bergh

Suitable Canopy for Wingsuiting

Hi

I am currently jumping my wingsuit with a Hurricane(eliptical). I am looking at changing my canopy to something more suitable.

You might ask why change now ? Well in June I'm heading over to europe for some wingsuiting including the AN-72 Boogie. I would like to avoid malfunctions as much as possible. I would hate to sit on the ground after a mal waiting for end of the day so that some one could pack my reserve.

As far as the canopies goes that I listed in the poll, these are the ones I am considering. Among them my least favorite is the pilot and ZP exe. I had the opportunity this past weekend to jump a 120 pilot and I must say I really disappointed by it's flare power and length of flare stroke. The ZP exe well, it's like flying a giant lung with the way it breaths.

If there is another canopy I should consider please let me know. I would appreciate some advice.

P.s. Do I require a TSO'd rig when jumping in europe?

Regards

Don't know the ZP.exe, but I have tried all the others that you list and they are all great for wingsuit. As has been said a lot of times. However none of them will match your elliptical in flight and flare performance, sorry, but on the other hand they are all cool when you have the twists. So take your pick and live with it :D

There was yet abnouther wing suit canopy thread with wing loads too.

P.s. Do I require a TSO'd rig when jumping in europe?

Thats not a valid question. You should check and ask for the German regulations, because there is no such a thing like unified European regulations about skydiving, although a FAI CoP and TSOd rig can me your life easier.

If there is another canopy I should consider please let me know.

From the list I have experience with the Pilot and the Silhouette with a wingsuit, and they do well, but I can personally vouch for the Triathlon, my current weapon of choice. It flies straight in up to five twists, at a 1.8 loading.

I can't imagine a Spectre wouldn't serve outstanding as well.
Johan.
I am. I think.

70kg's(Me) + 7kg(Rig) = 77kg * 2.2 = 169.4 pounds

Loaded the 124 Pilot at 1.36 at 4000ft above sea level. Compared to my Hurricane 120 the pilot pretty much has no flare power.

have done more than 100 jumps with WS on a hurricane and a zp exe - cut both away with line twists ... have about 300 now on PILOT loaded at 1.5ish i think and its the BEST wingsuit canopy ever for me - i doubt i will change in the foreseable future - 99.99% on heading openings - with the odd bad body position i have flown straight under line twists

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

I jump a Triathlon and am loving it.It's openings are great and if there is a twist it is still flying straight.
Mine is a hybrid so after wingsuit we can do some crw.

And the retractable pilot put's a panic look in a packers eyes if he hasn't seen one before (verry amusingB|)

If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook

I demo'd a lot of canopies in the quest for that fun to fly wingsuit canopy.

I bought a Nitro 120 loaded at 1.6 and put 350 skydives on it, mostly in my wingsuit and loved it, so I would recommend trying a Nitro especially since you have flown an elliptical already.

The more important thing IMHO is to deal with line twists the more effective way:

Get your links/3 rings/risers equalized ASAP and in most canopies that will stop your turn and dive.

I prefer pushing my 3-rings together, NOT pulling apart. You will then tend to naturally unwind under the canopy.

I jump a Nitro 150@1,6 too.
In ~200 WS jumps, I never had a (major) problem with it, beside off mine likes to open hard way too often.

Last weekend I had a break fire, but after a few line twists it was flying straight forward again. B|

Hi,

I´ve done 550 WS jumps alternately Silhoulette and Pilot.
Allways perfect- doesn´t matter how stupid I act :S
I´ve done asymetrical pulls also (ClassicII; S3) it causes sometimes a bit of a twist, but never scary shit.

don´t pester the jester . . or better: WHY SO SERIOUS ? ?

www.pralle-zeiten.de

70kg's(Me) + 7kg(Rig) = 77kg * 2.2 = 169.4 pounds

Loaded the 124 Pilot at 1.36 at 4000ft above sea level. Compared to my Hurricane 120 the pilot pretty much has no flare power.

Pilot is a tapered, Hurricane is an elliptical canopy. You are comparing apples with oranges....:S

You might feel that Hurricane has more lift, because that is a more effective wing. It has a down side, it might not be as stable as the Pilot in line twist and more twichy on opening. anyway you should have acceptable landing with the Pilot and proper flaring technique.

I'd rather put Cobalt into your list. It opens great and flies great. I have a Pilot 150 and a Cobalt 135. I choose Pilot for WS, because of the wing load, but I would fly a Cobalt with on lower wing load (

I had a velo 103 when I started wingsuiting, Ive tried a few others since, The Sabre 2 gets my vote, easy

hahha what does tony know!!! that was funny... he has more experience than a bunch of us put together.
My best friend flies a sabre2 135 loaded at about 1.4 I fly a pilot 190 at about 1.4

We are both very happy with our canopies. I think both or for that fact most of the canopies on your list are excellent at a proper WL for WS.

It is a personal choice on this one...:P
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

I jumped a bunch of canopies before deciding on the Pilot (I bought it before I joined the sponsored instructor program). I didn't like the way the Sabre2 hunted around for a heading during the snivel portion of the opening. The Spectre felt like 7-cell canopies I jumped back in the early 80's ... a glide like a brick and a flare to match. Airlocked canopies felt like riding in a truck down a dirt road .. a rough ride that made me nervous ... non-airlocked canopies give a smoother ride.

But that just my opinion, Jump them all 3 or 4 times each and decide for yourself.

I would like to advertize a canopy for which there is no commercial advertizing at all: Radical from Atair, a true elliptical with the fun which comes with it without the usual problems usually associated with ellipticals, in particular autorotation under twists... in case of twists (due to trash packing in my case), the canopy still continues to fly straight, no worries! otherwise nice two stage opening like falling in a feather pillow, light front riser tension and powerful flare.. along with superior craftmanship and high quality materials. Here is the address kept secret for too long:
http://www.basetroll.com/

I can highly recommend the Springo Canopies from Parachute de France for wingsuitjumps. Then the canopy hit the market it came in the beginning with a slider that caused too hard openings for many customers on regular skydives. For that reason the manufacturer switched to a larger slider very soon. A Springo with the old, smaller slider is fantastic - opens almost like a BlackJack :-)