BlindBrick

Getting the most out of a Wintec WBT-201

Just got in a 201 as my first GPS. I've got it and a Palm Tungsten E2 running Paralog.
The documentation with both the 201 and Paralog C are less than stellar, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers for getting the most out of my gear?

I've managed to add the 201 to my E2's bluetooth trusted list, but since the 201's bluetooth manual is written for the Window Mobile OS, I'm pretty clueless after that.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Blind,

'Paralog Companion' (the version of Paralog running on a Palm) does not support reading/importing GPS data.

Or are you referring to 'pocketParalog', a non-public proof-of-concept software build using J2ME which can read GPS data in real-time and give audible feedback on different parameters?

'Paralog Desktop' (which is running on Windows, Mac and Linux) supports reading the WBT-201 log through BlueTooth and USB after the jump. You will require a patch, though, as WBT-201 support is not public yet. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Examples for WBT-201 tracks can be seen in my logbook.

HTH,
Klaus
My Logbook

I picked-up both a Wintec and a Garmin ForeTrac 201 recently. I have only really played around with the Garmin thus far (good unit and easily connects with the tracking derby web-site).

I believe Scott Campos uses a Wintec unit and seems to like it. Very light and compact !!!
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

Hi Blind,
I got a WBT-201 and tried it this weekend. Basically out of the box, turned on, and placed inside the wing of my Mach 1. (Heffro - Jeff Nebelkopf - wore my Fortrex 201 and he got some good data too which he'll hopefully post.):o

I had no idea what I was going to get in terms of data, but I was pleasantly surprised when I downloaded the tracks and there was something actually there to plot.

I used the USB port to download (don't own anything with Blue Tooth). The latest versions of the required USB Driver and (lacking alternative tools) their device management program called "Time Machine" may be download from here:

http://www.wintec.com.tw/en/support_detail.php?cate_id=11&support_id=65

Install these per their directions. Also, download the manual for the Time-Machine program - it's not the best but a better than nothing.

After I got all this set up and got the device connected (I think it helps to turn it on when you open Time-Machine for the system to recognize it) I was able to easily manage the tracker and the data it collected. Not real sophisticated but functional.

Some weird things I found.
1. I found that the highest time resolution I could set was one sample per second and for some reason I was under the impression from reading some of the GPS blogs that it would sample 4/sec. So, I set it to 10 meter resolution and so maybe this will increase the sample rate to its maximum when flying.
2. As a default, the sampling rate is determined by heading change of 5 degrees which I didn't think was the best.
3. Using the wall charger didn't seem to charge it for the first time - I had to use the car charger. I may have a bad wall unit. The USB port on the computer charges it well though too.

The data is downloaded and can be converted to any number of formats using the Time Machine Program. GPX formats I think are good for Tracking Derby and up-loading to Motion Based, the kmz formats are for Google Earth, and the htm works for Visual Earth. All kinds of plots, and graphs are available using these sites and software.

I'll know a lot more next weekend after now having some experience with the device and how it works.

Also, acquisition was pretty fast - like less than 30 seconds (sitting in co-pilots seat) - but once it got locked, it continued to collect data even while inside the plane (T-Otter). I did try to keep it near a window though as I got zipped up and moved back toward the door.

So far I'm liking it - will know more next weekend.

Let us know if you are having any luck with yours.

-Mike

Play like your life depends on it.

You need to adjust these items in time machine. The interface is not very intuitive but if you read the settings section in the very sketchy manual and play with the software, you will find that you can set it to several specifications, many of which are conducive to wingsuit performance logging. Paralog supports the Win-tec 201 quite nicely and I have found that I can place the unit in my helmet dytter pocket while on jump run, walk to the door and maintain sat lock even while in the A/C. It's a fantastic little unit and quite affordable.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You need to adjust these items in time machine.

It's a fantastic little unit and quite affordable.

I agree, for less than a 100 bucks, it seems like a lot of capability.

Using Time Machine, how did you set the sample rate for more than 1/sec ?

how did you set the sample rate for more than 1/sec ?

When you select time, there is a field box that you can fill in. Are you trying to set it to log points more than once every second?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've had a bit to play with my 201 and based on that experience, I can not endorse Klauss' Paralog software enough. It is the shit. Using the 201 with it was effortless. If it wasn't for TimeMachineX's ability to alter the settings of the 201, I'd say junk it and just go with Paralog.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

how did you set the sample rate for more than 1/sec ?

When you select time, there is a field box that you can fill in. Are you trying to set it to log points more than once every second?

Yup, got that - set the time - but the fastest sample rate I can enter is 1 Hz. According to this forum:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=532337&TOPIC_ID=76813&FORUM_ID=64
the uBlox chipset (which, from what I have read, is the heart of the WBT0-201) is capable of sampling at 4Hz.

The WBT-201 wasn't mentioned specifically, but thought that since the capability existed to achieve the higher sample rate, that there might be a way to set it. Thought maybe there was some special syntax or format that I didn't get.

Please let me know if you've found a way to do that.

I've had a bit to play with my 201 and based on that experience, I can not endorse Klauss' Paralog software enough. It is the shit. Using the 201 with it was effortless. If it wasn't for TimeMachineX's ability to alter the settings of the 201, I'd say junk it and just go with Paralog.

-Blind

Agreed, it's a nice program, I've been using it with the Foretrex 201 for some time now.

Problem is that we are now wanting to look at the data at the DZ, get feedback on each flight. We have multiple GPS units to deal with and different computers. So with all the different GPSs and laptops and home computers, it would require about a hundred licenses to make it work, and that's on a slow weekend. :)
Right now, we're just trying a few different things. Not sure what we'll end up doing. Just beginning to check out options.

I also have been using the WBT-201 for things other than jumping (biking, etc.) and find that Time Machine does everything I need it to do without any problems.

This is another great resource
http://hexten.net/wiki/index.php/WBT-201

I started jumping my Wintec 201 last weekend and I'm quite happy so far. It's got a much more robust antenna system than my Foretrex and I was able to get a usable jump record from a Twin Otter, without a GPS repeater (which is necessary for sit-anywhere use of the Foretrex).
Brian Drake