peachsouthern

Helmets

So I'm all excited cause I'm buying my equipment now. I have my jumpsuit, alti, possible rig, but the question is what kind of helmet.
So want to know any suggestions as far as open face or closed helemts?

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

I've got both. I use the open face during the summer on solos. I use my full face during the cold and when doing RW. I got kicked in the face one time and it won't fun.

But I absolutely love my full face helmet (regular Oxygn). Now when leaving the plane, the wind noise is way down and I feel like I'm my own personal aircraft. The down side is that it can get really warm in there.

Hope that helps a little. :)
Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

I suppose freefly is not your option... For RW I really prefer a full face helmet with flip-up lens (personally I have a Z1). Reasons?

* Full face protection from collisions
* Less noise so better audibility for the audibles
* With the flip-up you can still feel the air under canopy
* With the flip-up it will be very difficult to fog if you close it after the door opens
* With the flip-up it doesn't get so hot in summer

Whatever you choose, enjoy!!!

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Full face or open face... My choice is open face for all my skydives. My reasons - I like the wind in my face, I can hear and give an exit count in an open face and I'm a tad claustrophobic in a full face.

Try before you buy! You've already been jumping open faced helmets, now borrow a full face from a friend or demo one from a gear store and jump it a few times.

Whichever you choose, try on different brands before buying. Every helmet manufacturer has their own sizing chart (Z1's run smaller than Oxygn's for example), and different head/face shapes will fit different brands better.

Whichever you choose, try on different brands before buying.

I want to make sure that this point is driven home! Just because you wear a 7 hat size, doesn't mean that the helmet while fit you if its supposed to fit that size. I have a big face and a big noggen, actually, so most full-faces don't fit me well, at all, even though their websites say they should.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Kiss Passes, huh? Haven't tried that yet. Guess you couldn't get the full affect with a full face.
I haven't really decided on a style yet as far as freefly or RW, but the collision part does make a lot of sense. But SKybytch made a good point too. I love the wind in my face!!! Decisions, decisions!!![:/]

Thanks so much guys. Guess I'm going to have to think on this one a little

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

I have four helmets.
  • Full face - for Team RW-4 jumps. No need for wind in my face rather protection from feet in the face.
  • Frap hat - for fun jumps.. Wind in the face is fun.
  • Pro-Tec - for CRW jumps. Need to have the ears free so I can communicate under canopy.
  • Camera Helmet - Dunno what this is for ;)

If you are undecided, buy a pro-tec. It's cheap. You can always use it for CRW later.

I agree with buying a protec if you don't know what you want. I bought one and used it till I decided to buy a Z1 and haven't touched it since. No reason to rush into spending so much on a helmet when you're not sure what you'd like. Stick with something cheap, and you'll probably have some opportunities to try out other helmets.

The only reason I can think of to go ahead and buy a full face right away is for winter jumping. That's why I bought mine when I did.

One thing to watch out for with full face helmets... I can't see my handles with my helmet on. Had to change my emergency procedures when I got it, and I check my chest strap before putting the helmet on.

Dave