Tony-tonysuits

New backfly leg

It looks like they could push the leg stance a bit wider...but that's about it.

the planform of our new mach 1 is the same as our old Mach 1. The "Super Mach 1" leg stance is slightly narrower but longer. I have explored the wider leg wing, 60 inches, it was crazy. I realized just like flying head down the wider the leg stance the more drag you have even though you have more surface area it slows forward speed.

I'm confused now. What was it that I ordered? M1, M1a, OM1, NM1, M2, SM1?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You ordered a Mach 1, and I am getting confused also so you are not alone. Soon we will have 111 suits to choose from. ;). (A.D.D.) And I will be bringing a pack mule with me to haul them. I think I'm an inch shorter from carrying over 100lbs. of wingsuits everywhere I go.

BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

I managed to get 3 flights on my 'new' Mach1 yesterday so thought I'd post my first impressions.

Rigging is a cinch....it takes less than a minute to get the suit rigged on your rig.
Gearing up is also alot simpler than I have had with other suits....it can be worn on the arms and simply stepped into...and zipped up before getting on the aircraft...limited waddling !!

I had very stable exits...no dramas....and got alot of lift right out of the door ( as soon as wings were spread).
I found the suit pressurised super quick and only noticed/heard a bit of a tail flap on the third flight where I expect I was getting tired and not flying witha wide stance....even with bent knees the wing stayed fully pressurised.
In a straight line the suit felt very stable...no problems at all.
In turns I experienced some 'twitchiness' that needed to be controlled....it did get easier the more time I had in the air.
This suit ( despite the claims from non users) is not just a 'floaty' suit....I freakin nearly shat my pants with the forward speeds I was getting....I only did one flight with another guy in an S3 and simply couldnt slow myself down enough without pretty much shutting down the wings...
Each flight I got out farther and farther from the DZ and had absolutely no problems getting back at all...it was a high upper wind day yesterday...but even so...the forward speed felt...very quick
Difficult to say with only 1 flight with another for reference but I also felt the suit had alot of 'pop'/float before it stalled ...using the wing grippers felt intuitive and there was alot of feedback from the arm wing as to what it was doing, when the arm wing angle was changed using the grippers.

Very easy to fly 'dirty'...ie when it got too tiring to fly hard....the suit almost flys itself when you just relax your arms and bend your legs a bit for a rest.

First flight with alot of practice pulls av fall rate was 75mph....second jump 46mph...third jump 54mph (I was getting tired)
Deployment...much easier than I was expecting ( I was using the BOC)... for sure the wing was there ....but it wasnt hard to reach over/around it for the pull.....no problems at all.....
new to me was squeezing the air out of the arm and leg wings....it does add a fraction of time to the pull sequence if you shut the wings down before deployment.

Getting out of the suit after deployment was a little fiddly, but something practice will improve I'm sure...

Bad bits ??
I had a zipper mal on the second jump...it stuck and I just couldnt budge it....the velcro wing cutaway took more force to do than it did on the ground with a practice...I'm pretty sure the zip caught because I mated the velcro cutaway strip too close to the zipper line...take care on yours.
But...the velcro release system works...

One of the foam wing leading edge inserts fellout after I had unzipped the wing after deployment....I took the other one out to maintain symmetry for the next flight with no apparant looss of performance/handling.....very simple to replace sbut I will 'sew ' it in place so it stays where it should.

Not surprisingly with the amount of wing this is physically , a demanding suit to fly 'hard' for any length of time....my arms /chest/back = very tired today.
I have not jumped a suit for a couple of weeks so I dont think that helped....I'm sure currency on it will make it much easier to fly harder for longer

Summary....
It does what it says on the tin...to me it seems a very fast suit, lots of forward speed and vertical speed range.
Stable straight, but a little twitchy in the turns ( that may well be my inexperience with big wings)

I'm looking forward to spending a few more jumps getting myself used to the suit before taking it into the flock.

Great suit...very impressed Tony
(even if its hurting to type with these sore arms !!)

I flew a Mach 1 for most of the Skyfest Boogie compliments to Tony & Jeff. I flew it on jumps ranging from taking students on FFC jumps to flocks (slow & fast) to cross-country distance flights. The suit is absolutely badass!! Mega range, great for flocking and if you want max ground speed it will flat out haul ass. After the flocking dives broke off I was either off to the races with the Vampire & Mach 1 pilots or floating the suit and watch the flock fall out of the sky. I would put it up against anything currently available and it would win.

Also as previously said the new cut-away and the zipper placement makes it the easiest suit period. Brilliant design!

Like Tony said, "Once you go Mach, You never go back".
WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

You ordered a Mach 1, and I am getting confused also so you are not alone. Soon we will have 111 suits to choose from. ;). (A.D.D.) And I will be bringing a pack mule with me to haul them. I think I'm an inch shorter from carrying over 100lbs. of wingsuits everywhere I go.

3 jumps on the new suit Sunday. 2min 21sec from 13.5k on the 2nd jump!

I think I need to work some on my arm strength.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

i agree w/ chris. though i'm new to wing suits the inflated wings on tonys modified m1 is one a very stable platform for flying, two easier transitions, and three high amounts of range. maybe thats just me but i'm thinking of calling back my order on a acro. oh yeah i got to fly the orange m1 and the longer leg wing is much faster than the black and pink.
i would if i could but i can't so i won't. or i might.

i got to fly the orange m1 and the longer leg wing is much faster than the black and pink.

the orange Mk 1 is "semi" super, it has a 2" longer leg wing, but standard arm's,
the black and pink one is a regular Mach 1,
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

This thread has gotten quite long and it's become a bit difficult to determine the exact status of the Mach One. Here's my attempt to summarize which is submitted for correction or confirmation.

Improved, standard Mach One
-formed leading edges
-new cutaway system (busting out of arms?)
-new airlocked inlets
-velcroless leg zip pull ups
-shoulder zips to attach wings (instead of hip zips)
-base of the arm wing is sewed to the leg
-throat to toe body zips

Super Mach One
-everything on the improved Mach One
-4" longer arm wing at the root, the arm is also swept back a little more
-4" longer leg wing, narrower leg stance

Or have I become confused and there is now only one Mach One version, which has been referred to alternately as "Super", "New", or "Improved"?

If there is a "Super" version, is there an additional cost?

I'm also confused because this past weekend at Taft, Red Andy (Tompkins) let me fly the "improved standard" Mach One (completely red suit) and though it had the new leg inlets, it didn't have any of the other improvements listed here (leading edge, new cutaway sytem, new zippers, etc...).

I'm hoping to place an order this Saturday and just want to make sure of what I'm ordering so I get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Drake

:-) ok, I changed the leg inlet and went front and back with it, some suits were made the "old way with these inlets, THEN I did it with the new zips on the bod and the arm attach,
all the suits have these inlets and zippers, the Mach 1 is our fastest model and new wing's are being tested, the new inlets allow us to do things we couldnt do before because of flapage,
hey!!! i'm not into landing it,
I wanna take off in one, launch me like a model airplane[:):P

Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

Yes, but not new skydiving students. They were new wingsuit students. Both guys I taught had 400-500 jumps and took to flying immediately. Once I knew they were stable and heads-up they joined in on some small flocking dives.

I would like to see more skills progression and training after someone passes their FFC jump. I see too often that a new wingsuit pilot is sent off on his/her own immediately after their first flight without any further info or training. By getting them into some small flocking dives we can get them more interested in wingsuiting and improve their skills more quickly.
WSI-6 / PFI-55

You're taking students on FFC's??

macca
it was under direct supervision of other PFI's and TFI's.

;)

but i see they brain washed you well over there...

Chris knows more and flies better than some BMI's & PFI's I know.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

i know he has his rating. it's usually I's (mostly bmi's) who are more gung-ho about others having one too.

If you knew, why did you say something?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I flew Jeff's Super Mach 1 prototype on Saturday.

Wow! The wings are massive! When I initially suited up, I had a few moments of doubt anticipating interference at pull time. But a couple practice touches on the first jump allayed my fears. The wings are there, but it's not hard to adjust and get a clean pull.

With only two jumps on it, I certainly didn't dial-in the most efficient body position, but never found the suit unstable or difficult to fly. My performance was quite varied as I was constantly adjusting to find the sweet spot. But even then, flying with a 90° crosswind, GPS data shows that I sustained over 120 mph ground-speed (peaking at 130 mph) and briefly got down to a 27 mph fall-rate (different part of the jump). I'm floored by the possibilities of this suit and eagerly look forward to when my skill begins to reach the level where I'm utilizing the suit more to its potential.

Of course I placed an order immediately.

Now the cruel waiting game.... (which is really a joke considering Tony's lighting-fast order fulfill times)
Brian Drake

That is awesome.

I am also impressed by the SM1 and I currently have one on order. The suit is the cutting edge design in the wingsuit market at this time. Jeff & Tony have done more for the advancement of wingsuit design in the last 12 month than has occurred by anyone else in the last 3+ years. Congrats to them and keep up the good work.

This can only mean fiercer competition between the wingsuit manufacturers and us the consumers are the ones who benefit from it.

Cheerio, Chris
WSI-6 / PFI-55

Yes its true. I am actually flying the first prototype of a new suit that is even bigger than the super mach 1. It is insane. This weekend i got 191 seconds and surfed the most amazing cloud of my life. thats 3 minutes and 11 seconds. i was so tired i missed my hackey on the first attempt. :)

Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits