Nidez

Italian WS competition

Hi Birds,
after a lot of talking with italian federation and burocrates we managed to have a seat in the federal materials office to prevent wingsuit ruling by those who never flyed it... Now there's a bigger goal to reach: organizing the Italian WingSuit Cup.

The event will be open for everyone but only Italian birds will “jump on the podium” and win rewards as the competition is intended to promote our national birds.

There will be a National television troupe and we'll have 40 minutes on RAI SPORT Satellite channel.

Actually the rewards are:
1st place - payed airplane ticket to get to Stupino o Cochesdt 2008
2nd place - personallized Ton-Fly camera helmet
3rd place - personalized thermal undersuit.
last place - 5 ticket to have training and improve.

I need some help from you guys, I’ve already asked help to Klaus R. (Paralog) and he is helping a lot, but I still have some questions:

We want to do a 4 run competition as: “Best Time” – “Best Distance” – “Best Ground Speed” – “1Vs1”.

I would like to know about your experience in organizing other events:

- Do you think that 1Vs1 competition can result dangerous for opening/separation problems ?

- is Active GPS Antenna repeater working ? what kind of experience did you have with Repeaters ? I’ve just ordered by e-bay this one: http://www.weiyang.com.tw/gps-re-radiation-antenna/01.htm

- to avoid repeater problems we can put a person next to the pilot (plane will be PC-6 porter) who is in charge to keep GPS units on clear sky until the moment the competitor have to jump. The GPS man will smack the unit on the competitor helmet using a STRONG Velcro to fix it.

About points we were thinking to do as Klaus suggested us:
1000 / Best * individual

In this way we can give points in % of the best result which is equal to 1000 points
Competitor’s score will be the sum of each run of each discipline.

But what about the 1Vs1 points ? we are still thinking how many points to assign to the winner.

About the flight path we assumed this schema:

Assuming wind 25 knots from 90° (E)
Plane run is 180° (S) to 0° (N) about 1mi W of the DZ
First jumper exits about 1 mi S of DZ, other jumpers follow every 20 seconds (4 or 5 exit)
180° for the plane, back to 1 mi S of DZ and another jump run for the others competitors.

All jumpers turn 90° right immediately after leaving the plane and all of them fly front-wind.
as wingsuiting means "know your flight path" there will be a 10°/20° degree error tollerance exiting it will be translated in 0 points for that run.

Let me know your opinion about GPSs, Repeaters, Score, flight paths and what else you think can be of help.

Thanks in Advance for your help.
Marco "Pazzo" Pistolesi
pistolesi.marco(at)gmail.com

The event will be open for everyone but only Italian birds will “jump on the podium” and win rewards as the competition is intended to promote our national birds.

1st place - payed airplane ticket to get to Stupino o Cochesdt 2008 + various form bird-man and phoenix-fly (guys i'm waiting 4 a response from u 2...)

Couple of suggestions...

1. open the competition up! Why only make it for people from Italy?

2. Wait until you've made deals with sponsors before suggesting they're going to provide prizes, but that you haven't heard from them!
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Couple of suggestions...

I understand the need to have your Italian flyers take the spotlight.
But from a media standpoint..how interesting is it when you have a competition where the other flyers are not allowed to really compete?

Making a double competition..

worldclass - italian class (both with 1/2/3 place) will be most more interesting AND raise attendence from flyers from other countries..

And imagine you (or any other italian guy or girl) also winning the world-class?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

this was supposed to be a "national cup", to promote our birds (there are quite a lot, but they fly rarely).

my wallet haven't enought cash to buy prizes for everyone...

I know, If people come from other countries the media will be more interested, more jumps, more $ for DZ, more exchange of skill, it is more of a story.

BUT: we are trying to involve our birds who don't fly too much... we have about 30/40 birds in Italy but only about 10 of them fly... the others are not motivated.
so if we do a competition and a guy from ... boh... France (in Ex) come and wins everything our birds will become less motivated and i totally foult our goal !

We need prizes for 1st 2nd and 3rd Italian place as National cup and we have already almost provided for them.

If manufacters, all of them, will help there will be space and prize also for an "international high-score"
but this seems to be an utopia...
Manufacters: this is not only marketing !
I'm talking about involving people and motivating them...

And imagine you (or any other italian guy or girl) also winning the world-class?

you are perfectly right... that's the way... but need help from manufacters.

one little thing i've haven't sayd.
as this event is promotional for the whole discipline we (organizators) are NOT going to race so there will not be any noise like "you organized the race, you wins the prizes...".
Marco "Pazzo" Pistolesi

anyway, the competition will be in the end of september so we're plenty of time to organize, and, as all of you are asking to make a world class, i'm going to ask more sposors... please, if somebody can provide some contact with them please email me...

(i'm trying with Red-Bull Italia... but seems not interest in skydiving, that's strange 'cause theyr TV spot -a cartoon- is always been "Red-bull puts wings on you" - some of you already have contacts with them ?)
Marco "Pazzo" Pistolesi

I apreciate that motivation to enhance our sport.

Suggestion:
Keep it simple- otherwise you got to much problems to sort out at your first event.

There are not to much wingsuit pilots around who are willing to prove their skills (it´s easier to talk);)

Boogies, flocks, world records -that´s magnets, because there is not a single pilot in the spotlight with his results.

We organized the first and second int. wingsuit comp. with big prize money and just now, for the third one with more than 5000,- Euro prizes to win, the number of competitors is what we expect.

It´s good that you have Klaus from Paralog, he was also a big help for us.

If you create a poster for your event, we will post it at our comp....
don´t pester the jester . . or better: WHY SO SERIOUS ? ?

www.pralle-zeiten.de

TNX a lot Jester,
we are already doing 1 "little boogie" each month to keep people flocking and improve..

why not... the air ticket for Wingsuit over Marl will be for sure one of the choise for the winner.

One of the goal of the competition is select the the ones who will partecipate as Italian Team on Int. Boogie.
(as our association "Freccette Tricolori" is the only one about WS in Italy we can act as National team... but we want the national team is formed by merits not by stand alone decision.)
In this way the first placed will fly for free using the association money to partecipate to other international competitions (like yours)
Marco "Pazzo" Pistolesi

Good News NeNe !
with you we're one more ! and the Flock keep growing.. !!;)
I'll greet everybody for you ! Would you be there for the end of April ? we will have a bigger than 10 way flock... ;)
Marco "Pazzo" Pistolesi

Ciao Kookaburra,
Here:
http://www.paracadutismo.it/forum/showthread.php?t=1838
you can find the updated calendar for the meetings,
next weekend will be in Reggio Emilia, i strongly raccomend you the 25 April to 1st May long weekend in Tortuga, it will be the bigger (i think) we're organizing.
I think we'll also fly to Garzi in middle April, but nothing ufficial yet.

Hope to C U soon !
Marco "Pazzo" Pistolesi

We had a Wonderfoul 4 days WE in Skydive Tortuga with Rolf B. and Meike. We had 15 loads of Birds, from a min. of 7 to a max of 12 Birds in the DZ.
I take the opportunity to share some photos and reminding everyone that the Italian competition that will take place 3rd week end of September at Skydive Tortuga will be open to people of every country, tnx to Ton-Fly, Bird-Man, Phoenix-Fly, 90Percent, Skydive Tortuga, Paralog and all that makes it possible !
p.s. this is my 1st WE with a camera on the helmet... shooted at least 1000 photos and there are 15 good... need to improve :D

Marco "Pazzo" Pistolesi