Tornolf

V2 max glide body position

I'm 6'0, 130lbs with long legs.

Curious as to what everybody else is doing. I started out doing the straight legs, flat, slightly head low style that is in the PF manual and I sucked at it. fallrate in low 50s, was hauling ass forward but nowhere near 100mph. I talked to a certain helpful Russian who suggested basically the way I always flew my Skyflyer1 for max glide: ass up, knees bent, slight de-arch, arms slightly cupped. In skydiving this is giving me about 42-44mph fallrate with 85-90mph forward speed. Exit weight is somewhere around 150lbs. The horizontal speed is averaged over several jumps with NO/LITTLE WIND from exit to opening. I got lucky with a couple days where it was light and variable from ground to 6k and took advantage of it. Horizontal speeds are calculated from exit location, flying straight back, and opening at where the pilot has his GPS zeroed. He ran jumprun in all directions for me.

I've been experimenting some and using more advice to increase forward speed and I can tell it's slowing me down vertically. It feels like when I change from speed position (first style I described), to the other one, I can feel myself being sucked up from above, mainly pulling from my lower back to hips, and not losing any forward speed. I know this is actually the air being cupped from below me but let me feel like a hippy about it :PFrom there I increase forward speed by tipping slightly lower or pushing with hips/legs a little, but not too much that I lose the fallrate I have. dunno, hard to explain.

Mainly I want to know how other poeple are flying theirs.

btw, these jumps are with me being extremely uncurrent in wingsuit flying. not to mention that if I do this from 13k my arms are totally shot by 5k and I just give up trying to maintain a fallrate. Still get 3min/5miles pulling at 2k though (with wind):)
and please don't turn this into brand war bullshit. I care about how people are flying their V2s and similar (V1 and protos) and no other wingsuit. I do not care about how anything else flies or I'd start a different thread.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

I'm 6'0, 130lbs with long legs.

Go fuck yourself.

ass up, knees bent, slight de-arch, arms slightly cupped.

OK, I know exactly what you are saying, because I feel the same thing in mine. I find that arm position is really important in the V2. With the V1, I just pulled out on the arms and that was that. With the 2, I try to let there be some spanwise arch in the trailing edge of the arm wing. This seems to relieve armwing pressure a little and increase the lift I get off the top half of the suit, which allows me to get my legs out more. The 2 seems like a it demands a more precise body position than the V1, but rewards with more performance.

I care about how people are flying their V2s and similar (V1 and protos)

The V1 and V2 are really different suits. Don't try to fly the V2 like it's a V1.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

btw, these jumps are with me being extremely uncurrent in wingsuit flying.

How other people fly the suit may not be relevant or translate to what works for you, especially since alot of people are not shaped like you.

The only thing you need to do to improve is jump more. This is not plug and play, it's a finesse that has to be learned through practice.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

For me the V1 gave best results when the armwing span was cut like the guy in the picture in the performance flying article.

Anyhow, IMO, the Vampire arm wings must be held in such a way that the end of the arm wing forms a tube.

There is a reason for why the wings are attached the way they are...let the trailing edge form by itself.

Tony,

If I get to do 5 jumps in the new V2 this weekend, I will try to better that 2.14 L/D that Tornolf is getting. I am nearly 35-40 lbs heavier out the door than he is for less than two inches of extra height. Also flying a big rig 176R and Sabre2 170.

I have done one wingsuit jump in a borrowed phantom since March this year.

We can see how important Currency is once someone knows how to fly for for glide.

Kris.

Go fuck yourself.

Go on a diet! :D

OK, I know exactly what you are saying, because I feel the same thing in mine. I find that arm position is really important in the V2. With the V1, I just pulled out on the arms and that was that. With the 2, I try to let there be some spanwise arch in the trailing edge of the arm wing. This seems to relieve armwing pressure a little and increase the lift I get off the top half of the suit, which allows me to get my legs out more. The 2 seems like a it demands a more precise body position than the V1, but rewards with more performance.

This is what I was wondering. Thanks.

The V1 and V2 are really different suits. Don't try to fly the V2 like it's a V1.

Never flew a V1. Thanks for the tip. I was just guessing they were similar.
-TJ

How other people fly the suit may not be relevant or translate to what works for you, especially since alot of people are not shaped like you.

The only thing you need to do to improve is jump more. This is not plug and play, it's a finesse that has to be learned through practice.

Too bad I have a hell of a lot more fun for less money jumping from 250ft than from 12500 :P I get your point though, I'm mainly just looking for tips. For example, the guy who advised me to try this is nowhere near my body type, but it's worked fantastically and he flies in a similar way.
-TJ

Anyhow, IMO, the Vampire arm wings must be held in such a way that the end of the arm wing forms a tube.

There is a reason for why the wings are attached the way they are...let the trailing edge form by itself.

You mean like bladders on performance kites? Hmmm... I'm designing and building some high performance kites right now...
-TJ

I have observed 2 guys of similar shape using different flying styles. Robi confirmed my observations that his style is different from James' but gave no reason, other than each person does what works for them. So for myself I now plan on averaging their styles as my plan of action. Guess it's kinda like off-road motorcycling techniques...a bit of an art, but that's way off-topic so nevermind.;)

"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

***For me the V1 gave best results when the armwing span was cut like the guy in the picture in the performance flying article.

I'm not sure what you mean here Kris. I know I tend to try to overpower the V-2 by stretching it out, Tony seems to think I fly head low too. Which performance article are you referring to? With the right skills I should be able to nearly match Tony's performance but I'll have to work at it. (me 5'-8"/165 lbs vs. Tony at 6'-2"/ 175 lbs) Right now I'm working on the wings and torso, the legs seem pretty natural.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

The performance flying article on the PF website. Also look at Robi flying close to the wall in FTL, camera mounted on hip looking forward, there is a good view of the arm wing.

Start by stretching out the wing lightly during flight and then cut back by rotating the part below the elbow and bringing it in just a little. The wing tip gripper should be vertical.

Kris.

Paul, I thought I told you my kung-fu is better than yours! :D:P It's all about how many other things you can cutaway :D. Now Jim, not so sure there...you guys have a nice wingsuit weekend out there.

you guys have a nice wingsuit weekend out there.

Are you serious, I woke this morning to a marine layer and a forcast of inccreasing showers/rain as the day goes.... But it is forcast to be sunny on Tues and Wed... :S

Scot C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"