mbondvegas

What are World Class Fall Rates and Flight Times Down/Up to These Dates

I saw some older posts on the subject, but am interested in what people are getting these days in all of the newer suits.

Looking at the pics of the Ghost, Blade, and Super Mach1...I'm guessing the bar has been raised substantially recently.

If you mention freefall time, be sure to indicate your exit alti and deployment alti.

My Phantom arrives on Monday....I can't wait.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

I think freefall avg. of around 35 mph or so are doable for quite a few people now.

Im talking avg over a whole jump, not peak readings after breakoff etc, those are just like swooping/flaring a canopy, not real indicator of the actual glide or freefall time possible from full altitude. Im getting speeds of around 20 mph at breakoff, while still flying forward fast, but that speed slowly bleeds off again after 30 seconds or so, and starts to settle again at an avg fallrate of around 37/38 mph or so. Which I think is rougly what a lot of people I know are flying when they're doing max flight in 'big suits'

But a lot of people take their killer breakoff performance, and claim that as their full jump avg.

Just taking a look at the best speeds flown at the contests such as those in Marl (I think) is quite a good indicator.

Dont take what people say they can do as reference for your own performance, as thats quite often a whole lot different from the speeds and distances they are actually flying when you jump with them, both in flocking and max flight;)

And (when talking fallrates) skinny bastards do have the edge on slighly more 'gifted' people ofrcourse:P

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I am 5'6" 150lbs (add 25lbs for equipment). I can do in the high 40s in my Aerobat, maxed out and not for the entire dive. Upper 50s on command, 60s for an entire flocking dive.

Can not wait to see what times we get on our SM1s when they arrive.
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

The most free fall time I have gotten on the Tony Suits Aerobat have been 130, 132, and 138. I did see 162 on my neptune once, but I am sure that was not correct.
www.thebrothersgray.com

The most free fall time I have gotten on the Tony Suits Aerobat have been 130, 132, and 138. I did see 162 on my neptune once, but I am sure that was not correct.

As nice as all these times are...they are quite meaningless without the actual altitude where you exited the aircraft?

Seeing as the 'standards' for exit altitude vary per country, just sticking to the avg. mph over the whole jump is probably the best reference?

As for your misreading on the neptune, slowing down a lot before opening (flaring/stalling your suit) can sometimes trick a neptune/protrack into not realising you opened. And continue recording your lower canopy fallrate as freefall.

But it could just as well be an accurate reading. Everyone has his freaky jump every once in a while, where you get a fallrate and/or distance you cant seem to copy every time you try after that. Freak performance..being ultimately 'switched on'...it happens to everyone at some point I think..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Agreed ---- It is not some much the exit atitude as it is the difference between exit and deployment altitudes.

Sec
126 Exit 13.7K Deployment 2.4K
126 Exit 14.2K Deployment 2.9K
128 Exit 13.5K Deployment 2.0K
129 Exit 15.0K Deployment 2.2K
130 Exit 13.4K Deployment 3.3K
132 Exit 14.0K Deployment 2.6K
138 Exit 14.8K Deployment 2.3K
162 Exit 14.4K Deployment 3.1K (Neptune error)??
www.thebrothersgray.com

Agreed ---- It is not some much the exit atitude as it is the difference between exit and deployment altitudes.

Doesnt that just come down to the avg. fallrate again thenB|

Based on that everyone can calculate what he/she could do with a 25k exit and 2k pull (fatige excluded ofcourse)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Yes ---- but I was not about to do the math (I hate math) or run back through the jumps on my neptune. Too lazy. ;):S:D:ph34r:

www.thebrothersgray.com

Im getting 1m 45 sec on my phantom, but that is with a foward speed of 175 mph(according to gps). And a fall rate of about 60.

Almost 3.0 in Phantom? Sounds [I]trackingderbyish[/I] ;)
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Sounds trackingderbyish

Yuri, I realize you wrote this with a smile and a wink, but what do you mean by this? Are referring to extremely favorable tail winds or something else?

I'm curious because the performance on Tracking Derby is often hard to reconcile with "real world" performance (both tracking and wingsuits).
Brian Drake

Today I had chance to jump one distance chasing WS jump with my brother B|.
The result was not as expected - because I made excellent jump and he was able to follow me but not to catch me.B|B|B|
My average was 63 km/h (39 mph), I am 192 cm and my exit weight is 97 kg (213 lb).

OK, I admit, he was wearing Phantom too.... :P

On the second jump he switched back to V2 and demonstrated distance chase with average of 50 km/h (31 mph).....
Now I know what numbers are possible but I also know how I have to fly to get them - fast horizontaly.

In my opinion, for those who knows how to fly, vertical speed is just excellent indicator about the quality of the flight.

"Now I know what numbers are possible but I also know how I have to fly to get them - fast horizontaly"

Wow 39 mph average in a Phantom, this is phenomenal, I have a hard time keeping it at 50 (exit weight 170 lbs - 5'10") :( how about telling us the secret? :S
By the way, all the praise has been said about the performance of the flight and I will add to that compliments for the artistic editing of "Norway terrain flying" and the planning music and especially the end with the fondu of Robi in the mist and the tribute to Stevo... beautiful!

Wow 39 mph average in a Phantom, this is phenomenal, I have a hard time keeping it at 50 (exit weight 170 lbs - 5'10") :( how about telling us the secret? :S

I tend to average low 60's usually. So I'd love to know the secret too.

Though I'm thinking I could probably lower my exit weight some over the fall.

"Now I know what numbers are possible but I also know how I have to fly to get them - fast horizontaly"

By the way, all the praise has been said about the performance of the flight and I will add to that compliments for the artistic editing of "Norway terrain flying" and the planning music and especially the end with the fondu of Robi in the mist and the tribute to Stevo... beautiful!

I have averaged 38/39 several times in the phantom, and I know it's capable of more because those flights have actually been slightly inconsistent rather than a completely smooth holding of the absolute max position. I've plateaued a bit though on my last few maxed jumps so I'm going to concentrate on flocking and acro for the next few months and re-visit maxed solo flying later in the year:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

OK, this is a reply to my own query... "la nuit porte conseil" probably the spirit of air visited me this night and thinking about it better I guess I have the clue and here it is: I'm not getting enough drive because of some slack in the tail wing, in fact even spreading legs and pointing toes as hard as I can, trying to emulate Rudolf Noureev, the tail wing never get taut... I realised that, when I tried on the Ghost I just received, which tail wing gets really taut... reminds me of my sailing the Tornado: just an inch more pull on the main and here it takes off like a jet... so I think I've got the answer, anyway Boris I'd like to hear your point of view.
Ho, by the way, that Ghost is simply a work of technological art! :S

Concerning Phantom flying ...there is no big secret.
Everything really important has been already said and written here: http://www.phoenix-fly.com/articles.htm

...and the way how I am learning it is here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2729826;

Of course, there are some fine tuning things dependent on your personal style but really that's it!
I am planning to be on WS competition in Italy, so maybe we can talk there...

Boris

PS. Thanks for the compliments. I am happy that people are enjoying watching my videos ... :)

I tend to average low 60's usually. So I'd love to know the secret too.

I'm between 50 and 55 sustained for the whole flight in my Blade. I keep hearing numbers in the 30's, but I seem to fly OK with others, no matter who those others may be. (Or what they say they can do.)

t
It's the year of the Pig.