fergs

Blade

Well after playing with her for a few weeks now, I can say that I truely love my Blade. It not only has tremendous power and lift, but as importantly, it can be flown with a lot less effort than all of my previous wingsuits.

That's thanks to the design, especially the shape of the wings. The arm wings, although large, have a scalloped shape, which keeps much of the lifting area closer to the torso. So effort on the arms is less than other suits. Pull time is completely free of wing over hackey, as well.

It flies with rock solid and stable tendancies, although the first couple of flights showed an initial twitchiness close to top end of performnce - that needed to be given some care, attention and respect. This isn't a suit for a low time wingsuiter.

Quality of build is exceptional - with true craftmanship evident. BirdMan can be proud of this product.

Yes, it's toward the top of the list as far as cost is concerned, but for those wanting a top end quality, well designed and exceptional performing wingsuit, the Blade certainly won't disappoint.

The attached pic gives a good comparison between the Blade and the V-2.

fergs
;)

And like a true woman...the best is just getting on your back, and letting her do all the workB|

I need to learn how to backfly just so that I can use that line:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

And like a true woman...the best is just getting on your back, and letting her do all the workB|

Damn, that way you never gona lose those extra pounds:P
If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook

Thats a great looking suit you have there! Those colours really work.

The BLADE really does rock. I love mine, the power is just crazy :)

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

quick question for the fliers whom own BLADES - is it any hassle at all to close the leg wing quickly - especially when you do a barrel roll forinstance - keeping the legwing open causes (when im slack) causes me to end up in a spin. Do the airlocks prevent you from quickly closing out the air in the wing ?

that picture looks great - nice suit - would love to try one !

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

What rig does the guy in the V2 have?

Looks like a Wings.

It also looks like it's packed with the PC under the sideflaps, although it is hard to see because it's all red and the pic isn't very zoomable.

As far as the Blade goes, what were your previous wingsuits (for comparison)?

Thanks for the review & the photo. I was curious about the Blade and its performance range. It looks like a nice suit and all the nice comments are encouraging for potential buyers.

That is an excellent photo to allow close comparison between the V-2 & the Blade.

-Chris-
WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

Closing the legwing is possible for transitions. Like chuck mentioned.
The cells stay inflated, but they tuck away behind or in front of the leg in barrelrolls.

Once you get the hang of transitions, you can flip over to your back without closing anything (making it more of a flying/carve, instead of a barrelroll)

If you check the FLB manual on backflying (near the end, about more aggressive transitions) or the last video from the texel event, you see me do transitions without closing anything.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Looks like a Wings.

It also looks like it's packed with the PC under the sideflaps, although it is hard to see because it's all red and the pic isn't very zoomable.

Maybe a Paratec Next?

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

Looks like a Wings.

Maybe a Paratec Next?

Well, why would be a Wings logo on the top of the reserve flap?

I've flown chucks (former chuck's?) blade which was about 2 inches too long in the legs and while the suit was nice and stable with front/back flying and transitions, I had a hard time getting anywhere near the power/drive/pop of what i could get in a loose/long s6, mach1 or v suit. *shrug*. Maybe it really needs to fix well for it to be any good. Either way i'd rather pocket the difference in $ of other higher end suits (s6,mach,v) or spend it on jump tix.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

At the texel event, we had both Hans fly base, in the position he was used to in his former V2. Trying to fly at at a good and easy pace for everyone to follow.

He ended up doing a long solo, as his old relaxed position turned out to be near max flight for the people (in lesser suits) on the dive.
Hans probably has some comments on this himself, but seemed surprised at the lift in the suit.

Costyn had the same experience. Flying like he was used to in his S6, a lazy flying position he had the rest of the people strugling to keep up.

The first weekend we flew the blades in belgium, it scared people to see how much lift/forward speed we where getting at breakoff.

When comparing it to what I can/could do in my S6, its a huge boost in performance.

Throwing myself around the sky. Climbing above/flying around formations doing video was never that easy..B|

Its my tool of choice..

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I still don't think more lift than a V2 LOL just my opinion

Have you jumped both suits? Do you have any experience flying a V2 against a Blade or vice-versa? I have flown both suits and I find the V2 faster forward and the Blade has much more practical, usable range (at speed or otherwise). I was not very fast in my Blade, but the suit was built a bit top-heavy so it was unbalanced for speed. I am actually faster in my S6 than the Blade I had. The guy I sold my Blade to is three inches taller than me and he was positively ripping it in that suit though. Kris said in one thread how snug is better than loose for performance and he is spot on.

Chuck

Kris said in one thread how snug is better than loose for performance and he is spot on.

Agreed, another good thing about a snug fit is that the feedback from the suit is more direct and noticable. My S6 was a tighter fit (it wasn't built for me) and I felt I had a bit more feeling in the suit than my Blade, which was actually built to my measurements (and which I included some extra room for winter clothing).

That said, I absolutely love my Blade and the Blade is a definite improvement in range and power over the S6.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News