jakee

Netheravon's wingsuit weekend - flocking excellent!

Since all the footage everyone gave to guillio disappeared into his X-Files, and my short video only had the jumps in it.

I would definately love a video on last year, and all the great fun on the ground. Failed rodeos;) macca being cool...you know..

And maybe someone move this thread hijack to the Cochstedt topic or its own thread? Though its nowhere near as cool as that awesome BBQ thread;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Since all the footage everyone gave to guillio disappeared into his X-Files,

Yes, what ever happened to all of the footage he was collecting from everyone? I know there was a fairly long list of names he had of people who he said he would send a DVD/CD to after the event. Does anyone have his contact info?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Very nice video as usual James! I missed it the first time around somehow but noticed somebody's reply to it and just finished watching it.

Keep the cool camera angles coming. The part where you looked left then right with the "overhead" cam was VERY trippy (even though it was a very simple "maneuver" to do)... I had to watch it like 10 times. I think it looked cooler than the barrel roll from that angle.

Some scary looking zoo-exits though, and one pretty hard burble impact. I've never liked the idea of gainers in groups, and disliked even more the idea of only half of a group doing gainers. Even if everyone tries to do it, half end up pointed in the wrong direction and it's chaos afterwards. There's a shot around 00:45 where you finish doing a gainer and somebody screams by, it appears as if they're going the other way but it's hard to tell.

Even with "flat and stable" exits for all, bigway wingsuit exits scare me. During the 3-plane loads at 3.0 (does this "3-3" mean we add a plane each year?) I was a bit nervous on exit and while approaching the formation. On non-WS bigway loads (RW) I am sure there have been collisions on the way to the base, with varied levels of severity. But our closing speeds are so much higher than RW guys, and we get so much more spread out on exit, that we always end up approaching the base from a variety of angles, levels, and speeds. It's a big sky, but I keep wondering when I'm going to see (or participate in) a seriously bad "bump". :| I've had people rush by at very high speeds, in all 3 directions (up-down, left-right, and forward-back).

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

James was very careful to make sure the exit was rehearsed...and in a relaxed kinda way that he thought no one would notice....was putting people in the 'right' exit slot dependant on ability and experience.
I remember brushing someones arm on exit once ....and a very hazy recollection of holding another mans hand on exit [:/]..but other than that I found a gainer exit out of a skyvan to be a much more 'consistant' exit than most....even dare I say it a 'float' exit....at least I dont have to shuffle backwards and risk tripping...as well as being able to delay the exit a little bit if I saw someone ahead of me having a big issue with their exit.

Some scary looking zoo-exits though, and one pretty hard burble impact. I've never liked the idea of gainers in groups, and disliked even more the idea of only half of a group doing gainers. Even if everyone tries to do it, half end up pointed in the wrong direction and it's chaos afterwards. There's a shot around 00:45 where you finish doing a gainer and somebody screams by, it appears as if they're going the other way but it's hard to tell.

The person flashing by is going the same direction, just not very quickly. I don't know if she did a gainer or a straight dive exit. With the 'zoo exits,' bear in mind that the most we took out of the skyvan in one go was (I think) 8, so it wasn't hugely congested. I was in the first or second row exiting all weekend and only on one exit did I even get so much as a nudge, so from my point of view they were going quite well.

The burble impact was me falling on Paul, purely a result of poor slot discipline by me towards the bottom end of the dive, and not being fully aware of where he was. I think I fell on him from about a yard above. Shame really because that jump had been very tight until then, lesson learned:$
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

My intent was not to point a finger at James or any of the flyers. I've busted my share of burbles and had my share of fast passes. Just wanted to re-emphasize the risks we're playing with. My entire post wasn't even necessarily related to James' video... just got off on a side train of thought and took the thread off topic.

I know I've given someone a GIANT bruise on his calf (so bad he limped for two weeks) and I was only a few feet away when I caught his burble (i.e. what appeared to be a "soft" impact). With an impact to a more vital place, and more closing speed, the results would be horrible. [:/]

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

My intent was not to point a finger at James or any of the flyers. I've busted my share of burbles and had my share of fast passes. Just wanted to re-emphasize the risks we're playing with.

That's cool, wasn't taking anything the wrong way, just giving my inside perspective on the weekend. And I'm sure with your experience of big big-way exits and the like you've got a lot of perspective that I don't!

I know I've given someone a GIANT bruise on his calf (so bad he limped for two weeks) and I was only a few feet away when I caught his burble (i.e. what appeared to be a "soft" impact).

Ouch. The hit in the video was rig to rig - I didn't even get the slightest bruise from it. On the other hand, I'm sitting here in a fair bit of pain because I pulled a muscle in my back with a perfectly standard solo exit from the Caravan this afternoon!:S It's a crazy world:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

As the person on the bottom it didn't feel bad at all even though it may look different. Also it was the only real collision in some 25 dives. Bearing in mind that some only started on a wingsuit that weekend I thought it was probably about par for the course, perhaps better, and there was plenty of disciplined flying. As an FS jumper I have been in worse (perhaps that says more about my FS) and, whilst everything we do needs treating with respect, a little controlled pushing of our own individual limits is surely needed otherwise we will not progress.