hjumper33

Wingsuit with leg strap bungee

Does anyone have an ingenious method of making a freefly legstrap bungee or something like it that is removable so I can still fly my wingsuit without a huge hassle? Id like something more permanent than just a pullup cord tied between them.

Charlie

Try adding a snap shackle to one side of your bungee, so it easily disconnectable. ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I've sen the Fastex buckle used and a simple Rapide link works too. I once saw a RSL shackle in use too but I can not remember where, maybe in TX. It seemed to work better to put it on the end then in the middle, in the middle if it got flicked the metal or plastic would be kicked into your thigh and it seemed to hurt a lot.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

A guy named Frederik Tengbom ("Fritte" on here) from Sweden had the RSL shackle on the end... it seemed to work well for him. He did a lot of freeflying and wingsuit stuff. I'd like to get a setup like that so I can get back into freeflying...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Tools:
- Screwdrivers
- Hole punch (optional)
- Scissors
Materials:
- Plastic plate like a credit card or hotel key card
Instructions:
- Heat screwdriver (diameter close to bungee)
- Make the three small holes
- repeat for diameter close to bungee with knot in it (hole punch work well)
- only AFTER making the holes, Cut the excess plastic.
- Repeat several times until you get the right fit

How this works:
- Tie bungee to legstrap 1.
- Other end of bungee goes in the small, single hole and gets a knot on the other side. Cut off excess.
- Tie bungee to legstrap 2.
- Other end gets a knot (measure twice). Cut off excess. (Do this after a few jumps because you can't uncut) Leave enough excess so you can pull on it easily 1.5-2 inches
- Insert the bungee in the big hole (*snicker* "he said big hole") and when you pull on it it should snap into the smaller ones and remain there.

I tried several designs with varying degrees of failures. This one still works and has not broken yet. If you make the hole too big, it will sometimes come out when you freefly. Make the hole tight like sister not loose like sleeve of wizard.
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

I went to a couple different riggers asking for a spare RSL shackle thinking it would be some cheap hardware they had lying around... each one said they'd have to special order one for like $30. So instead I went with a quick link... you can find them at any hardware store for cheap.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

that is kind of over kill. I used about 4 different designs before I got to my current one Bungee loop and a small clip from a dog collar I got at walmart for $2 (http://www.bitsandbats.com/images/mallace%20021.jpg like that one, about the size of the fingernail on my small finger) and tied it in the middle. it has lasted the last 100 jumps or so. I had one with a bigger clib but sometimes sitting on the floor of the AC it would stick into me (the little one doesn't). I had also tried some other cs clips though they snapped and keyring loops though they bent and weren't as quick.

Bungee cord (or thick hair eleastic) $2 collar from walmart (for a rat sized dog) scissors and 5 minutes is all you need...

I've been playing with a bunch of ideas and made them all way too complicated. Then it hit me. I'd be willing to bet everyone has the solution in their gear bag already. I don't have pictures, so just follow along. I'll be home in a couple days and can post pictures then.

Untie/remove one side of the bungy from the leg strap. Tie a big knot on the loose end of the bungy.
Get a spare closing loop out of your gear bag. Yes, you should have one. The eye of the loop shoud be at least 1/2"(15mm). Tie it to the attachment point on the opposite leg from the bungy. The free end with the eye should be about 2"(50mm).

Here is where it might get complicated for some of the not too bright mouth breathers.

Open the eye of the loop and slide the tip of eye back down over the shaft of the loop. This will create a new eye/slip knot as the loop kind of doubles over on itself. This might take a while to figure out, but once you do, it will seem so obvious.

Thread the knot on the end of the bungy through the slip eye you have just created.
Now just give a light tug on the bungy and the slip knot/eye of the closing loop will slide up the shaft of the loop and cinch down on the end of the bungy up against the knot.

It will hold tight and won't come out.

To separate, slide the slip eye back down the shaft of the loop to make it loose enough to get the knot on the end of the bungy to fit through.

Both pieces are securely attached to the leg straps and when either connected or loose, won't get hooked on anything or cause any damage to suit/padded bench seat/body parts.

Give it a try.

And the next time you see me after you realize how simple this is and don't have to buy an RSL shackle or custom part, you can show your thanks by buying me a beverage(one that has an umbrella and wedge of fruit).

:ph34r:

That is KISS brilliant monky! Turned a closing loop into a hangman's noose...

Never thought of describing it as a noose, but that's perfect. Guess I don't think like a Texan.;)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Tack a small Velcro wrap to the end of some bungee cord and it looks like a knot. Simple, fast and no hard bits to sit on and nothing to catch.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Here are some bungee hooks that may work well:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bungee-cord-hooks/=gs4t9c
http://www.mcmaster.com/#bungee-cord-locks/=gs4y81

Different bungee types can be found here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bungee-cords/=gs50j3

I think Javelin loops are 1/4 or 3/16 inch diameter but don't quote me on that. I used to have a Vector micron, but never paid attention to loop diameter.

Had this one figured out in about 3 minutes after getting my suit a few years ago!

I cut a pair of clips off the student gloves at work and tied them with regular shockcord.

Wingsuit = unclip
Everything else = clip

Simple.

It's pretty hilarious to be honest the lengths people have gone to to make it so complicated!

Sheesh Vader, you get back in your own neck of the woods and you start getting all antsy to skydive.

OK, took some quick shots of the bungee and closing loop combo for a quick disconnect for legs straps. Both of my rigs are elsewhere, so you will have to use your imagination of the loose end tied to your leg strap.

Untie one side of your bungee. Tie a good size knot on the free end of the bungee. Tie it loose for now. You might want to adjust the length of the bungee once you finish the rest of the steps.

Tie the closing loop to your leg strap with about 2"/50mm of free loop. The eye of the loop should be about 3/4"/20mm.

Fold the open eye back over the shaft of the closing loop creating a new loop.

Insert bungee knot into the eye of the loop.

Tighten the the eye against the bungee.

To remove, just loosen the grip of the closing loop against the bungee and pull the knot through.

I like this method as there is no hardware that could come undone or break. And there is nothing that could poke you or damage the padded seats of the plane as you slide towards the door.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity