kaat

African Freefall Convention

Who has vague plans to go to the African Freefall Convention? And who are definately going (meaning already booked a flight)?

http://www.africanfreefall.com/

Sounds really nice.
How it the weather there in December? Temparatures etc....?

I feel like a kid in a candy store.... wingsuiting out of a Herc. :P
Blue skies & long flights,
Karin - ©The Pink Bird

Vague plans. Quite vague.

Will the Herc be there all days? Are jump prices from the Herc indeed the same as from the other planes? What travel documentation might one need to visit SA? Will my family be able to survive New Year's Day without me? Will my inheritance?

And, excuse my cynicism, does confirmed mean the Herc will really be there? Was it there last time?

EDIT: saly says the organisers say it was there last year. That's a good start. Has anyone actually seen it?
Johan.
I am. I think.

Hi Kaat,

Good meeting you at the Boogie!

The AFFC has run for 2 years now.

Dec 2005 was a little disapointing as the advertised AN-26 was a no show, and so we were forced to settle with a Turbine DC-3, a Pilatus PC-6 Porter and a King Air B-90.

Last year, Dec 2006, the main aircraft were a PAC 750, and the C-130 Hurcules did make it's appearance for a few loads before it was retired due to mechanical issues. (Much like the AN-72 was)

The story behind the airfeild is very similar to Cochstedt. A 5 km long runway, an international airport, a disused former military base... and nothing but skydivers once a year.

The weather that time of year is hot, in the 30 - 35 Deg C range, and winds can be as high as 10 - 15 but are seldom stronger than that. There is a possibility of thunderstorms in the afternoon and evening, but we tend to jump around them all summer at every DZ here.

Accomodation can be arranged at the Tusk hotel in Mafikeng, some 20 min from the airport. It is a 4 star hotel, and accomodation will be similar pricing to the Big Moon in Ashesleben (+- 45 Euros per night, breakfast included)

Not sure of jump pricing, but I'm guessing it will be around 22 Euros to an altitude of 13000ft. The DZ is 3500ft AMSL, so hypoxia can be an issue in slower climbing aircraft.

I should be able to post a pic of last year's herc to this thread tomorrow if the organiser sends me one. Only catch with the Hurc is that it's military, and if there's a war during the boogie they will want it back.:P They always supply a letter of confirmation baring "operational nessesity" or words to that effect.

Both Taya and I plan to be there this year, as will many of the local birds you met at the AN-72 Boogie.

t

It's the year of the Pig.

While you're thinking about it, ask T any questions you may have. She's spent as much time there as I have. The venue was once very popular with the Swiss Boogie in the late 1980's, and the C-130 was there from 1987 - 1991. An AN-26 was there in 92, and then with the changes in South Africa the boogie fell by the wayside until the organiser resurected it at the same venue.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Registration is now open with 150 people registered so far. Most of the active South African Birds will be there.

http://www.africanfreefall.com/

The aircraft that are confirmed are

PAC 750 XL
Porter PC6
King Air (Standby lift capacity)
C130 Herc for 12 loads over 4 days with a back up in case of abreakdown.

This can be a cheap holiday for you Northern folk in your mid winter with your favourable exchange rate.

Lets see if we can do the record from the Herc!

---------------------------------------------
If you don't have wings you will never fly

If I could take the time from work and swing the cash I would be there.

Do some cloud surfing for me.
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

Hey Alex, I would be great if you guys could make it, but be warned that it may be scary being able to see the ground all the way from exit;)

That is way to scary for me! Actually see the ground???
That will be my cue to drop out.... sorry :P
No... I think I have to agree with Jarno about the lotery ticket. Can't find the funds right now to go.... [:/]

Blue skies & long flights,
Karin - ©The Pink Bird

Still planning and deciding, there is a chance we can go there all three of us from Latvia (Lettland) :)
Are there any pictures from last year event? Couldn't find anywhere. Thanks.
The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness
http://adventure.lv/

That great news to hear that your team is considering coming out to SA.

Kaspars the website link is posted on this thread. No photo gallery as far as I know.

How is your team members arm healing?

We'll decide in nearest months. I have never been to another continent, so this could be great adventure and fun. Daiga is healing veeery fast, even doctors are surprised, that is why we are looking for a boogie to participate, she can't wait to fly again and not just in circles :))) (c) Mark Harris :)
The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness
http://adventure.lv/

AFFC is a must in your diary, hope we see you guys.

There are also plenty of game parks and sights to see. i.e. real lions and elephants on top of skydiving. Make a trip of it.

Great news about Daiga.