skyjumpsteve

Women skydivers claim world record

I found this story from a Google "skydiving" news alert I set up. Anyone have a pic of this? Nice going bird babes! :)
http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Women-skydivers-claim-world-record/2007/04/23/1177180543732.html

Eight female skydivers claim to have broken a world record north-west of Brisbane.
NSW-based skydiving instructor Elaine Cox said the women had executed a perfect "eight-way flock" at the Skydive Ramblers drop zone at Toogoolawah.
The manoeuvre involves flying in close formation wearing suits with webbed wings under the arms and between the legs.
Ms Cox said the group, made up of six Australians, a Dutch and a Norwegian woman, reached speeds of up to 120km/h in an arrow formation.
"The previous record was a seven-way in England two years ago," Ms Cox said.
The record was achieved at the Skysisters event, an international skydiving symposium to encourage and support female skydivers.
"We're trying to bring women on in the sport and develop them and nurture them and set records," Ms Cox said.
She said the women would try to break more skydiving records during the week-long Skysisters event.

The article is not very clear... it describes a "world record" achieved by women, but does not specify that it is a "women's world record", just a "world record".

Again, more clarification from inside the community is needed.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Again, more clarification from inside the community is needed.

Search long enough and there is a first for everything...
A perfect 14 way V was already flown in 2004 at the hercules boogie?
Who sets the rules for these records? And what organisation recognises them?

What world record is next, first 15 way on a tuesday in pink suits flown by gay men from 3k through a rainstorm?B|

Nice pictures (show em if you got em;))..incredible flying...but 'world records?'

Its wonderfull media exposure..and I can imagine, incredible fun to fly..and my hats off to the girls that made it happen!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Elaine is a hottie, but her hubby reads here too so I'll shut up now:)

Hi Greg;)

BTW It was a Womans World Record claimed

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Sweeeet!

And nice stuff with the embedded videos on SDM!

Definately swallowing my previous words!
That was some mighty fine flying, and definately worthy an international mention!

There arent that many formations flown with everyone in their slot, and the formation clearly visable and recognisable.
And getting this done with a team who probably didnt jump together that much before this event!

My clogs are off to all you lovely ladiesB|

p.s. who's the Dutchie, and how can we lure her to our flocking events in Holland:P

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

sure it is some nice flying, but fail to see how this is special..

Working on a boogie to get a formation like this flying with various skill levels. Getting the positive media attention. Making it happen..

The 'record' itself doesnt really matter..good flying..positive vibes and people working to show something like this is!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

sure honeys in wingsuits are nice, but I haven't really seen any pictures ;)

I don't care about if it is called a "record" or not. maybe i would be more swayed if i knew their experience levels, but doubt people here know.
Media attention for something like this is fine too. They did a good job organizing it.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

It is special because there were actually 8 women in one place flying wingsuits in the same flock. Even at F&D or Stupino, I do not think there were that many women who were flying wingsuits, let alone on the same load. I think it is great!

:S

There were 8 or so women at F&D 2.0..granted most were just starting.. I think 2.0 had more than 3.0. Morpheus would know the exact count.

The big ways had everyone on them [in 2.0 and 3.0], isn't that the same load? Sure it wasn't exclusive to women, but you women could have organized one.

-nice flock & good/positive organization around the jump and for the media. that's all IMO. It's not their fault media and the majority of people are ignorant when it comes to skydiving.

I dont know why it seems there is a need to defend myself. There is no reason I need to. QED

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

You are right, it is great, great for them and for wingsuiting. At last years An-72 Birdman boogie we had I believe close to 10 women show up and participate. All of them were on the record and many were in the front of the formations consistently during the days before the event. The more people flying wingsuits the better it is for the whole flock.:)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hey Everyone,

Elaine and I have just arrived back home from SkySisters - what an awesome event!!

The eight girls on the jump were;
Elaine Cox - Aus
Cath Comyns - Aus
Tanya Cale - Aus
Cecilia Morton - Aus
Susie McEvoy - Aus & Organiser of the SkySisters Symposium
'Quiche' Lorraine Duff - Aus
Conny van Setton - NL
Linn Mikkelborg - Norway

Subsequently the girls put up a couple of nine ways and a ten way but none were flown as tight as this one.

This 'team' had NEVER flown together prior to the event.
Some of these girls were new to WS flight.
With the exception of Elaine, who was coaching/LO, there were 4 "experienced" flyers (with between 10 & 40 flights) the rest had 3-5 WS Flights.
One of the girls had had done her FFC the day before! They all did extremely well as you can see on the video.

While we were at the event we also put 15 girls (and six guys) through their FFC, most of whom made multiple flights during the week.

As far as the 'record' claims; sure, we're talking this up to get some positive media - none of these girls are about to let their ego's get ahead of them.

And, for the record - they are all real hotties!

I was flying camera, I'll post some pics of the WS stuff ASAP.

Fly Safe, Greg.