mdrejhon

5 Hertz GPS logging available! (5 plots/sec in a bluetooth puck)

I know some of you wingsuiters (I'm not yet), and trackers (which I'm trying to log now using Bluetooth GPS -- I am about to start studying my own tracks).

There is now a newer Bluetooth logger GPS unit with 5 Hz logging frequency, called the QStarz BT-Q1000:
http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%20Products/BT-Q1000.html

Quote from GPSPASSION thread showing successful 5 hertz logging capability enabled via software:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=91444

### Qstzar BT-Q1000 can log at 5Hz to internal memory ####

I had assumed that 5Hz logging was only possible by pda or PC but quite by accident I seem to have found that the BTQ1000 has the ability to internally log at 5Hz. Right now I'm looking at a log I took while going for a short motorbike ride. Once the bike gets over 30km/h (as set in the travel recorder utility) the logger has recorded 5 individual entries for every second. Essentially I can see my acceleration characteristics down to .2 seconds. The time stamps are identical however for all 5 entries. I assume that it just doesn't record the .0 .2 .4 .6 .8. When plotted the data clearly shows the acceleration and deceleration with .2 seconds resolution.

Setup

1 - Set logger to record at 5Hz using MiniGPS 1.32.

2 - Using Qstzar pc utility set logger to Advanced=>Log For Vehicle=>Log every 1 second and Log over 30km/h.

3 - Use logger as normal on a drive or roller coaster or whatever in log mode. (Ididn't have mine connected to any PC or PDA)

4 - When downloading information you must set the logger back to 1Hz otherwise there is too much live GPS data on the emulated com port over USB when downloading data from logger.

I have not yet tested this, but this looks very promising. Can one of you wingsuiters or trackers try this GPS unit out please, and see if it's "suitable" for skydiving (like the Wintec WBT-201 Bluetooth GPS logger puck works well for skydiving according to BlindBrick in this thread).

There is now a newer Bluetooth logger GPS unit with 5 Hz logging frequency, called the QStarz BT-Q1000:

Is there a price for this device? I couldn't see it anywhere. I just did my first wingsuit jumps a few weeks ago and really wanted to know how far I went. I estimated about 1.75 miles on the last jump just using a DZ photo and locals telling me their guess. I will be getting my own wingsuit in the next few months. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Is there a price for this device? I couldn't see it anywhere. I just did my first wingsuit jumps a few weeks ago and really wanted to know how far I went. I estimated about 1.75 miles on the last jump just using a DZ photo and locals telling me their guess. I will be getting my own wingsuit in the next few months. B|

Try:
http://www.buygpsnow.com/qstarz-bt-q1000-32ch-32hr-bluetooth-gps-data-logger-travel-recorder-q1000-32ch-waas-auto-on-off-free-vent-mount-865.aspx

I've gotten a couple devices from buyGPSnow and got good service and the best price I could find. They generally give you some promo stuff with your order too.

Welcome to the flock!

-Mike
Play like your life depends on it.

I stress - I haven't been able to find information about whether anybody has jumped this GPS puck yet.

I may deem myself the guinea pig, but I'd rather wait until somebody with a high number of relevant jumps with more GPS experience, try this out, to compare to their existing GPS.

As other GPS wearers attest, I like the idea to check the data post-morten: Nice to know the fallrate (more accurately than altimeter), the distance travelled, your forward speed, and be able to draw the glide slope in graph software (or even Google Earth).

I believe having 5 position measurements per second works much better than 1 position measurement per second. But I don't think anybody here has ever tried the new high-frequency-measurement GPS units for skydiving. So I think we need to check if this GPS puck is skydiving-friendly like the other GPS puck favourte, the WBT-201 (not to be confused with the Foretrex 201 wrist-mounted GPS) which is small enough to be put inside a helmet's audible pocket. I think the QStarz is slightly bigger though, but I prefer the 5Hz frequency over being able to put GPS inside a helmet's audible altimeter pocket, like you can with the new WBT-201 GPS puck...

I think anybody who tries 5Hz will be pleasantly surprised (once a skydiving friendly 5Hz GPS is found) -- high GPS sampling frequencies were formerly only available to things like military applications, such as missles...

I decided to be a guinea pig and bought the Q-Starz. I wanted a logger for a while, and the high data rate was too tempting.

I have only put a few jumps on it, but its going to be another week before I jump again so I thought I would throw up some info now.

5 Hertz logging: I did get the device to log at 5Hz. You have to use another program to set the device to 5Hz, but it does work. You must be moving above at least 10km/hr (I set to 30) to get 5Hz. There are some nice settings for controlling when logging takes place in the software.

Off-Log-Nav switch: The device has a nice slide switch with three positions, with obvious meanings. The Nav mode was disappointing in that after a certain amout of time it will go into sleep mode (no GPS fix) if it cannot find a bluetooth device to connect with. This means the setup for a jump must be: 1-2 min prior to jumprun turn from Off to Nav. At the last moment switch from Nav to Log and stow unit. GPS fix does seem to be about 30 sec cold or warm.

Size: I could just fit it in the ear opening of my protec, but it squishes my ear enough to make it annoying.

Performance: I need to do more jumps to check this out. The attached kmz shows the QStarz doing a poor job in freefall, but the canopy flight is generally pretty good, and very smooth at 5Hz. This was a tracking jump, and the QStarz has some trouble about 1/2 way through, can't fix altitude and just leaves it as it is, so I get an awesome glide ratio at about 7000AGL, then the fun's over and I drop 2000 ft in 2 seconds.

Software: The software is usable but crude. The kml export feature clamps altitude to 0 so it is worthless. All log data is exported as one file, and the csv format has some annoying features like putting the height data as "1000 m" instead of just "1000", forcing some work to strip off the " m".

The dates in the attached kmz are trashed, I have not got that converted yet.

[C/N: I wouldn't buy this yet; I may have a $100 paperweight]

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Very useful!

Doesn't sound too good, but I might be willing to buy the unit off you for car navigation if you think it's a paperweight.

In the meantime, try more jumps...

Try the following:

(1) Keep it in LOG mode to force the GPS to continuously operate. Since the data capacity is 100,000 datapoints, you would have more than 5 hours of logging capacity at 5 Hz, so you might as well keep it in continuous logging mode, dumping to a laptop during lunchtime and dinnertime.

(2) Alternatively, try to switch it to 1 Hz mode and see if the GPS functions more smoothly.

(3) Try to contact the manufacturer for upgraded firmware that can handle faster altitude changes. Ask for firmware that allows you to turn off logging but keep GPS "hot" so that GPS fix is more immediate when exiting the airplane door.

(4) I think you need at least 4 GPS satellites for altitude (instead of 3). It may be that you had 4+ satellites, then it went to 3 satellites (keeping altitude flat), then back to 4+ satellites. Try relocating the GPS to the top of your helmet (do breakaway-safe attachment such as velcro or duct tape)

It sounds like the Wintec WBT-201 Bluetooth GPS puck might be a better bet, but let's give this some more testing.... In the meantime, I sent an email to QStarz, and also posted a copy of the email at:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=91444&whichpage=6. Let's make sure they stay on top of things too.

I decided to be a guinea pig and bought the Q-Starz. I wanted a logger for a while, and the high data rate was too tempting.
[C/N: I wouldn't buy this yet; I may have a $100 paperweight]

Seth

I jut got mine the other day but haven't had a chance to jump it yet.... while rather, i did take it on a 420' base jump last night, but won't get home to dump the data till saturday when I get back to my computer...

Sunday will be the 1st time I get to take it out of a plane I think. I remain cautiously optimistic...... A quick test before leaving revealed it fit ok in the audible pocket of my Z1.... However reception is up in the air.....

I'l know more in another week how much I like mine.

_jusin

Hi, there was a reference from the gpspassion forums to here.

I just want to draw your attention to the fact that I have written an application to control the BT-Q1000 (equivalent to the iBlue 747) that is available at http://sf.net/projects/bt747 .
The same program allows to set the 5Hz and do 5Hz logging independent of speed.
But that is not all the program can do. On top of that, features could be adjusted for your needs.

The KML produced by this SW does not clamp height to 0 and it is able to correct the height to (because the one logged is height above WGS84 and not above Mean Sea Level).

As it can run on Palm and WinCE, it is possible to do some settings last minute.

I downloaded Mario's java utility, and got it to connect to the QStarz. It could be handy, and looks like it will run on a PocketPC style computer. Like Mark and he said in the other forum, it may be that logging at 2Hz provides a better fix than 5Hz.

One note, I realize now that it appears the device is always logging when on, the NAV position just enables bluetooth connection.

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I'm a bit busy right now but I will post some pictures of the unit a little later on. So far I am a bit skeptical if its as good as the WBT 201 in terms of performance.Its definately a bigger form factor than the WBT 201 and may not fit in some audible pockets/brackets without modifing them.

edit: pictures added
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Excellent information -- thanks. Sounds like the jury is still out whether WBT-201 is still superior. I look forward to all of your testing.

To the other poster -- Interesting to know that the device is always logging when turned on. So a related question is whether it has enough logging capacity to enable fire-and-forget operation at the beginning of the day. (It has more than enough capacity to log all day long at 1 Hz or 2 Hz) Some utility for splitting the separate jumps may be required...

I did a few jumps with it yesterday, mounted in my Protec earhole. Similar results to my 1st post; it works well for canopy flight, but not freefall. In freefall, recorded altitude is very erratic (my freefall speed varied from 0 to 900mph) and somtimes even VDOP and number of satellites tracked does not clue in to the validity of the data.

My next experiment is to switch back from 5 logs/sec to 1 log/sec and see what happens.

Seth

Tried the unit this weekend @ 5Hz. To summarize, I am not very impressed:

- As already mentioned by Scott, the unit is much larger than the WBT-201.
- The software that comes with the unit is even worse than TimeMachineX.
. Setup and log download only possible through USB, not trough BT.
- Aquisition seems to be faster then the WBT-201.
- On 3 jumps I could not record a single usable jump, although the unit had a fix all the way to altitude.
- The unit is not compatible with Paralog ;-)

I will give it another try @ 2Hz this weekend, maybe this yields usable logs. I am sure I will stick with the WBT-201, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wintec came out with a new unit capable of logging at higher rates in the near future. Their WBT-300 already tracks @ 4Hz (no logging, though) and the GPS module used in the WBT-201 is also capable of tracking @ 4Hz...

It might help to voice your interest for such a device to [email protected].

Klaus
My Logbook

Another unit that might be of interest is the Locosys GT11 (SIRF II) and soon GT31 (SIRF III). These units are data loggers and have navigation capabilities as well. More importantly the 1 hz logging includes the full SiRF binary 41 data set including vertical speed. This vertical speed is calculated using doppler and is far more accurate than speed calculated from the altitude.

If someone is in Melbounre Australia and wants to borrow a unit to try out, then I can spare one for you to try. I am in Edithvale.

Also a plug for my software... in reference to seeing an altitude and glide graph, my software utility can show altitude in a graph against trackpoints. As long as the trackpoints are in equal time spacing then it can be used to view your glide. The software is free to use for viewing and editing trackfiles (reads NMEA and GPX) and can be downloaded from http://www.intellimass.com/RealSpeed/Index.htm.

Great work :)
I just got my Wintec 201, and just learining the GPS lingo, Thanks to Help from Klaus / Paralog site.

There are more 5Hz devices out on the market,

http://www.semsons.com/datalogger.html

i-Blue TripMate 852 ( 5Hz, 66 ch, MTK2, 1GB MicroSD)

Keep testing and flying

Kai

If anyone is looking for an easy GPS setup they could try the following:

-GlobalSat BT-359 Bluetooth GPS Receiver for PDA/Laptops

-HP iPAQ hx4705 VGA Pocket PC

-Street Atlas 2010 (I don't use this for navigation, but rather to convert .gls files to .glx and then import into Google Earth for my jump profile including altitude.)

The above has worked flawlessly so far, and I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I have sewn a small pouch on my jumpsuit shoulder and all I do is enable bluetooth on the ground and link the antenna to my HP PDA which sits in my cargo pocket on my thigh.
The nice thing is that once they've been linked, the Street Atlas program continues to keep logging every second and stores up to 12 hours of logging on a 4GB CF card in the PDA slot. The battery for the antenna is good for 11 hours, the PDA for about 3. So I have no issues, I just link, jump and download. At the end of the day I take all the logs and import to Street Atlass and convert to .glx for Google Earth, or keep on Street Atlas and look at track over ground. With Google Earth I get a very nice 3D rendering of the jump.
The antenna is really quite good, I can enable the bluetooth link and get satellites while sitting twenty feet away from the nearest window at work. It doesn't even hiccup in the aircraft, even if I'm sitting in the middle of the fuselage on the floor.
Hope this gives anyone with an old bluetooth enabled HP Ipaq an idea for a GPS logger.
Please keep in mind that I'm not a wingsuit flier, and I can't really comment on how this would work in that scenario. I would think it would be useful, but I don't know how the antenna would work in a reduced vertical descent.
I know it would be nice to have it update faster than once a second, but that is all it is capable of. It currently logs at 1/4/8 second intervals (user determined).

I prefer MTKII based loggers.

i-Blue 747A+ Bluetooth GPS Logger, 66 channels, AGPS

i-Blue 747A+ Bluetooth GPS Trip Recorder

all-in-one: Bluetooth GPS Data Logger + Bluetooth GPS Receiver + USB (cable) GPS Receiver + Photo Tagger

the highest sensitivity (-165dBm), 66 channels, AGPS support, 32 Mb flash memory for 125,000 way points record, works even indoor

configurable update rate 1 - 5 Hz, Push-to-log button for manual POI (point of interest) record
The MTK chipset has very low energy consumption. This property together with the manufacturers patented Smart Power Saving Function allows 32 hrs continuous operation on one single charge.

Qstarz BT-Q1000X Bluetooth GPS Data Logger -66 Channels

Hardware:

· Adopt MTK II latest chipset with high sensitivity -165dBm and 66-Channel tracking

· Ultra lower power consumption up to 42hrs operation

· Less than 15-Sec. AGPS fix support: download almanac data to realize faster TTFF and positioning under warm start

· Stand-Alone travel recorder to log up to 200,000 records (*)

· Easily switch Travel Recorder to LOG mode or NAV mode (Navigation + Log)

· Support button push manually to memorize your location immediately

· Update Rate 1~5Hz changeable by utility provided

· G-Mouse + Bluetooth in one: wired and wireless GPS receiver

· Fast Position Fix ,Cold start 35s, Warm start 33s,Hot start 1s

· Auto On-Off function for smart power control

· Personal/Portable Navigation (PDA, Smartphone, PC, etc.)

· QZSS, DGPS (WAAS+EGNOS+MSAS) support

Just read about the introduction of the Qstarz BT-Q1000eX, a 'true' 5Hz logger!

Got the unit on Monday. It is logging fine @ 5Hz, writing 5 datums to it's internal memory every second by the flick of a switch and works out of the box with Paralog! :)
The only drawbacks are that it's about twice the thickness and twice the price of the Wintec. :(

Flight tests this weekend...

Klaus
My Logbook

The only drawbacks are that it's about twice the thickness and twice the price of the Wintec.

Price aside, do you think it will fit in the bracket you mounted on the back of your helmet even though it is thicker?

Here's to hoping that this 5Hertz logger works in the skydiving environment.:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING