pierre3636

PF Ghost

I put quite a few jumps on the prototype.

Yeah you did. ;) I only got 2 jumps on it, myself, but I can tell you one thing for sure: This suit is difficult to get away from Ed. I also put 2 jumps on an M1, and maybe I'm biased or just not familiar enough with Tony suits, but I liked the Ghost better. It had more drive at break off, with the same float. That said, unless you're the fat kid in your group, either of these body bags is over kill.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

unless you're the fat kid in your group, either of these body bags is over kill.

Overkill for what? Some flocks float but don't go anywhere they can be hard to hang back with and stay up. Its worse if you have big drag from loaded camera helmets. Do these type of suits fill that gap?

Overkill for what? Some flocks float but don't go anywhere they can be hard to hang back with and stay up. Its worse if you have big drag from loaded camera helmets. Do these type of suits fill that gap?

Yeah, that sort of thing is a good use for this type of suit, especially if you're heavier than the base. The big flocks we were flying in FL, though, were medium forward and fast down, and a suit with a lot of wing was mostly just annoying. I much prefer my Acro in that situation. However, if you're a big boy and can only have one suit, then something big and floaty is probably the only thing that's going to give you range in every flock you could possibly end up in.

Second, get a base who knows what he's doing, or have your inexperienced base pick up the pace, if you're having trouble going back and up.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

At the Lodi event James commented that for that application he would choose the Phantom over the Ghost.

From personal experience, yes the Ghost is great on its back.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

So how does the ghost fly compared to a V2?

Does it stay well pressurised on your back?

Is there anything that would make it less/unsuitable for BASE?

First off nothing compares to the vampire for me. It is what flying should feel like. The feeling of speed, of deceleration on shut down. It is to wingsuits what every well piloted x brace is to the high performance canopy landing. And I hear thats very popular. For me it wasn't very hard to transition to the V2 from my S3. It can do every thing the S3 does except fly slow and it does everything else much better.

The ghost is nowhere near as fast as a Vampire but nothing is!

If your flocks don't move along the Vampire will fall out of them ( which leads me to believe that every snide remark about vampire pilots going low on flocks says more about what the flock as whole , not the vampire pilot, is lacking )

I don't have that much experience on the ghost and I'm not positive what demographic its designed for. Is it designed for floaty flocks giving it more range in the lower end of the polar? Is it an Acro for heavier dudes?

I like the ghost a lot for day to day small flocks, but don't have the experience of big way style flocking in it ( this will be rectified ). So others can give better feedback than I can in this respect.

And lastly I don't BASE.

On the tail flap. I talked to James about it during the Lodi weekend a few weeks back. The front leg inlets location is about at the knee on my suit and as a result you could see in a video shot from behind that when flying dirty with a good bend in my legs, I was in effect taking the inlets out of the wind. This would cause a flap, again only when dirty. I found after talking some with James, if I arched a bit more at the hips to fall faster and did a less pronounced leg bend I was better with the reduced flap. Also a more toes out knees out position helped as well. The suit flys differently, like any suit and you can tweak positions for different results.

Looking at the picture posted from 3.5 the tail is flapping it looks on both the Ghosts seen. But the legs don't seem to be spread as wide as they should. You don't need the EG Portuguese's Whore stance but it is a good wide stance.

I never noticed the flap on faster forward flocks or solos as I was in more of a max position I did notice flap on slower fwd faster falling flocks.

I don't know if it would be better in terms of pressurization if I had the inlets higher on my thighs (Above the knee) but it might make a difference, I am not a designer. The end result is I am loving the suit overall and really can adjust to reduce the flap and how to get rid of it. Attached are a couple of Lodi pictures that are cropped. Thanks James, for the pics.... First one is just a crop of flying. Good spread and pressurization even with a turn to the left going which can be seen in body position. Second is a shot with 4 Ghosts flying all in different positions and leg bends. The common position is more of a legs out position though and they all seem to be pressurized.

Will it flap, yes. Can it be flown wioth ut a flap, Yes.. Can there be an adjustment on the inlets, I dont know. I still thik the suit is fantastic for the jub it was designed for...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Its hard to get inflation when a large armadillo is blocking the vents.:D

Or maybe he is really arched to stay down and back with the tonys that inflation suffers.:)

Glen, thats the weakest shit stirring I've heard from you in awhile......more alcohol will help. ;):D

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

C'mon PFBoy(oops VectorBoy :P ), you know it is just a matter of size and balance. Undoubtedly, the ghost(or any suit with that size and balance) would make flocking easier in slower(forward) flocks.

The unique thing about all PF suits that have inflatable wings is that they are shape weighted than inflation weighted. No, this is not a rant :P.

What does that mean?

Take a look at any number of V2*, Phantom and ghost pics and it is obvious. No other suits wings look like that when inflated.

The top and bottom surfaces are not distorted by bulges in between the ribs. The contours of the surfaces follow a specific shape...

I prefer flying a properly inflated(maybe even overly so) wing, but I am more interested in preserving my shoulders for old age than flying to the max. Don't believe me? Just ask someone that has seen the hacking I have done to my V2. :D:D

I have to acknowledge(due to the performance of the phantom that I owned) at the same time that the shape over inflation works when the inflation is just right.

Kris.
*The V1 wings inflate with bulges between the ribs when fully inflated.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I pretty much stayed drunk the entire time I was at Cornell.

And for the record I'm a fan of every suit Robi designed, even before PF.:)
My question about the Ghost @Lodi has more to do with the mix of the level of talent in combination with the Ghost on these kinds of events. Some of the favorite suits in the past have been the phantom or S3 for what goes on there when a group travel in with varied skills and a mix of very different body types and experiences to
play together. Even though there are enough people that know how to fly vampires very well to fill the beech it does not happen on these bigger weekend events as about half of the participants would be left out of the base. They tend to save the vampire for the tracking contest and high speed smaller ways you might find on a regular weekend there.

The Lodi flocks are not that slow they move along enough to challenge me in my Acro.