mbondvegas

What are World Class Fall Rates and Flight Times Down/Up to These Dates

So why were the Marl comp results no where near these numbers?

I'm talking average for the whole flight. If I stand up at my desk now and jump, there is a moment I'm flying and my decent rate is zero. Yay! I can fly!

Moments mean fuck all.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

So why were the Marl comp results no where near these numbers?

this year first place was not even near last year first place. whole concept there is questionable. Best is to come there w big mid '70s RW suit (Balloon suit) As it was made of bad ripstop, i guess there is not even one in good shape :(

I'm talking average for the whole flight. If I stand up at my desk now and jump, there is a moment I'm flying and my decent rate is zero. Yay! I can fly!
t

agree w Tonto here...
Average count.
However whole concept of watching just vertical decent is entirely wrong.
Heavier people can just dream about the low numbers, but often light people can just dream about heavier people performance (in case heavier know how to use the weight ;))
;)
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

I think a whole flight avg. of around 35 mph is about the best Ive seen.

But there's probably (termanaly ill, incredibly skinny, 2 meter tall:P)people out there who can do even better...

And competitions dont really mean anything if everyone out there isnt competing in it...UncleCharlie wasnt flying at Marl this year, and he can definately fly a lot longer times then what he did the previous year (which was already down to 38 mph or so if I recall correctly?)
And from what I read, Robi could go way, way bellow those speeds..

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thanks Boris for your input... over the months I've been reading James articles on performance flying and your post too; of course an excellent base to start with, but I agree, the secret is that there is no secret... just Do It, and above all Keep Smiling all the way.. so yes definitely we will meet in Arezzo in September as I want to make sure you guys are only made of flesh and blood! :S

Today I had chance to jump one distance chasing WS jump with my brother B|.
The result was not as expected - because I made excellent jump and he was able to follow me but not to catch me.B|B|B|
My average was 63 km/h (39 mph), I am 192 cm and my exit weight is 97 kg (213 lb).

OK, I admit, he was wearing Phantom too.... :P

On the second jump he switched back to V2 and demonstrated distance chase with average of 50 km/h (31 mph).....
Now I know what numbers are possible but I also know how I have to fly to get them - fast horizontaly.

In my opinion, for those who knows how to fly, vertical speed is just excellent indicator about the quality of the flight.

Hey Boris,

Who is flying from Smellveggan(exit altitude 930m) in the Kjerag_07.wmv clip? Robi emailed me that clip, I am assuming it was him. That is a 46 second flight(44 secs thru 1 min 30 secs). Assuming 150m opening altitude, that is an average vertical speed of 38mph.

I would be a bit skeptical of any reading of lower average vertical speed while flying for distance from an airplane than my average vertical speeds on a WSBASE jump flown for distance.

These numbers you have quoted, what is the exit altitude? What kind of airplane(exit airspeed)?

Kris

Hi Kris,

Who is flying from Smellveggan(exit altitude 930m) in the Kjerag_07.wmv clip?.....etc.

That is Robert, for any further details about that jump ask him but I think whole jump was about 50 sec. :)

These numbers you have quoted, what is the exit altitude? What kind of airplane(exit airspeed)? ***

We are jumping Cessna C-185 from 2500 meters. I am always turning 180 degrees after exit towards the airfield so airspeed from the plane does not really help me there.

Numbers I posted (Robi's and mine) are from distance flying.
I suggest to all to work on distance flying. I am convinced you will be surprised with the outcome ...:)
Boris

I am always turning 180 degrees after exit towards the airfield so airspeed from the plane does not really help me there.

Side subject, but depending on how fast/smooth you make that turn, airspeed from the plane can definately stil help you out...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Side subject, but depending on how fast/smooth you make that turn, airspeed from the plane can definately stil help you out...

My only goal is distance and I am testing myself by exiting far away from the airfield.
Believe me, you don't want to fly anywhere else after my exit than towards the airfield... My turn is fast and sharp.
If you have any doubts, come to Zagreb and join me...B|B|B|

PS. I estimate exit speed from our Cessna around 65 kt.

Boris,

39 mph average on straight line flights is definately possible on a Phantom.

I asked Robi this question in PM.

Can anyone (while flying for distance) fly a slower vertical speed(average) out of an airplane than they can on a WSBASE jump?

For a WS BASE flight the following factors are favourable to having a slower vertical average speed.

a) Lighter rig(especially the rigs with the Trango canopy)
b) Denser air.

Kris.

I'm talking average for the whole flight. If I stand up at my desk now and jump,

My best phantom averages have been 38 for half a dive, 40 for the whole dive.

BUT for flying with other people I don't think there is any way I could ave less than the 50/55 you quoted in your last post. The extra mental workload alone would prohibit it (for me), let alone having to keep an eye on the other people.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Today I had chance to jump one distance chasing WS jump with my brother B|.
The result was not as expected - because I made excellent jump and he was able to follow me but not to catch me.B|B|B|
My average was 63 km/h (39 mph), I am 192 cm and my exit weight is 97 kg (213 lb).

OK, I admit, he was wearing Phantom too.... :P

On the second jump he switched back to V2 and demonstrated distance chase with average of 50 km/h (31 mph).....
Now I know what numbers are possible but I also know how I have to fly to get them - fast horizontaly.

In my opinion, for those who knows how to fly, vertical speed is just excellent indicator about the quality of the flight.

What was your opening altitude and which was your average horizontaly speed or/and distance?

thx

What was your opening altitude and which was your average horizontaly speed or/and distance?

Exit at 2500 meters, opening at 900 meters.
I can only estimate glide ratio (covered distance) to approximate 1:1.8 (without wind).

At particular jump I was more concentrated not to be catch by Robert than to the ground marks...B|B|B|

Exit at 2500 meters, opening at 900 meters.
I can only estimate glide ratio (covered distance) to approximate 1:1.8 (without wind).

At particular jump I was more concentrated not to be catch by Robert than to the ground marks...B|B|B|

1.8 is too low an estimate.

Kris.

1.8 is too low an estimate.

The way I am looking to Glide Ratio - I don't think so.
Remember, this is average of the whole jump - from the exit in opposite direction to the flight path till opening with assistance of 0 km/h wind.

I am not talking about GR during the best part of the flight, like Robi explained here - http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2731517;#2731517.

If you do some very rough calculation, assuming your average vertical speed to 65 km/h, 1 m/s of down wind is adding about 0.05 to your glide ratio. (With help of the 4 m/s wind you are flying over 2.0 GR.)

Data calculated that way pretty good match with the jumps I am making here with the estimated wind speed at the altitude (from meteo or pilot information) and jumping over known land marks around airfield (as I described in previous threads).

Boris

Exit in opposite direction to flight path does not do anything, if, you did a fast turn.

If average downward speed was 39mph, the total speed is 80 mph. I don't think 80 mph total speed is fast. It can only be achieved by someone of your build if they are flying at a high angle of attack. Since you were flying better than Robi and we all know that he will Instantaneously Combust :D if he flies at a high angle of attack, that 1.8 does not make sense.

Unless, you don't really know how to fly for distance and Robi was just messing with you. :P

Kris.

Exit in opposite direction to flight path does not do anything, if, you did a fast turn.

Really?!
You have to kill the speed you get from the plane (cca. 65 kt), turn 180 degrees and fly back.
Flying in the same direction as the plane does not help my GR, turning 180 degrees also does not help my GR.
By looking to my exit point (relative to the ground) I spent some time of my flight without flying single meter back.

I think it have some impact on my performance...the way how I am measuring it.