shah269

Shooeez do you uze

My main concern with the tunnel is that when I cork out I see the chance of something happening skyrocket since I'm out of control.

My main concern with skydiving in them is landing which is why I didn't wear them when I was jumping in Texas. The ground sucked and I was more likely to land on something sharp that could puncture through the sole. Now I'm jumping in Wisconsin and the LZ is beautiful and the outs aren't that much worse.

It's a calculated risk that changes depending on where I'm jumping and I assess the situation as it changes.

i see a couple things wrong with that way of thinking, but hey, who am i to tell; you're a grown-up man, licensed to skydive, you'll know what's best for you! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I didn't jump in them while I was in Texas.

Contrary to what people in Texas like to think ;), their dirt isnt that different than anywhere else.

Considering there is ALWAYS a good change of an off landing when you cant do you own spot and you have other people in a plane, you should plan for that. Your main landing area my be fine to landing in toed-shoes, but what about the corn field next to it? Or the rock garden on the other side? Or the rapeseed field? Or the bushes over there?

Make your own call, but if you feel one place isnt appropriate for them, take that thinking to other places too.
Remster

since u ask me directly, i'll tell you about one of my instructors. i think she only had slightly more jumps than you have now, and like everybody at that stage, myself included, we think we're invincible, and the "bad" cant happen to us. so far, so good.

so, coming back to my instructor, which is a pretty hot chick i must add, maybe even more so if she didnt had that limp. well, she used to have a limp, it's not so bad now anymore, since she had both her hip-joints replaced after about a decade of constant pain with them. mind you, she's not even 40 yet.
likely, it wont be her last hip-joints she'll get if she makes it to 60, because those artificial joints hold up for about 20yrs.

so, she used to like jumping in tevas, or better yet, with BARE feet. i think that is comparable to toed shoes.

anyway, one day she came in shit smoking hot, got her feet somehow tangled and ended up with a pelvis broken in multiple places, even her vay-jay bone was apart, some fucked up joints, and i'm not sure on that part, but i think one or two femurs were also "kaputt".

i havent learned much, but when she told me that story, that was pretty clear to me that i will always jump in at least some sort of "proper" shoes. i'd love to have a jump with bare feet, that must feel amazing, but, i dont think it's a smart idea.

but hey, as i said, you're an adult, you can make your own choices. so can i. and some of the choices even i have made, i would highly recommend against, so take it for what it's worth.. :)
even on hot summer days, i wont even jump without my gloves, which is another layer of protection that i think is to be considered.

basically it's your life, but just pause for a minute and think of a really hot skydiver chick; then think of her walking; do you really think a limp is sexy!? ;)

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

But everything is supposed to bigger/better in Texas [:/]

You make good points and you're right, it's a calculated risk on my part.

even on the danger of sounding like a really old fart, how much do you know, or what you dont know, qualifies you to make a "risk calculation"? you can hardly walk, and you're already making plans for a marathon!?

not so smart, young jedi.. :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

first of all she probably got hurt because she a a girl, this has nothing to do with shoes.
second she is probably walking funny cuz she just came out of the trailer with two other freely dudes practicing "three way" flower exits on top of a bed.

I'm just kidding here.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I still don't understand what she got tangled up in that would have cause her to crash and burn. Was it another skydivers gear who had landed before her? Was she taking part in a swoop accuracy competition and got tangled up in the boundary lines? All you're saying is that she didn't wear closed toe shoes and due to that she broke multiple bones, but you haven't explained how it happened.

That's like saying, "Don't eat fish. Why not? Because someone I know got sick from eating fish. How? Was it undercooked, was it not prepared correctly? No, she ate fish, she got sick, therefore you should never eat fish."

I used to wear Tevas and loved them.

Then on a big way exit I stepped down on the back of some guy's extra big feet and caught his shoe heel with the nail on my big toe.

It hurt like hell but of course I sucked it up and did the jump.

When I landed my toe nail was completely ripped all the way back to the cuticle. I've never had so much pain and throbbing.

It made for a long week of big ways.

I've been in closed toe shoes ever since.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

well, it's four years ago i've heard, and since i dont live on the dz, i cant get the exact, precise and detailed pieces of information you're looking for.

it seems you've made up your mind already, so as i said, do wwhat you want, you will anyway. :)

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

the landing area isn't smooth enough to slide anyway, so I wear kind of hiking shoes for grip. Don't really restrict running since doesnt go too far up the anckle. They are gore tex too, which is nice if it has rained before.