mdrejhon

5 Hertz GPS logging available! (5 plots/sec in a bluetooth puck)

Cool, i wanna know if it gives negative altitudes on landing, like the wintec does.

Probably. GPS receivers measure the height above a mathematical model of the earth (a geoid), not the actual "sea level" and those differ a bit.

My Goal with GPS logger is for analyzing High Performance Turns under canopy.

If I do a slow Front riser 180 turn under canopy, the wintec does well and the ground track on google earth is accurate.

But when i do a bigger High Performance turn, with a quick 180 finish under canopy, the wintec ground track goes off course, and gives me negative altitudes during the plane out.

I still think this one only logs @ 1 Hz. At leat I haven't seen anything that proves otherwise.

There are seveal units on the market which have a GPS core capable of 5Hz (and might aupdate and transmitt at that rate) only logging @ 1Hz.
My Logbook

Sorry in advance if I'm repeating stuff already discussed in other threads. But I've done a bit more researching and, as it turns out, the RC aircraft crowd is also wayyyyy into GPS logging their flights.

This thread was chock full of interesting info:

RC GPS Discussion

Following some leads in that thread I came across some Canmore units which caught my eye. The GT-730FL-S isn't 5Hz, but it definitely hits the mark in terms of size.

Following some leads in that thread I came across some Canmore units which caught my eye. The GT-730FL-S isn't 5Hz, but it definitely hits the mark in terms of size.

And for price as weel - $40 sounds like a bargain.

Now get one, try it and post the results!

:P

[Edit:] And try to find out what they would cost in bulk. We might need 10 in the near future...
My Logbook

A few small issues. I didn't see anywhere in the documentation where it says it logs at least 1 time a second. In the forum thread the biggest issue came to light......

"Batteries - That is an error in the manual... there is no internal battery on the Canmore unit; it can only be powered through it's USB contacts."

I don't know about anyone else, but I just haven't had the time to have that darn USB connection installed on the back of my neck yet.:PB|:D

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I went off of the Data Sheet since the manual, as you note, wasn't very informative. In that document it gives the update rate at 1Hz. I'll need to buy to verify it it, but my understanding based on the Camden site and the RC discussion board is that there are two models... the GT-730FL and the GT-730FL-S. The non-S model is a dongle that requires USB power. The S model has the internal battery see also here.

I'm willing to spend $50 in the name of science. :)

just received my Q1000eX yesterday.
Def logs at 5Hz.
One switch - 42hrs of logging.
its smaller than a credit card in length and width and about 20mm thick.

About the same size as a Neptune N3 but twice as thick.

Originally not purchased for skydiving - but will give it go when I work out a way to mount it without losing it.

If you are looking for a small 5Hz logger, the Photomate 887 (w/ BT) or Photomate 887 lite (w/o BT) are probably the smallest right now. They measure only a tiny 44x26x15 mm (l x w x h) and weigh only 18g. They have pretty much the same GPS-Specs as the 747A+, since they are also manufactured by Transystems and use the same GPS chipset (MTK2).
Only drawbacks are shorter battery life (11h), small on/off switch and you need the BT747 software (opensource) to set it to 5Hz logging, because the included software only supports logging intervals down to 1s.
I use the lite (don't need bluetooth) version and I'm very happy with it, especially since I got it very cheap (41$+shipping) from Taiwan on Ebay.

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

This is probably the Kalman-Filter set too slow. Try 'Airplane 4g'.

Been a while since I played with my Wintec 201, I had to install win7 via bootcamp on my mac to run Timemachine X to reconfig the Wintec to "Airborne 4g".

Yup the 4g Filter has worked, the track has me going thru the course and no more into the ground....

BUT not perfect, the only error now is the altitude off the ground varies from skydive to skydive, eg sometimes my swoop is 50 to 300ft off the ground in Google Earth, obviously in Paralog I right click on the graph and SET Ground Here.

Any Ideas of how to improve the altitude accuracy?

Kai