unclecharlie95

What is "popping"?

I am 5'11", 190lbs. out the door and have flown the Raptor for 182 seconds from 13,500ft. to 2,500ft. I have done 204 seconds in a Mach 1.:ph34r:

Interesting... do you have any GPS tracks or JumpTrack screenshots? You've been flying the suits for a while now, you must have some hard data for us?
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Neither Jeff nor I are GPS geeks, but I am sure it wouldn't be too much trouble for him to take a photo of his Neptune log for that jump. It was just recently. The only real GPS geek on this dropzone is Grey Mike.

Anyone wanting "hard data" on Jeff's ability to stay aloft need only show up at Flock and Dock or any of the dropzones he has chosen for his gypsy tour this summer.

Chuck

Neither Jeff nor I are GPS geeks, but I am sure it wouldn't be too much trouble for him to take a photo of his Neptune log for that jump. It was just recently. The only real GPS geek on this dropzone is Grey Mike.

Please do... As someone once said: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Anyone wanting "hard data" on Jeff's ability to stay aloft need only show up at Flock and Dock or any of the dropzones he has chosen for his gypsy tour this summer.

Well unfortunately as much as some of us Europeans would like to join the Flock & Dock, we have only so much cash for attending boogies this year and the ones we're going to are all gonna be in Europe this year.

Cheers
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Chuck

That data sounds right. I don't need any proof. Would still be very nice to see the Paralog profile. Just curious as to how the speed varied over the course of the jump. I'd guess that it was slowest for the first third of the jump.

Wonder what Perry is doing in the Mach1?

Kris.

Well unfortunately as much as some of us Europeans would like to join the Flock & Dock, we have only so much cash for attending boogies this year and they're all gonna be in Europe this year.

Yea..Europe is horrible this summer...

From April till september, there is a wingsuit weekend, week, contest or boogie going on somewhere almost every single day...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

That data sounds right.

Agreed, you can get a 39 mph average out of a Phantom.

It's truly one of the most efficient wings I have ever flown and seen other people fly. I am constantly amazed at how fast and far Ryan Scarlet can go in his and he's fucking 320 out the door. Seriously. We have three on the rack in our school right now.

To be sure, biggest does not mean best if you do not have mastery of the larger suit. Case in point: my wife. She had a Classic II first, then upgraded to an S3. She got the same performance out of her "small" suit as she did in the larger suit which took more concentration to fly. She will be flying her Classic II and a LadyFlyer (from Tony) at Flock and Dock.

Chuck

I have a hard time understanding why an experienced skydiver has not ever heard the term "pop", but that's besides the point.

Hey Ho,

at least I can say that pop up is common to german skydivers. We often used it in RW flight where people float up: we say "hoch-poppen" means popping high.
Never had any trouble understanding when Chuck said "pop up". Really funny to me that obviously many people never heard it :)
Anyhow it seems we got to a common understanding..

long flights

Never had any trouble understanding when Chuck said "pop up". Really funny to me that obviously many people never heard it Smile

Its not the pop-up that people didnt understand..it was out-popping which made some people raise an eyebrow..:P

More popping hereB|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Please borrow this GPS from Mike and stick it in, in one of your next flights....please.

Is this really so hard? :$

We nerds dont believe other devices except GPS ;)

Jeff and I were just talking about this yesterday. I'll be collecting GPS data on him one day next week when he gets back from the Sebastion boogie.

I don't believe Jeff has Paralog, but, like Chuck suggested, a picture of the Neptune summary screen would provide good comparative data.

I'll gladly post the results when I get the plots. Stay tuned. ;)

--Mike
Play like your life depends on it.

That data sounds right.

Agreed, you can get a 39 mph average out of a Phantom.

The simple fact is wingsuit performance is varied in the same suit depending on the weight and height, as well as exp level. Perfect example Flora, Tony's daughter in an aerobat (with less than 30 ws jumps)can "almost" keep up with me in a Mach 1. She is my height and 40lbs lighter. Perry who weighs 135 has to fly almost entirely shut down in a flock, so Perry should be able to leave me standing still in a Mach 1
BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

Guys & gals,

Talking with so much passion about vertical decent in way ''who is going slower'' is entirely wrong. Data such vertical speed does not have any skill value. If one jumper has very low speed on vertical decent, this saying more about his/her proportion , rather than skill.

Very great example is Ryan (Chuck mention his recently) were he flies great in his suit.

In general, lack of good and honest data about GR, horizontal component and winds directions in different altitudes unfortunately is placing vertical speed data as primary measurement of someone ability.

In other words, the Vertical speed can not be taken as the judgment of '' how flight is good or bad'' without having other data. Why?!

Because that way of understanding the WS flying / falling automatically place the lighter guys to become super great pilots while heavier has less chance to get in to the frame, regardless of their exceptional skill ( just because their vertical is higher than of the another naturally skinnier jumper?!)

Also having the vertical speed only as the tool to show student if he/she fly good is entirely wrong too. Very often exactly that approach could lead student to start focus on wrong flying position, wrong muscle memory, etc...

As the result, we get the very ''experienced'' WS flyer who fly slow vertical (if he is lucky to be light ) but w no clue that flying requires completely different body position. Sadly, flocking formation are full of that kind of examples, even though there is no reason to be like that. Flying together, rather than ''flying'' and checking the vertical speed later are often much more fun.

In my experience, flocking are nice if the flyers are using spread legs always , while adjusting the vertical and horizontal speed with arching the body. Kind of French way of flocking....

Once the legs are bend, even slightly, any chance of getting lift is over and the flyer is becoming faller. Keep that in mind.

C'ya at F&D
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

My original post was made with three intentions:

1. To try and understand "pop up" in terms of what is happening to the suit aerodynamics, rather than describing a simple movement in the vertical axis.

2. To generate discussion about the language we use to describe and compare wingsuit flight performance.

3. It also seemed like a suitable thread discuss how we are using about 50% of our available performance whilst flocking.

I am not saying we should rename flocking to stall flying, nor I am saying that flocking is subordinate to any other discipline or type of flying. If you think that you are WAY off track.

Flocking is fun and flocking is demanding! (flying within 1m of your slot for the whole dive is hard work!!) I have spent a great deal of time flocking during recent years (my second WS jump was a 5way ;)).

Flocking can also get better and that is what we all want :)

Wingsuits fly, they stall, they lift and they fall but most importantly they make us smile :)
BASEstore.it

I'll bet MY suit makes me smile more than yours does....:P

You're exactly right on ... I started jumping because it is fun...I wingsuit for the same reason. I'm not trying to out perform anyone - that just makes for a lot a "two-way solos".
I also stop wingsuit jumping when the bull shit level is unbearable or the jumps are just dangerous.....

I hope we have a lot of fun no matter what we call it!

You've seen the pooper haven't you? I'm bittin my tongue on that one, stuck my ass out the door and exited when we landed someone said "wtf was that exit and "the pooper" just popped out. Now almost every dive I'm asked if I'm "poopin it".:D
BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

Mark, here's is a clarification:

POOPIN' AND POPPIN' (read the caption)

It's a bit hard to see but Jeff pooped that exit. He starts out crouched in the door, feet and knees together, with only his butt sticking out. Then he just leans back and lets go.

Mike, of course is "poppin'" on the exit.

Poopin' and poppin'!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

On that note, the term "caw-caw" is widely used here as well and you're surely not not likely to find in any aerodynamics books either...

Ooooh go katie!!!

When is flock n dock? Maybe then people will have to shut up and actually fly their wingsuits with other people and stop griping over terminology and just "SKYDIVE" because it is fun?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...