bdrake529

Super Mach 1

Here's the obligatory pic (still at the office, but out at the "smoker's lounge").

It's a bit blurry, but you get the idea.

Talk about turnaround! Tony got back in the office on Monday and my suit arrived today (in Los Angeles), just in time for a weekend of flying! Thank you Tony and crew!

Anyone have any flying tips for the Super Mach 1? I did 2 flights on Jeff's personal suit (SM1 proto) when he was at the Perris boogie, so I feel confident with basic flight. But I'm curious if anyone has advice on how to maximize the performance (glide ratio) of the suit.

-Should I roll my shoulders?
-Wings completely stretched taut or a slight bit of slack?
-Arms straight to the side (iron cross) or swept back? Level with my body or the "hug the sequoia tree" approach?
-Chin on my chest, or head straight in line with the spine?
-Pronounced de-arch of spine, or only slightly?

I'm sure I'll dial it in. Just looking for pointers to save me time. It seems that every suit I've flown (Classic, S-Fly Expert, Phantom, Acro, Raptor, standard Mach 1) has a slightly unique body position to best utilize the wing shape.
Brian Drake

Just looking for pointers to save me time. It seems that every suit I've flown (Classic, S-Fly Expert, Phantom, Acro, Raptor, standard Mach 1) has a slightly unique body position to best utilize the wing shape.

Body position may be different due to the shape of the suit but if you want to fly for glide, the most important thing is the angle. Fly steep.

Kris.

if you want to get max lift "hug" the air a little less than in a Mach1, hips high. If you want to fly for max distance slightly roll shoulders and go into a slight dive, if you are doin it right you should feel like you are balancing on a knife edge, to much and you go into a steep dive to little and you don't get the forward speed. The suit has tremendous range so it will take quite a few jumps to dial in. Thank you for buying a tonywingsuit. I will be in so cal in oct. Hope to jump with you then.:)

BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

You're telling me. I'm sweating profusely from just 5 minutes of posing in front of the mirror in my apt. Tomorrow's flights in Cal City (Mojave Desert) are going to be brutal (it's forecasted to be 101° F). That's what God made PowerAde for.

The toe-to-throat zippers do appear to provide some relief as I can have the suit practically hanging on me like a cape as I board the plane. I'll wait to zip up until 7-8k ft and the heat shouldn't bother me in flight.
Brian Drake

Tomorrow's flights in Cal City (Mojave Desert) are going to be brutal (it's forecasted to be 101° F). That's what God made PowerAde for.

No that's why SD Santa Barbara exists. I don't think it's topped 88 F here, ever.:P

Good looking wingsuit!
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

welcome to the team!:P stretch your wings tight but dont pull so hard that you tire yourself out quickly. If you get stiff like a board you will fall like a board...Grasshopper!!!!!!

Justin Shorb
Flock U
WSI#4

Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

I found I was flying my Super M1 like my Phantom...(really rolling shoulders)
For me I had a noticable increase in performance by straightening my arms a little and gripping the grippers with 2 fingers...not my hand... whilst trying to 'pull' the wing out a little...

Fighting the suit doesnt work.....its too big....flying the wing relaxed but with tension seems to work for me...
That sweet spot is ooh so sweet when you fly into it...very noticeable...the suit just takes off !!:)

WOW!! When I see pictures of that and the first Mach 1, I think that is a whole lotta wing!! The wing is aproaching "scary big" Is there a leg pouch for better ease of Pull? That said the suit looks great and the turn time is phenominal in under a week....

My question boils down to what are you gaining on that big of a wing? You dont look overly challenged height or weight wise. I am guessing if you back fly all the time like Jeff or even if you look at the stated description that is on the tony suit site: "The Mach One is our largest wing. Providing a slower fall rate and faster forward speeds. Ideal for heavier pilots" A suit that big makes sense.

I guess my spin off question is how much wing is too much for flocking if you dont need the extra surface because of your "big bones"? This question is not a knock againt the Mach 1 in any way but a real question given vocal posts from many on here about their love for the M1 or the SM1. It also introduces the question, with a wing that big, about safety. I dont think it is an unsafe suit and I nobody should take my comment as that but I always looked at the "Big Wing" suits as the arena for the very experienced wingsuit pilot. Nobody can deny the fact that adding that much surface will bring up some challanges to think about from exit to pull and even under canopy to landing, not something for a lesser experienced pilot. IMHO, Bigger suitsa re like HP canopies, they are fantastic when all goes right but the experience is for the 1% of the time that something does not go right.

Sorry for the thread drifft and the suit looks nice, a little hot for the summer in the sandy areas maybe but it looks nice!! That said I think the questins I asked above to have some legitimaticy and I would be interested in responses..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

the suit is designd to be the fastest thing in the sky's, it has a giant range and Jeff's seems to be able to stay down with fast fallers ok, pulling is absolutly no problem, very easy in fact,

Takeing it to the limit
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

The wing is aproaching "scary big" Is there a leg pouch for better ease of Pull?

I asked Tony to put a BASE pouch on my SM1...which he did.
But dont use it...despite the size of the wing a BOC pull really isnt that hard...I'll go as far to say its 'as' easy if not easier than I experienced on my Phantom.
The good pressurisation of the wings means the wings need to be closed a fraction slower ( to squeeze the air out....but the suit has (for me) been quite stable during the deployment process...and to date I have not had a problem reaching my pud first time, everytime....no problem at all.

If you are a 'panic' puller....or do it 'too' quickly...perhaps..maybe you will have some issues...if you relax...then in my experience ..no problems.

> is it me or does it seem that every SM1 user have the same raves about the suit.....and those with all the negative shite being those who have not flown one yet..???

Is it the fastest suit out there..?
Might be ..but probably not

Is it the suit with the best glide..?
Might be with the right pilot

Is it the best flocking suit..?
Maybe...depends on what you wnat in your flocks

Is it a good allround suit...?
Hands down ..yes

Its just a great suit...its tiring, but fun to fly...
I reckon if you have summin' bad to say about the suit....at least fly it a few times before expressing that opinion...;)
I feel kinda smug listening to negative comments of those who have not flown it......because I'm having a blast flying mine.....feels like us SM1 users are ahead of the curve...the truth will out eventually ;)

I feel kinda smug listening to negative comments of those who have not flown it......

I had an observation as the wings get bigger and bigger. If you thought I was saying something against the SM1 other then using it as the example, you have a low level of tolerence. I still stand by what I said that with wing size increasing a higher level of skill is required for the suit on the ocassion that it is not going 100% right on the flight.

The SM1, being the current suit getting lots of the talk now, caused me to bring it up. That said, I am VERY happy with my Ghost but if given the opportunity I will be more then happy to take a SM1 up for a few flights. Only one I have seen (a Mach1 not a super version) in person was small on me and I did not get to jump it.. Construction looked very nice though as I would expect from Tonys shop.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I guess my spin off question is how much wing is too much for flocking if you dont need the extra surface because of your "big bones"? This question is not a knock againt the Mach 1 in any way but a real question given vocal posts from many on here about their love for the M1 or the SM1. It also introduces the question, with a wing that big, about safety. I dont think it is an unsafe suit and I nobody should take my comment as that but I always looked at the "Big Wing" suits as the arena for the very experienced wingsuit pilot. Nobody can deny the fact that adding that much surface will bring up some challanges to think about from exit to pull and even under canopy to landing, not something for a lesser experienced pilot. IMHO, Bigger suitsa re like HP canopies, they are fantastic when all goes right but the experience is for the 1% of the time that something does not go right.

Scott C.

I have a M1 (not "Super") and it is far easier to fly than my Skyflyer 1, despite its much bigger wing.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

something against the SM1 other then using it as the example, you have a low level of tolerence.
---------------------------------------------------
I think Zoter might be referring to the "gentleman" that said it looked stupid, or maybe the chap who thought his mom made it and that "fat Americans" need such suits to flock,

lets see when the next distance challenge comes by who looks stupid :)

Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

slowest decent - hips high and hug the air
fastest forward speed (which would still make you float over pretty much everything out there) - head low and shoulders rolled, your leg wing assumes the right position by themselves in this suit due to the good inflation/airlocks.
back flying - hips up and head inline with spine ie push your neck back (goes for back flying in any suit)

on this suit due to the big wings it looks like a wing can get in the way but it doesnt - cant really explain it but in quite a few jumps in this suit now not a single time has the wing gotten in the way of my hackey - its always there.
closing the leg wing for pulltime - same as with the blade takes a bit of getting used to - i would suggest pulling in full flight.

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

much surface will bring up some challanges to think about from exit to pull and even under canopy to landing, not something for a lesser experienced pilot.

Scott,

You bring up some fair questions.

I didn't buy the suit for flocking. I bought it for going fast and falling slow. I'm 5'11", 170lbs so all that wing isn't to compensate for build.

I have an Acro (that I'm keeping) which is perfect for me to flock with and to experiment with "free flocking'" (as well as solo acrobatics). Unless I'm racing, when I'm jumping with a group (of mixed experience), I'm more than likely going to stick with the Acro (which will make me evenly matched since there are 7 other Acro flyers at my DZ now).

In addition to loving the thrill of flying with other people, I'm also a numbers hound. I get a kick out of charting my progress as I train for slower fall-rates (longer flights) and faster ground speeds. I've been doing this via GPS and Paralog from before I was wingsuiting when I was focused on tracking (to prepare for wingsuiting). So to me, the Super Mach 1 is the "drag racer" in my arsenal and with the design and wing area, I expect to be setting personal records in glide ratio, ground speed, and low fall rates. I'll mostly use it for solo, performance flights.

As for safety and experience, it is a big wing and with the new airlocks, it does require additional consideration throughout the entire flight (especially at pull time). I originally learned to deploy (at my FFC taught by a PFI) by collapsing the leg wing. But I recently re-trained myself to deploy in full flight since I was potentially going to be flying with smoke at a demo (with my Acro). I've found this deployment style has helped me feel comfortable with the SM1 since that leg wing requires loins of steel (that I don't possess) to collapse.

Experience wise, in lieu of Tony Suits posting a min. flights requirement (nor has Jeff N mentioned one), I used Phoenix-Fly's 50 flight min. that they post for the V2 and the Ghost (in those suits' manuals). I have 80 wingsuit flights, 67 of those in the last 3 months. I can always dock on the base (if the flight plan calls for it), successfully perform on-heading barrel rolls and front loops, back fly solidly (out the door or transitition from belly), and have mid-size-way (10-14 ways) experience from attending Scott Campos' skills camp at Eloy. Since my FFC, I've sought out instruction from some very experienced wingsuit pilots and have been very fortunate in the mentors I've found.

I write this not to brag nor do I consider myself an "experienced" wingsuit pilot. There's nothing more annoying than a 322 jump-wonder posting on DZ.com ignoring the advice of those with much more experience and arguing as though he had some God-given talent that came with a humility waiver. I was actually trying to do this "by the book" and therefore only post my "qualifications" since they're the only list of basic abilities I've seen required to "upsize" to a high-performance wingsuit.

I'm open to correction on this though (honestly), so please set me straight if you think I'm wrong.

Blue skies,

Brian
Brian Drake

Put the first 3 flights on my SM1 this weekend (I gave in to peer-pressure and spent the rest of the weekend freeflying).

To be bluntly honest, I was a little disappointed.

I expected that with all of that wing area, I would see a significant increase in flight time and some very low fall rate numbers. But my VISO showed performance in the range I can get with my Acro. I lost my GPS later in the day on a freefly jump so I don't have data on the forward speed.

Of course, it was quite presumptuous of me to expect mastery of the suit right off the bat, especially with my low-level of experience. But I guess I hoped that even flown poorly, the gigantic, airlocked wings would provide significantly more lift than my Acro.

For me, this is a valuable lesson that it is indeed the pilot that's the most important variable (what a concept! not as though anyone's ever advised that here...).

Don't get me wrong, I'm optimistic about the suit. As I fly it more, I'll get closer and closer to the correct flight mode and I know performance will come with experience and time.

A word of warning (echoing another post), be careful where you mate the velcro on the arm break-away system. I applied the velcro too close and had a zipper malfunction on what was to be my first flight. The zipper was so stuck I had to ride the plane down and then have my rigger work his magic on extracting it. Easy problem to avoid if you're mindful.
Brian Drake