five Fingers. Just got a pair of Komodo Sports which I've worn for the last 15 and wore my Sprints for the 6 before that. They're great, but I'm gonna have to pick up some actual shoes for the tunnel this weekend since it would suck to get a toe ripped off by the net. I'll go take a look at chucks.

Just a thought about getting a toe ripped off by the net: would it not suck equally much to get a toe mangled by having caught on something else you land on when parachuting?

Five Fingers are way cool, but I would have thought the arguments to not wear them in the tunnel would apply to skydiving, maybe moreso.

(This is me though, I wear skate shoes and gloves even if I'm otherwise jumping naked :P)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

After jumping in Tevas and landing off and wearing Tevas and having the front strap come off on landing, I now jump in Vans or Sketcher skate shoes.

There are a lot of things that can rip a toe off in skydiving. Hitting it on the door when exiting and landing off in uneven terrain are the two that really stick out (no pun intended). Plan for the worst and hope for the best. It's the times that you are prepared for things going wrong that will help you continue to still make it into that playground we call the sky.

Scott

My main concern with the tunnel is that when I cork out I see the chance of something happening skyrocket since I'm out of control.

My main concern with skydiving in them is landing which is why I didn't wear them when I was jumping in Texas. The ground sucked and I was more likely to land on something sharp that could puncture through the sole. Now I'm jumping in Wisconsin and the LZ is beautiful and the outs aren't that much worse.

It's a calculated risk that changes depending on where I'm jumping and I assess the situation as it changes.