bdrake529

Smoke and wingsuits

I know Scott has an exhaustive chapter on this in his book, but unfortunately I have lent my copy out.

The 4th of July is coming up and for my home DZ's yearly demo, I want to incorporate wingsuits. The finale has always been a gigantic American flag trailing from a tandem and this year I'd like to spice it up with 3 wingsuits "swooping" the flag. We'd exit after the flag and maintain a tight flock as we sped towards it. Then at the last second, we would peel off left, right, and below (respectively).

To make this more visible (and themed) I was hoping to have each of the wingsuit trailing smoke. Red, white, and blue (respectively).

So the first question: Where do I get red and blue smoke? Paragear only offers white, violet, and yellow. I have contacted a few other people regarding this, but have yet to receive a solution. Any ideas? The smoke has to be shipped to Southern California in time for the 4th.

Next question (which I'm sure is addressed in Scott's book): How do I jump smoke with a wingsuit without destroying my suit, canopy, and container?

My rigger is convinced that jumping smoke means destruction of all gear involved. Not only has he torched his own gear doing RW demos, but a jumper at our DZ ruined a fairly new Vampire.

But I've seen tons of video of wingsuiters with smoke and I have to hope that not all of them had to trash their suits afterwards. So there must be a right way to do this.

One tip I've been told is not to bend the knees on deployment (like I normally do), but to keep the legs straight, only collapsing the leg wing spanwise. Is this right? How do I prevent pitching head-low (which then puts my d-bag in smoke-harm's way)?

Any info that can help me jump the demo as I've planned without destroying my gear is greatly appreciated.

Brian
Brian Drake

I've only buzzed one canopy, so I'm not an expert, but flying under the flag sounds like a bad idea to me, for the sole reason that it means you will not have visual on it as you are going past it.

Does not sound right to me at all.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'd be leary about going underneath as well. If you do that, be careful. If you kill yourself, every wingsuiter in the country is going to take shit every time they put on a suit, so please, think of us :P Also, make sure you get a foot bracket that holds the smoke off your leg. I've burned holes in a V1 with smoke directly attached to my foot. With a stand off bracket, I've never had a problem.

Also, keep in mind that one minute smoke will be out early if you do a jump from full alt, while 2 minute smoke actually last more like 4 minutes, so you have to watch it under canopy and especially after landing.

Make sure you do a practice run. Best to do a jump without the smoke, just practicing the buzz, then do a smoke jump without the buzz, then put the 2 together, then do the actual jump.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

I've only buzzed one canopy, so I'm not an expert, but flying under the flag sounds like a bad idea to me, for the sole reason that it means you will not have visual on it as you are going past it.

Does not sound right to me at all.

If you already make your setup below the level of the canopy/flag, there is NO WAY you're going to climb back up to that level again.
Unless your head is bolted onto your shoulders, keeping an eye on a passing canopy (especialy given the size of the flag) should not be a problem. Its possible to look in other directions then just the one in which you're flying..B|

Definately not a stunt you want to try without having practiced both the formation flying/setup and are an expert at judging the height/distance.

This would not have to be done on level, or even that close, since its a show for people on the ground.

They wont see if you're 3 meters high or low.

So with some practice and good planning, Id say (with experienced pilots) it'd be perfectly do-able..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I won't be the one going underneath. That role will be assigned to the most experienced wingsuit pilot of the group. He's a BASE jumper (lots of proximity flying with wingsuits) and buzzes canopies all the time. But thanks for the cautioning.

If i remember correctly, Scott's book recommends the Jim Wallace smoke brackets, which do keep the smoke off the foot.

The demo usually puts jumpers out at 7,000 ft. agl. So the 1 minute smoke is probably more suited for this.
Brian Drake

One tip I've been told is not to bend the knees on deployment (like I normally do), but to keep the legs straight, only collapsing the leg wing spanwise. Is this right? How do I prevent pitching head-low (which then puts my d-bag in smoke-harm's way)?

Brian

It is possible to fly perfectly horizontal or even headhigh with the arm wings collapsed and the leg wing fully open, even on a big suit.

Kris.

Hey Bri:

I have jumped smoke a few times. I also spoke with Scott C. about it. He referred me to Jim Wallace. I purchased a left foot smoke bracket from him (if I recall for around $75). It is less bulky than the regular demo smoke bracket (of which I have one). It does keep the smoke slightly away from the leg. The cut away is a bungy cord which makes it tough to cut away the smoke while the leg wing is in place, as you have to route the cord under the bootie.

In terms of smoke - there is smoke from paragear, but it is very weak and can not be seen in freefall in an RW formation. I have had several people say they could not see it (either from the gorund or in the formation). Its a little more visable given the wing suit. It does get a little warm, but not bad. If you switch to military smoke (if you can get it) it is MUCH more visable but burns much hotter and throws off chemicals and in some cases heavy metals (depending on the mixture). EPA does not favor these.

There is a company that will be coming out with military style smoke with a cold burn mixture, but they have not got their production line working yet. Last I spoke to them, they said next 30 days.

Speaking with Jim, there is a marine smoke bomb that will work, but you have to replace and use larger metal clamps on his smoke bracket. Like burns hotter than the paragear smoke, but Jim says its not an issue.

Deployment - this is the main reason I went with the left side bracket. To get a little extra room for error. Calapse the leg wing, push head high, and when you feel positive downward sink pitch vigorusly. Should not be a problem.

AGREED with previous comments. Do several dryruns. Get some video of the deployment and make adjustments as needed.
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com