kallend

Instructors

I guess another question that came to me was the currency issue. Someone is allowed to purchase a suit without instruction if they have 500 jumps or more. What if that person has made those 500 jumps over the course of 15 years? What if the person has made 5 jumps in the season so far and wants to give WS a try? Does the manufacturer say well even though you have 500 jumps due to your currency we won't sell you one? Or what if that person with 500 jumps decided that he wanted to swoop and 300 of those are hop and pop's? How are jump numbers enough to make a policy regarding the first time use of a WS?
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

500 jumps is a rough guideline...just as its possible to have 1000 jumps in 1 year just swooping, and not actually having freefall experience...too many variables..

There is also such a thing a common sense...

Sadly, low experience (remembering myself) usually means a less honest and true view on your own actual skills and awareness..

Low jumpnumbers...low experience....wingsuits....(especialy without proper instruction...stupid!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Chris,

I only ask this to you as you're the only person i know of thats gone through it.

Can you give me the details of the Tony Suits Instructor course?

What were the requirements? What did you have to do? What did you learn? Is there any supporting educational material provided with the course? Where was in conducted? How long did it take? Was there a cost involved? Who was it with? etc.

I know about the BMI and PFI course, and I'm interested in how Tony is conducting his.

Thanks.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Zeemax:

The Tony Suits Instructor's Course has yet been fully offered as a formal program. Both Chris and I have had to go through more of an appreniship since February. We have gotten more than 40 - 50 hours of detailed hands one instruction and education over that time, side-by-side with both Jeff and Tony. In that time we were educated in the aspects of all of the versions of Tony's designs, why certian design feathers were introduced, the flight characteristics and so on. We have also demonstrated to both Jeff and Tony our flying abilities of the course of several months and some 5 boogies, where we directly assisted in ground courses and eventually in air instruction, all supervised and evaluated. I am familar with the PFI and BMI courses, while I would say the BMI is more formal, the amount of time, education and total assessment time/value we have gone through has been significant. In addition, not own was our instructional abilities directly evaluated (multiple times), both Chris and I have significant teaching and coaching exprience in other venues.

As a side note - our approach is to safely exposed new flyers to wing suit flight. To date we have not made a single dollar from these efforts and have covered our own travel costs to the many events.

I know Jeff is working on a formal Tony Suits rating course, I'm sure more on this is to follow once is cross country tour is complete.
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

Actually, to me the ground portion of wingsuit instruction alone can provide many benefits.

Here's an opinion from someone who just started jumping wingsuits:

The first jump course is extremely important.

I was really surprised at the structure and depth of what was taught. It wasn't two "good ole boys" who got together and shared some basic knowledge. It reminded me very much of my first AFF jump training. I've actually stood in the back ground and watched the instruction two more times after.

What I learned was what to do to be safe, how to deploy properly, how to exit without becoming a bug on the tail wing, different positions to place my body in to counteract being unstable, how to stop a flat spin, how to flip back over if I end up on my back (which happens if you leave a half second late and Ryan Scarlett is following you out the door), and a host of other information. Chuck flew upside down and took video of my flight and debriefed me after.

The problem with not having a standard instruction course is that people teach people different ways according to their own abilities. Bad habits are taught over and over again, as well as the good ones.

Courses should be standardized, and courses need instructors who can teach the basics according to those standards.

When someone is teaching me how to survive, it's nice to know they know what the fck they're talking about. An instructor rating should mean just that.

actually we are still working out the details of our W.S.I. program more time is needed just because of my busy schedual. I am training insrtuctors personally. In the past 18 months i have taken just under 400 students on their first flight coarse. So I have gained alot of experience as an instructor. This is what has delayed this program the more students I jump with the more refined this program will be. I have studied the BMI coarse and will apply some of what is taught to the WSI program. This as you may have noticed is not a tonysuit intructor program but a wingsuit instructor program, and is to be used to teach people to fly any brand of wingsuit. I have personaly witnessed both the BMI coarse and PFI coarse being taught and both need work this is were the WSI program will fit in. The plan is for this to be a standard if you have a bmi or pfi that you earned it will be honered but you still need to take a coarse with myself to be wsi rated. Right now their are less than 10 WSI's out there. Every one has had extensive training. No ratings are handed out like with alot of bmi and pfi ratings. You can't get this rating by giving someone head sorry:ph34r:

BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

I have personaly witnessed both the BMI coarse and PFI coarse being taught and both need work this is were the WSI program will fit in. The plan is for this to be a standard if you have a bmi or pfi that you earned it will be honered but you still need to take a coarse with myself to be wsi rated.

somebody is feeling pretty good about himself

We talked about some of the stupid things we say on DZ.com ......................................Jeff that was one of them

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

you still need to take a coarse with myself to be wsi rated. Right now their are less than 10 WSI's out there. Every one has had extensive training. No ratings are handed out like with alot of bmi and pfi ratings. You can't get this rating by giving someone head sorry:ph34r:

Jeff please tell my you are dipping into my unattended dime bag of sarcasm.

If not I'm going to have to declare you are bunking way too close to the monkey-bago and have received a large stray dose of flux from the skymonkey perception vortex generator, for which my friend,..... there is no cure.