mccordia

www.wingsuitcompetition.com (2 way + camera, artistic event)

website updates
- Ive decided to try the spellcheck function, which gave me roughly 200 corrected typos, so the text should actually be readable now.
- I've added 3 more animations to the page with the competition jumps. All rounds now have example animations.
- Knowing some flyers favour a certain 'good side' in barrelrolls and backfly transitions, you're free to rotate in whichever way you want. As long as the docks and rolls are made as precribed, the direction in which you make them is up to the flyers to decide.
- Just in case someone doesnt understand, the objective for each round is to show the figures as often as possible in the contest altitude (up to breakoff at 4500)
- Birdman also granted prizes (x3) for the 1st, 2nd and 3d team
- Cypress is sponsoring the event with (free), how could it be any different, PINK T-Shirts, especialy made for the event (special thanx to Kaat aka PinkBird for arranging that)

We're also going to try and arrange some special seminars at the event:
- Manufacturers talking about development.
- Top Flyers talking techniques.

But most important:
- Everyone present talking about idea's for the future. Be it technique, formations or attitude. Idea's and suggestions are welcome.

Lets make this an event for the people, by the people :)

And ofcourse we expect everyone to bring any frame of video they can find from past jumps to entertain and/or learn.

A big group of people with simular intrestst together, so lets talk!
Its a meeting of geeks. Just without the GPS this time (although bringing a GPS on a contest jump is allowed, for those who truly cant jump without one, and would start crying if they did)

After the event, we want to continue flocking. But not in the the way we're used to.
Ofcourse there will be flocks for people will little experience. But we're more excited about
setting up several smaller 'project groups'. Small flocks working on certain jumps. Trying new things. Working together to create some awesome visuals, practicing untill they're flown slotperfect.

Anyways...check out the website

www.wingsuitcompetition.com
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

website updates- I've added 3 more animations to the page with the competition jumps. All rounds now have example animations.

That animation is really cool with the shadowing. Now in the next generation if you could get the camber of the wings to change when the ani-flyer is doing a barrel roll and or back flying that would be a nice touch, it is just so unrealistic now :P

Looks like it will be a great time!

Scottt C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

That animation is really cool with the shadowing. Now in the next generation if you could get the camber of the wings to change when the ani-flyer is doing a barrel roll and or back flying that would be a nice touch, it is just so unrealistic now :P

I'll try and amaze you with the next update :P

Looks like it will be a great time!

Scottt C.

Yea..so where will you be April next year?B|;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Ive updated the animations for the competition jumps with correct camber/shape of the wings..B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Very cool.....what animation program are you using?

This was made with 3DS MAX, but could have been 99% similar coming from Maya, Blender, Lightwave or any other 3D program.

And small note: I made these animated gifs, so they also play on most newer cellphones, for those who want them avaiable when training on a dropzone.

If these jumps (and the event) work, next year we'll be using there and some other figures in true random rounds. Doing stuff like dock - frontloops - backloop etc etc. Multiple figures in one jump.
But this year, we're keeping things simple, as the backflying stuff already seems to be a headache for quite a few people.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I have never used these programs.....are the easy enough for a reasonably computer literate person to learn? I would love to buy one of these programs and be able to dive engineer flocks at our DZ....so much easier to visualize than on a white board! Thanks for the info.

Ive been using 3D programs for about 12 years now. And from what Ive seen other people do. Its not real easy to learn the programs unless you really spend a lot of hours on em.

The best advice is to get a simple program like POSER or something similar and use some of the standard (included) figures to design dives.

Although laptops on a DZ for briefing take a lot of time.

With FlyLikeBrick, we use something more low-tech, but A LOT easyer in use..

See attached pics..

If people like, we'll throw a printable PDF file on our website this week with these figurines...print, paste on a piece of cardboard and you're done..
Foor boogies, everyone could print one and bring it with their own colour/name on there.

We always have a small stack of these in our gearbag when we do loadorganising etc.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

This one too ?

We just have generic ones with an empty space for names.
Even just a triangle would work..

But yea...why not? If a 5 year old kid can cut and paste something like that together, a fair percentage of wingsuit flyers should be able to do the same right:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Extreme FlyWear has been so generous to donate 3 pairs of freefly pants to the winning team.

We're working hard with all sponsors to get all prizes x3, so each teammember gets the same thing, and people dont have to bitch and fight over who gets what;)

If you check http://www.wingsuitcompetition.com/prizes.htm you'll see the prizes listed (now also per position/place)

More comming soon!

And a big thank you to all the sponsors so far..!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Ha Taya is already an honourly crewbird. If she is in Belgium she is part of the team.
But i agree with Kaat about the birdbabe. You can't have to manyB|

If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook

http://www.wingsuitcompetition.com/teams.htm

- The Danish national team "ShakeIt Bird" is now also featured in the team galleries!
- 'The French' have announced they are putting together several teams to compete.
- We're working on getting more language version of the site online.
French, English and maybe also a Spanish version..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Heyhey,

Some news on the competition;

- Karin (aka 'Kaat') has found nice, cheep cabins close to the dropzone.
For those interested, send her a message to sort out a reservation for you and your team.
PM Karin
- For those wanting to take it cheep and easy (no more driving to a cabin after drinking in the DZ bar, just roll into bed), Bunkrooms are available, and camping on the dropzone is also allowed.
The dropzone has good showers/toilets.
- Next to the teams already announced, we have quite a few 'big names' currently looking into coming. With a bit of luck we'll truly have most of the good wingsuit pilots there, making sure the flying we will be seeing is going to be top notch!
- We now also have a logo, and working with sponsors, there will probably be some cool (free) T shirts for everyone :)
- We are also working with the dropzone to try and arrange a package deal for food/drinks.
- Most people are aiming at arriving monday evening/tuesday morning.
Training tuesday/wednesday. The competition is set for thursday/friday (sat/sun in case of bad weather).
- After the competition (for the weekend), Load Organising is present, and with the 30 to 40 flyers we have there, we will be doing some awesome jumps and try some new and funky formations..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I might not have moral standards of Mother Teresa or Pope, BUT... "2 way artistic event"????? Unless the rules specify that it's a male/female pair, this is totally morally wrong... like 2-men figure skating or dancing tango.

And it's alright. Wingsuiting revolutionized the archaic moral norms. Nowadays, it's perfectly fine to touch another man dressed in colorful costume in freefall, do a 50-way same-sex orgy in the sky codenamed "flocking", or perform artistic moves like in Swan Lake ballet.

The impeccable straightness of nonartistically flying maxed out, swooping clouds or mountains is as hard to find these days as finding a man with four nipples.

;)

Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

... is as hard to find these days as finding a man with four nipples.

You called?

I wasn't particularly looking, but... with 8 nipples and 6 balls total between you, Jarno and me (flying camera), we'll surely win the gold in Artistic Expression - if not in the air, then on the ground.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio