cpoxon

Luigi flyby of Christ the Redeemer statue

The difference, James, is that you have a TON of wingsuit experience compared to these two. You ROUTINELY take such calculated risks in a wingsuit, which, by the way, you are intimately familiar with. I would have much rather seen pics of you, Robi, or any of the other ultra-current BASE wingsuit guys doing this.

Chuck

Somehow, if you've got a bright jersey with a sponsor's logo on it, people think you're the best person for the job. As Chuck implied, there are many more experienced people out there that generally keep a much lower profile...

99% of the time, the people who spend their time developing, maintaining, and perfecting their skills are not the same people who spend their time seeking sponsorships, developing marketing contacts, and organizing media events.

Why, for example, wasn't Chuck doing this stunt? Probably because he was a tad busy making his 10 wingsuit jumps every single day.

I'm not saying that Jeb and Luigi don't deserve due credit for bringing this stunt to fruition. Just that they obviously spent a lot of time and energy on the marketing and sponsorship angles--because you have to do that to arrange these things. There's always going to be someone, somewhere, who spent that time working on building skill instead.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

> Probably because he was a tad busy making his 10 wingsuit jumps every single day.

How do any of you know that Jeb and Lou were not doing 10 wingsuit jumps a day in preparation for this stunt going back a few months? Its not like they are wage slaves chained to a 9 to 5 like most of us. they could easily make X number of jumps a day.

> Probably because he was a tad busy making his 10 wingsuit jumps every single day.

How do any of you know that Jeb and Lou were not doing 10 wingsuit jumps a day in preparation for this stunt going back a few months? Its not like they are wage slaves chained to a 9 to 5 like most of us. they could easily make X number of jumps a day.

Some people from Headcorn(My home DZ ) went to Perris for a week atleast a month ago. According to them, Jeb and Luigi were jumping wingsuits together the whole time.

Kris.

Hello,
I am happy to see my friend Jeb and Luigi succeeded the mission they planed again.
I heard about their plan while ago. When I was checking the area, I noticed that flight will be tricky but possible.
Great that both went through the stunt OK.
If I may comment this flight and flight pattern I would say that this is not the best way to do it.
The flying style was rather falling than flying..(agree w Hans, similar to DW style when he died http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2785747;#2785747 )

Even tracking can be easily better than the glide those guys had during their pass over and under the arm
Much easier would be to attack w steep approach and flatter overall glide than falling slow and shaky.
The speed on terrain flying must be way higher! Higher than is any normal skydive WS jump or standard BASE performance jump.
It can be done w max glide ratio too, but than flyer must be familiar w terrain and the risk is always way higher.

Another issue is that such stuff can not be trained much from the plane. It require more BASE WS flying on '' easier'' spots, slowly progressing to harder ones...
Flying around tandems or canopies is different and easier than flying over hard ground...
As far as the sponsors goes: They were on right time and right place once -that is it... we all wish the same more or less... :).
Both guys are skilled in their main core ( BASE and swoop)
Both guys have absolute right to play and explore what else they can do and I wish them best.
We all have right to be jealous too ha, haa...

For the end: Touching the trees was not planned thing, meaning it was MISTAKE but luckily w no ultimate consequence.
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/gofast/27915/

WINGED MAN MAKES HISTORY - SOARS WITHIN TWO METERS OF CHRIST THE REDEEMER

Historic Flying Man Footage Captured as Brazilian Professional Athlete Luigi Cani Narrowly Escapes Tragedy over Corcovado Mountain

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (April 26, 2007) / PRNewswire / -

Earlier today, residents of and visitors to Rio de Janeiro witnessed something never seen before, when Brazilian native and Go Fast! Sports and Beverage Company-sponsored athlete Luigi Cani soared under his own wings within two meters of Christ the Redeemer, atop Corcovado Mountain. Further etching this amazing spectacle into the minds of onlookers, Cani freefell at terminal velocity, skimmed the earth, and continued flight, uninjured.

"This was the most exhilarating flight I've ever experienced," explained Cani, who skimmed the bushes after flying past Christ the Redeemer. In spite of skimming, Cani maintained flight long enough to get to a location high enough above the ground to open his parachute. "It was almost miraculous," Cani said, "I truly felt a greater power was watching over me."

"I am hoping that the imagery captured during this flight will convey the sense of freedom, emotion and awareness of everything around you; especially when you only have control over certain elements in life." Cani continued.

It was Cani's calm, clear-headed and fast response that allowed him to continue flying and avoid fatal disaster after scraping the mountain.

This momentous flight took place less than two weeks after Brazil launched a campaign for Rio de Janeiro's iconic Christ the Redeemer statue to be named one of seven new wonders of the world, Cani hopes with his legendary flight to embody his country's vision, which believes that the outstretched arms of the statue represent a feeling of national pride.

After more than a year of planning this event, and with the help of his frequent BASE Jumping friend, Jeb Corliss, Cani was able to freefall past the statue, which stands 38 meters (125 feet) atop the 710 meter (2,330-foot) tall Corcovado Mountain in the Tijuca Forest National Park overlooking the city and its world renown beaches.

Edited to add copy in case it disappears in the future.

"Narrowly escapes tragedy"?! :S Got to love those sensational copy writers!

when you do a "touch an go" with some bushes in freefall i also will called that "narrowly escapes tragedy"

and i have never seen a wingsuit pilot go into sort of box position like Cani did when he pulled...what was that????:|

and i have never seen a wingsuit pilot go into sort of box position like Cani did when he pulled...what was that????Unimpressed

No offense. If that is the case, you have not seen enough footage or observed closely.

Patrick DG pulled in a sort of box position. Loic's pulls in Soul flyers(1) are closer to a box pull than the symmetric wingsuit pull we are used to. One handed throws can be seen in many modern BASE videos. Whatever works for him. He may not have wingsuit experience or BASE experience...but I bet he has some experience with the deployment sequence ;).

The lesson that can be learned(about how to fly close to objects) from this has been pointed out by Han-Solo and Robi.

Kris.

In my definition/guestimate Jeb probably has minimum 6~800 wingsuit skydives, possibly many more. Wingsuit base I have no clue.

Shit, his sidekick Rigby probably has more wingsuit skydives than I do, and I have a video verifiable "metric" butt ton of wingsuit skydives.

But the three of us should proceed with caution as neither of us are.... BIRDMAN INSTRUCTORs.

Chickens to this, I say.

Glen you have NO problem telling me that these guys only jump with each other. NEVER with any other experienced wingsuit pilots on the west coast. Why defend them now?

Hey, Eddie, have you ever jumped with any of these guys. Hey, JP, did you ever jump with any of them when you were there? Hey, SARAH FUCKING BRACHER, have YOU, as the most experienced wingsuit pilot I know at Perris EVER jumped with these guys? Seriously??? Did they, instead, hide their "project" from you guys and simply not want to be in the air with you? I would really like to know.

I just got an inflamatory PM from Jeb asking me "if I even BASE jumped" and I piled right back into him and gave him my reasons why I thought this was a clusterfuck. Please don't try to fuck with the guys that actually do this as more than a sideline/whim! I am simply not impressed and neither should any of you other "real" wingsuiters. I give a rat's ass how cool you think you are for pulling at 300 feet and lower. That has NOTHING to do with your actual proficiency at flying a wingsuit.

Again: I don't care how much heat I take from these people. None of them fly wingsuits as much we do here at Z-hills and none of them have been doing it as long as we have.

Please come to Z-hills and show me what you have fucking got.

Chuck

For what it is worth in what has now turned into a dick contest in this thread and the other one, I have jumped with Lugi and a few other "west coast" birds on a couple of occassions. While wingsuiting may not be Lugi's primary discipline, I found that he commanded his suit and flew it with complete authority, as good or better than some full time birds I have flown with.

Personally, I find the arm chair quarterbacking in this and the other thread to be a sad state of affairs. Whether you agree, or not, with how or why they did it,if you can do it better, stop hating and get out there and do it better, it's that simple. Both Lugi and Jeb pulled off a unique event that highlighted wingsuiting to the worlds general public. If you've been in this sport for more than a day you have undoubtedly had a close call or one of those moments when the pucker factor was high when things didn't go as planned.Had they not been honest and had the intestinal fortitude to mention Lugi's close call I doubt anyone would have noticed and these threads would have gone in a different direction than they have. When I see Lugi again, I'll shake his hand and congratulate him. What will you do when you see him face to face?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Glen you have NO problem telling me that these guys only jump with each other. NEVER with any other experienced wingsuit pilots on the west coast. Why defend them now?

Chuck

Chuck here is a cut and paste of what I said in a few PMs. But I will admit its second hand info relayed as I wasn't on the DZ during any flockage of late. We actually flock at a bunch of different DZs. I Have yet to meet anybody else in Sara's flock due to different DZs. I was not defending anybody per se but just pointing out some facts.

"That statement about the number of jumps that lou has may have been true a few seasons back but it seems that a lot of the local Perris high profile guys like lou, Eli and Swanson have been hitting the wingsuits pretty hard lately."

"I'm sure if I would have been on the DZ the days that these guys were flocking I would have been welcomed on their flights <( speculation on my part). Most of these high profile guys don't have a problem joining a flock now and then when they aren't busy, they have all jumped with us on occasions. But mostly they are bustin out whatever their main speciality is."

"I have flown camera for Luigi canopy practice docks before."

That last one was years ago with Cedric and I admit I have never flown with Jeb or Rigby. Who are not sidekicks actually but more like two amigos. They do a lot of training flights together.

Personally, I find the arm chair quarterbacking in this and the other thread to be a sad state of affairs.

Dude, I'll bet you don't even OWN an armchair. I've sat in an armchair at LEAST a few thousand times.

:);)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

you have NO problem telling me that these guys only jump with each other. NEVER with any other experienced wingsuit pilots on the west coast. Why defend them now?

Something I dont completely agree with.
The ton of two ways Ive done with Costyn the past years that tought me most stuff. Even though I got to flock and fly with several 'experienced bigname pilots' at boogies, its those week long 2 ways (doing 40 of them) that tought me most.

Jumping with one friend for many, many jumps, and flying it fast, close and dynamic and at variable angles, can teach a person much more, then jumping in big static flocks with groups of 'more experienced' people.

As is the whole jumpnumbers thing..I know people with only 200 wingsuit jumps, that could outfly (and by that I mean, dynamic flying, flocking aerobatics etc) a lot of people with double to triple that amount of jumps.

Dont let jumpnumbers and 'who do you jumps with' be the only guide.

Looking at Jebs (video)resume. When I see him fly underneath that bridge. Nearly fly back into a porter (aside from Deug, who actually flew back in, Jeb is the only person from who Ive actually SEEN video of doing that) so I do think skillwise he is at the high end of flying a wingsuit..yea..

Sure, he may look like a baby next to Loic when it came to that canopy docking thing. But I think 99,99% of all the people flying wingsuits would.

I havent touched the wingtip of a gliderplane in my recent jumps at least;)

*edit to add*

The reason Im posting this, is that people first where talking about the stunt itself, and what went right/wrong. But now seem to be focussed on getting out every little thing they can remember about the person(s) involved. Discrediting their skills. Flying etc. And some statements, at least to me, dont seem completely fair?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

What he was doing has very little to do with flying in a 'flock'.....so why would he particulary want to train/practice in that way..?
Are you having a go at someone who chooses to fly their suit in a way/mode thats different to your personal preference?

Please don't try to fuck with the guys that actually do this as more than a sideline/whim! I am simply not impressed and neither should any of you other "real" wingsuiters.

Wow...with that kinda attitude ....is it a wonder that he kind prefers to stay away from the 'real' wingsuiters.
What is a 'real' wingsuiter anyway?
I fly a wingsuit....I'm not very good...but I'm safe, enjoy what I'm doing and have fun....am I a 'real' wingsuiter?

I give a rat's ass how cool you think you are for pulling at 300 feet and lower. That has NOTHING to do with your actual proficiency at flying a wingsuit.

Who ever said it did...?
Although it doesnt take a lot of research to find that there are considerations/skills required for low pulls in wingsuits that you dont need necessarily to think about when pulling at 3K....
that , maybe,
might have prompted Jebs question to you..."do you BASE jump...?"
You ( as I have heard and as you tell us) are a great wingsuit pilot....but if you are not a BASE jumper or BASE wingsuit pilot...I'm afraid you dont have much credit in criticising someone who is a 'good' wingsuit pilot and 'great' BASE jumper...

And note that Jeb responded to you via pm....I think your rant here was rude and uncalled for.:(

guys,

All this discussion slide off from the origin discussion.
Main thing is that Jeb has right to do what he think he is capable to do. Will be allways those who will agree w him and those who wont.
As far as his skill goes, Jeb have made in the past so many stunt and stuff in BASE what 99% of us wont even think to think about. Respect that.
Also, he has right to kill himself if he want to as well.

From the video it is hard to see whole approach, but I only dare to comment just general approach. I spoke w Jeb, and he knows what I think should be made differently in order to be safer in the future. He will take my or any other person opinion if he decide is worth to take. This is enough I guess...

Honestly, skydiving WS-ting has so little in common w such flight. So little that it is hard to train this from the plane at the DZ. That is why in my opinion Luigi put himself in trouble on ONE jump.

Regaring the press: They will always take whatever base jumper or skydiver does in their own way. I would not care so much about the press at all...
(honestly-both society, base and skydiving, likes to say how dangerous and complicated all this is, when it is about how cool we are, but when we search for sponsors or legal event, suddenly, BASE or skydiving is super easy and safe, almost like tenis or golf)

To discuss who is better in WS over Jeb's and Luigi stunt is pointless...
Who think is not , can come on any rock and fly by close and find out who can do better....
after all, possibilities for shows like this are countless... it is up to us to give a try...

Good luck
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com