someday

Quick question regarding impact suit

What are thoughts about someone with my jump numbers flying an impact bird man suit, as a precursor to wing suit flying?

majority of my jumps have been tracking jumps for the specific reason of becoming a flying squirrel.

ive seen mixed responses about skill level required and how easy/hard they are to fly.

so what are your thoughts on my current jump numbers, or waiting till about 100 jumps?

thanks

He can have 60 seconds of track from 4000m..

that's a standard for flat flying....

That's what he told me. I could not try or demo, because it was not any that I could fit in. I'm not a nordic type with wide shoulders, narrow hips and thin legs.

One of my friend is jumping it. He can have 60 seconds of track from 4000m. He claims that it gives him 10 extra seconds. It has a decent quality, but I think its more cool than useful.

Sorry to say but your friend isn't much of a tracker or he is deployed somewhere around 1500m. :) We have achieved longer freefalls on normal freefly tracking dives with freeflypants only and with any tracking gear you should be easily able to beat that. You can get more than 60s from 4k with doing 4-way relative work. :)

Regarding the performance and usability of Impact, I'd recommed on doing search on this forum (and probably BASE board as well).
http://www.ufufreefly.com

If he has a "fast" body type it might be OK, but 60sec is what "regular" people get while falling straight down. On a track add +10-15 seconds.

With the Impact (without legwing) on the only jump I did, got something around 80 seconds, flying partially on the back, and flying 2 ways.

It's a sweet track-flocking suit
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Sorry to say but your friend isn't much of a tracker or he is deployed somewhere around 1500m. :) We have achieved longer freefalls on normal freefly tracking dives with freeflypants only and with any tracking gear you should be easily able to beat that. You can get more than 60s from 4k with doing 4-way relative work. :)

Don't be sorry. I don't know his abilities. I was smiling when I've heard that 60 seconds too.

The biggest issue is whether you can keep a heading on a track, and know where you are relative to the ground and others. Don't end up tracking into other groups' airspace! Deployment is also slightly complicated from normal... depends whether you can cope with this?

With 60-70 skydives, you probably don't have enough tracking experience just yet... Keep tracking, and you'd more than likely be fine at 100 or so... but it very much depends on the individual.

Personally I don't like the Impact suit - fiddly bits and poor performance. Yes, I'm a PFI but I'm not the only one that thinks the Phoenix-Fly tracking suit works better (and doesn't have that fiddly bit between your legs)

Richard
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

I did two jumps on the suit (nr 97 and 98) some time ago.

Flying the suit isn't really that difficult. I got about 75 seconds from 13K (pulling at 4K). (Now I do about 70-73 seconds from 13K to 3.5K in just a ff suit). Hower, I did get more distance with the Impact suit than on a normal tracking jump in freefly clothes.

More important than knowing how to fly is being able to know where you are flying, where you are flying at, where jumprun is, where the dz is...
If there are some wingsuiters at your dz, talk to them about flying patterns.

If possible, jump with some experience trackers at your dz. They might help to improve your track.
It is pretty pointless in buying a tracking suit if you can"t track properly without the suit.

Deployment is also slightly complicated from normal...

You can pull boxman-style with the impact. Wingsuit style pull isn't really necessary.

Make your own tracking suit. Search through the base forums for "smoke pants".

I got a pair of rip stop pants from Old Navy (and a jacket for $10 total) and used that. I was getting anywhere from 75-85 averages and covering great distances (1.2 GR wind adjusted)

Same goes for the PF suit. Save the money and put it towards jumps.

One of my friend is jumping it. He can have 60 seconds of track from 4000m. He claims that it gives him 10 extra seconds. It has a decent quality, but I think its more cool than useful.

Regarding the performance and usability of Impact, I'd recommed on doing search on this forum (and probably BASE board as well).

either that or he went very steep...i have done similar tracking time, but i guess i had a angle about 40-50degrees..the "flight" went fast forward and downward..:ph34r:

How is the Impact doing in the BASE world? Are many people using it or does the PF suit still have a monopoly?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

How is the Impact doing in the BASE world? Are many people using it or does the PF suit still have a monopoly?

If Lauterbrunnen last weekend was anything to go by, there were many people jumping PF tracking suits but not a single Impact suit in sight... in fact I've never seen anyone BASE with it (but that's not to say people don't...)
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

so what are your thoughts on my current jump numbers, or waiting till about 100 jumps?

Without knowing you or knowing how well you track, it would more than likely be in your best interest to wait until you have around 100 jumps before adding anything extra to your skydiving experience. With that said, the IMPACT would be a good transition suit for you to learn on before putting on a wingsuit. Bdrake went that route and has alot of flights on my demo IMPACT. He flew it like he stole it during the Holiday boogie and has since moved on to a wingsuit. He can give you his first hand insight on it. As to it being more complicated or deployment issues, you can read answers to those questions here
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

If Lauterbrunnen last weekend was anything to go by, there were many people jumping PF tracking suits but not a single Impact suit in sight... in fact I've never seen anyone BASE with it (but that's not to say people don't...)

I'd say that PF still is the market leader by far in BASE world but there are people using the impact as well in BASE. (Other people than BM employees too :) ) I jump PF pants myself but I've done couple of flights with Impact in LB. I also did video when fastpete jumped that suit in LB and the footage can be seen in Impact trailer in BM website.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

ok,

but would those of you who have flown the impact agree that it is not as restrictive as a wing suit, therefore it could potentially be safer for lower jump numbers.

it would honestly be a while before i could possibly afford one... but thought it would be a good introduction suit..

One of my friend is jumping it. He can have 60 seconds of track from 4000m.

Meters or feet? I break 100s in a PF track suit almost every time from 4,000m (13,000'+), deploying at 1,200m (~4,000'). 60s from 4,000 feet would be very impressive.

The IMPACT is a great transition to wingsuit flying. I recommend it.

As Scott mentioned, I demoed the IMPACT at the SDAZ Holiday boogie. I had about 120 jumps, many of them tracking dives (split between group and solo), and the IMPACT was a fairly easy suit to get used to at that experience level. More importantly, it really gave me a taste of what it's like to have a suit to fly in addition to my body. It was a new feeling that I think translated well to wingsuits (at least partially).

Having this experience made donning a wingsuit a few months later seem like a much smaller step. I went through a PF first-flight-course (using a Prodigy) with two friends and I took to the suit much quicker than them due, I think, to my tracking experience and flights with the IMPACT. It was such a natural progression for me that the PFI had no problem letting me fly his Phantom after a few Prodigy flights. I haven't looked back since. Wingsuiting is where it's at!

Richard (Pendragon) let me demo the Phoenix-Fly tracking pants/jacket at the same boogie and I actually liked that system a bit more and got better performance than the IMPACT. But I think this is because it didn't require any significant change to my tracking technique whereas the IMPACT body position was a bit new to me (and I only made 5-6 jumps on the IMPACT, so perhaps I would have figured it out more if I kept jumping it). If I had to choose a tracking suit at this point, I'd go with the PF. However, my interest since AFF has been wingsuiting so I think the IMPACT provided a better stepping stone.

Keep in mind my extreme inexperience so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Brian Drake

If money is an issue, go the smoke pants route. It will save you a bunch towards the jumps and the wingsuit(eventually).

The tracking garb are rmostly only useful for BASE. You don't need a tracksuit to simulate exiting and opening while keeping the arms at your side.

Good Luck
Kris.

What are thoughts about someone with my jump numbers flying an impact bird man suit, as a precursor to wing suit flying?

majority of my jumps have been tracking jumps for the specific reason of becoming a flying squirrel.

ive seen mixed responses about skill level required and how easy/hard they are to fly.

I recently gave my Prodigy to a guy with 78 jumps. He did 35 jumps in Phoenix tracking pants & jacket before and pulled several times from full flight, imitated wingsuit exits, etc.

The result? He did have some stability issues (random turns and extreme potato chipping) on his first 3 jumps but he handled it well. He now has a few more WS jumps with no issues.

There's no way to describe his smile. He got what he wanted. At 200 jumps, he'll be already a solid WS flyer.

Put $675 for that crap towards real wingsuit!
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio