bdrake529

Super Mach 1

yeah - BUT big diff the ratio of arm wing to tailwing is substantailly skewed towards more arm on that GS1 (looks like a gs1) - which means its floats without forward speed or without is the wrong word - its floats with less forward speed RELATIVE to the bigger tailwinged suit. with more forward speed there are obviously other advantages like more lift. SO in effect you now have more or the same lift with more forward speed. this is purely my personal perception after jumping both those suits.

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

why not just stop writing novels about your stupid big ass wingsuit and see if you can sell it for like $50 before everyone realizes its big and stupid.

Dude..

- there is nobody making you read this stuff with a gun to your head...if you dont care..then dont read..
- The BASE forum dissapearing probably left you lonely in front of you computer...maybe try and do something else with your time then just replying 'thats stupid' to everything
- maybe find your SPAM folder, and read one those many emails about penis growth and respond to that...as you seem to have a deeply rooted problem with other peoples size and performance..:P;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

You basicaly answer this question yourself saying:

while I perceive an increase in speed, my arm-wings start fluttering

The wind normaly detaches from the wings a short distance behind the leading edge already. Choosing a steaper angle means the wind starts to attach to the wing. Causing it the flutter and flap, as the wind starts to grab/attach itself to more of the wing on top

You may not have a clean profile/body position, which means the wind never reaches a clean airflow. And keeps the flutter going. But seeing your performance is increasing, you're definately not doing something wrong. You just have to find out how to do it better..

Don't agree with some bits of what you said Jarno. :P

IMO, Attaching air does not cause flap or flutter. At low angles and fast flight regimes, the fabric is pulled parallel to the body. This will not cause or keep flutter going on a properly inflated wing.

Proper inflation makes the wing rigid and flap proof. The key reason for flap is improper inflation. In this case, my best guess is that the suit has been taken past its design boundaries.

Every inlet based on the design works effectively in a angle of attack range. Here are a few thoughts on inlet types the angle of attack regimes that they are most efficent at.

Inlet types and inflation
=================

The amount of air entering the inlet is dependent on the size of the inlet, speed with which it is moving through the air and also on the angle the inlet makes with the air.

a) Mesh covered hole in the wing.

The area of the inlet is parallel to the surface of the wing. This is most effective at higher angle of attack.

Why? Imagine trying to block flow of water along a stream with a flat plate. How will you place the plate in the stream? At 90 degrees to the flow. At any other angle, the plate is less effective. The inlets(Type a) on wingsuits are the same way. The lesser the angle of attack, the less effective they are. The S-fly inlets also fall under this category.

b) Scoops

Like Phantom and Tony suits or like the front air deflectors on the Skyflyer series of suits.

Even though they look different and are placed at a different part of the wing, they work similar to the mesh covered hole inlets. Because most of the the opening area is parallel to the bottom surface of the wing.

I cannot talk about Tony suits from experience. It is possible to fly a phantom so steep that the armwings will start to loose inflation.

c) Scoops facing the correct direction

V2 inlets

These inlets have the inlet area facing 90 degrees to the direction of flow at low angles of attack and are most effective in the low angle of attack regime.

That is what Robi designed them for.

Kris.

If you are going for time do not roll your shoulders instead keep upper body flat (above rib cage) slightly raise hips (curve stomach upward to make airflow flow smoothly to leg wing, dont just bend at the hips this creates more drag) and "hug" the air (imagine a straight line thru your shoulders your elbows should be slightly lower than the imaginary line, then your wrists should be a little bit lower than your elbows) the SM1 requires less air hugging than a M1
Without rolling your shoulders roll elbows forward approx. 90 degrees. If your looking at your left arm that is a clockwise motion. legwing should be opened all the way toes pointed. It takes a little while to dial in any suit. It
sounds like you are flying an angle to steep to support the kind of flying you want to do (going for time) and maybe a little to steep for forward
distance as well. If you want to cover the most distance "slightly" roll
shoulders and curve your entire upper body forward. The smoother the
curve the better.
To slow down forward speed while back flying bend knees and hips as if you are in a seated position while still on back, point wingtip grippers at ground this is the slowest position of backflying. At this point you loose lift so you have to push your armwings back even more to compensate. When i backfly i usually just point wingtip grippers at ground and stay within the
range of most flocks. I bend my legs and hips when i catch a formation and
want to slow down fast.
BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

Without rolling your shoulders roll elbows forward approx. 90 degrees.

Jeff, you must have an extra joint because my elbow and shoulder are rigidly attached by my upper arm, and I cannot roll one without rolling the other. :P:D

Color me confused... I think you need some cool 3D illustrations with monkey heads :ph34r: to help us understand. B|
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

If you want to cover the most distance "slightly" roll
shoulders and curve your entire upper body forward.

Nice description of the slow vert position!

What exactly do you mean by "curve your entire upper body forward"??

If anyone has such a good description of what they consider the best VERT and HORI positions in a Phantom, please PM me.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

if you have your legs staight and your upper body straight and just bend at the waist you will get a small performance increase. Instead produce a smooth curve from waist to shoulders so shoulders are in front of waist(in standing position) so instead of just bending at waist you bend a little in the waist and a little in the stomach and a little in the rib cage(this part is more difficult) and a little in the shoulders so what you have looks like the camber of a wing, a nice smooth curve. The amount you have to curve your upper body is directly dependent on your individual center of gravity and the suit. Everyone is a little different so what works great for one person might not work as well for another. This is the body position for farthest distance.
BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

Whohaha, I got my SM1, aint it sweetB| but as luck should have it I still cant try it out. Pilatus has found some problem with the porter and every porter has to be checked at the factory so practically the whole of france switzerland and italy is not jumping for a week... argh. I guess I can practice for the italian wingsuit comp while cruising past the mont Blanc with Tony:)

Tristan
Will you answer "NO" to my next question?

Out of curiosity what problem did Pilatus find with the Porter? I googled it and went to the Pilatus website and could not find anything about it.....

They found out that dumbasses in squirrel suits keep jumping out of them... ;)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Out of curiosity what problem did Pilatus find with the Porter? I googled it and went to the Pilatus website and could not find anything about it.....

I'm not sure, there is still a little language barrier between me and the frenchies. but when she said little problem she put the index finger and thumb close together so I'm guessing a screw...
Tristan
Will you answer "NO" to my next question?

Hi Birds,
Even with 2 broken wrists, I am able to help ;)
Findings of corrosion, wear and cracks in the upper wing strut fittings on
some PC-6 aircraft have been reported in the past.
It is possible that the spherical bearing of the wing strut fittings installed
in the underwing can be loose in the fitting or cannot rotate because of
corrosion. In this condition, the joint cannot function as designed and
fatigue cracks may then develop. Undetected cracks, wear and/or
corrosion in this area could lead to failure on the upper attachment fitting.
This could result in the failure of the wing structure with subsequent loss
of control of the aircraft
Quote from easa-europa-eu EAD2007-0241-E
Blue skies
Chris
PS Tristan Your New wing rocks

I'm not sure, there is still a little language barrier between me and the frenchies. but when she said little problem she put the index finger and thumb close together

You sure you werent in the toilet, and he was peeking over to you peeing when he made that gesture?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

More flights this weekend, more to report...

The Super Mach 1 is the shit!

I'm loving this suit more and more and though I've only begun to nibble at the potential this suit offers, the progress I've been making (thanks to the advice I've received on this forum) has only whetted my appetite (insert Fat American jab here).

In the hope of posting a video of me "maxing it out" for this forum's analysis, I asked my very experienced friend to film me from his V2 on a performance flight. I exited first and as soon as I could see him above me, I turned toward the DZ and let the suit fly. I was shocked to see him quickly fall behind (and below). I even spent a few seconds slowing down but it was evident he couldn't catch up (and maybe couldn't see me anymore due to my vertical and horizontal distance) so I decided to keep flying.

In fairness to him, he was probably caught by surprise (due to my previous reports of less-than-stellar performance) and by the time he realized the suit really does have lift and speed, he was too behind the curve to catch up. The weekend's activities prevented us from trying again, but I imagine he'd be able to keep up on a second attempt (now knowing what to expect).

Unfortunately, this means I don't have video to post. I have some footage of me flocking, but analyzing my very dirty flying won't really help me figure out how to "max it out".

After that, I let him fly it twice and on his first flight, he went out really relaxed ("not trying very much") and reported a 12.5k-2.5k average fall rate of 37 mph. Though he's gotten better with his V2, he really liked the suit, and after the second flight (which wasn't as smooth since he "tried too hard"), he said "I'm sold" and will be ordering a SM1 as soon as he can.

I also let another very experienced pilot give it a test flight and now his only concern is how to explain the discrepancy between the affiliation of his particular wingsuit instructor rating and the new Tony Suit SM1 he'll be ordering shortly.

The suit has so much range while flocking, I feel I'll need to be disciplined in regularly switching to my Acro, otherwise I'll become a very lazy/dirty wingsuit pilot. As Jeff and others have reported, at breakoff, when I kick it into gear, I watch most other pilots disappear below me.

I did participate in one "race" with two S3s and an Acro, and I clearly flew the farthest. The S3 pilots are both better pilots than I am, so I only have the SM1 to credit.

One thing my friend discovered on his second test flight, is that it is possible to shut down the leg wing if you start first by squeezing your knees together and then your feet. I've been previously trying to close the entire leg at once (foot to foot) and eventually gave that up as futile since those airlocks are so effective. I tried this approach (knees first) and was fairly successful.

Thanks Jeff and Tony for crafting such a great suit. It will be some time before my skills mature to the point where I'm truly benefiting from all the suit has to offer, but in the meantime, I'm still having a blast as I make progress, step by step.
Brian Drake

The suit has so much range while flocking, I feel I'll need to be disciplined in regularly switching

Would you mind elaborating on that statement a bit more then?
Why would there be any need to switch suits?

The SM1 seems to be quite capable of doing aerobatic flight, flocking or max flight at the high end. Why keep those extra bucks hanging around in your gearbag?

Why not sell it (if you need to force yourself to jump it anyways) and spend the money on jumps (gaining more skills) and make another new flyer happy with a 2nd hand suit, which means more people to play with.

No matter what suit anyone is flying, if you learn to fly it well, you can fly one suit, and fly it in any situation. Granted, there are exepctions..

Switching suits is fun, but most of the suits out there (especialy in the big wing/airlocked/double inflation range) seem to be quite the allround puppies...if you dont see a real need to switch suits...then dont?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Winds were absent for the most part. It was hot though. I don't know exactly how hot, but it was hot.

The contest didn't really happen. We tried a first round with 4 contestants, but only 2 of them had usable GPS data. I determined this was because they (2 without data) were sitting with their backs to the repeater and therefore their bodies blocked the GPS relay (a GPS expert has confirmed my experience that the human body is a significant impediment to GPS signals). They left the plane before acquiring any satellites and thus with a cold start, the Foretrex 201s they were using didn't pick up until under canopy. The 2 that did get data, performed fairly well and everyone made it back to the DZ, except for our good samaritan Mike Hansen, who landed with Mike Bond's cutaway main and free bag about a mile and a half from the landing area.

With logistical problems like that, and a limited interest late in the day, a full-fledge glide-ratio competition didn't materialize. In retrospect, I should have started organizing the competition earlier in the day so we could have worked out the kinks and gotten a few rounds in to declare a true winner. Next time...
Brian Drake

With my Acro, I have to fly fairly well to flock with people. If the base is floaty, I really have to work to keep up with them. If I'm flocking with those in big suits, I have to fly towards the top of my performance envelope to keep pace and fall-rate.

My view on this (presented for correction), is that the "challenge" is good for me. The smaller winged Acro really makes me work and I hope I'm becoming a better pilot for it.

For example, when I went to Scott Campos' wingsuit camp in May, my Acro hadn't arrived yet so I had to borrow Scott's Classic. Almost everyone else had modern suits (Phantoms, Mach 1s, Blades, S3s, a Rigor Mortis...) and I really had to fly my ass off just to keep up. But I'm really glad this happened since I felt my learning curve was much higher.

With the SM1, at least with the flocks I've been in with it so far, I'm flying with my knees almost completely bent and my arm wings partially closed. I can fly my slot no problem this way. Since I'm at the low end of the performance range of the suit, when I want to maneuver, I just have to let out a little bit of wing and I'm quickly wherever I want to be. Again, this is only my experience with those I've flocked with so far. I'm sure I'll eventuially participate in flocks with more seasoned fliers that won't let me off so easy.

That's my explanation for the "become a lazy pilot" statement.

I'm also nowhere near exhausting the potential of the Acro and want to keep learning that suit. Buying the SM1 now was a bit of a lapse in patience, but the circumstances and timing were so perfect, I had to buy it. But I didn't "upgrade" because I felt I had outgrown the Acro.

Another main reason for keeping my Acro is that there are 7 other Acros at my DZ. My goal is to get at least some of those pilots interested in a free-flocking "team". I would think a team would benefit from everyone flying the same suit (most of us are roughly the same build). At least in the beginning.

Another reason for keeping a second suit is that I want to have a spare to provide FFCs with when I get a wingsuit instructor rating.

As far as money, the SM1 didn't really "cost" me anything. The funds appeared unexpectedly right before Jeff was in town with a demo SM1 prototype, so I took that as a divine sign to place my order. (of course cash is fungible, but I have selective rationality)
Brian Drake