ScottGray

Recommendations on GPS Device

Fellow flockers - looking for recommendations on GPS units???

See you at Dublin and Flock & Dock !!!!

Scott "Boomer" Gray

The Brothers Gray
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

Edge 305.

Mount it on the helmet pointing at the sky when you fly with your head tucked.

If you move your head too much or the pitch angle the altitude readings will be crap but it will force you to keep the head still and maintain a steady pitch ;). Two pretty important things if you want to fly at your best glide.

Do not mount it on your hand.

Kris.

Hi Scott,
I use a Garmin ForeTrex201 and mount it on my the back of my ankle with the extender strap provided with the unit. Flying belly down it provides pretty good data.

It works best when I turn it on about a minute before exit and I get an exit slot outside the door. I bend my leg at the knee facing it skyward.

In this scenario, best case it will acquire before exit, typical worst case - it won't acquire until about 11k.

I personally settled on the ankle mount instead of the helmet mount because,
1) I'm lazy and it was easier to do, and,
2), when I'm going for max performance I'm typically alone in the sky and so I just don't wear a helmet but I always wear my ankle :)
See you in a few weeks at F&D!! Caw-Caw...

-mike
Play like your life depends on it.

I was curious about this too. After doing some research it appears the Etrex Vista & Etrex Summit are excellent choices as they both have altimeters. There is also a software app called Jumpmaster that looks helpful in gathering jump data.

Is anyone using Jumpmaster or any other app that works well?

-CG-
WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

Is anyone using Jumpmaster or any other app that works well?

Jumpamaster is a program designed for military jumping. Unless you're a Military jumper, that feature offers zero benefit to skydivers. However, if you can convince your pilot to fly so that you release(exit) over the HARP you will make it back to the DZ. The safety factor and the K factor that is the default is set up for the MC-4 HALO chute so anyone under a tandem canopy and smaller should make it back no problem. Chances are your DZ has a flight pattern it already flies depending on where the winds are from. Typically skydivers and the pilots who fly them don't like it when they do anything other than fly and release in the vicinity of the DZ. A HARP can put you miles away from the DIP(Desired Impact Point) depending on the winds. If you are interested in learning more on this topic do a search for "do bad spots really exist" and look for the Power point presentations and explanation I posted on how to do what the Jumpmaster feature does for you.

The best piece of Software I have found for Wingsuiting and skydiving in general is Paralog
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hi!

I hope my question is not offtop. And the question is:
What tricks ;) do you make with your GPS to maintain connecting when you jump out of tailgate plane? I am using a Fortrex 101.
I see only one (theoretical) solution: running fast to the exit from the window. :)
Thank you!

Ivan

i have a garmin GPSmap 60CSx.. its the most expensive, especially in europe, but even in my appartment the reception is fantastic.. but i dont even skydive yet, you could even be wearing it in your jumpsuit and still have more than decent reception.. just make sure that you got "all" satellites adjusted when still on the ground..

i use it for geocaching mostly, but also for navigating the roads.. with the new SD-micro cards coming up, 4GB, you could put all of the US, in 1:25'000 plus road navigation software on it.. so it has multiple purposes, i can only recommend it..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i have a garmin GPSmap 60CSx

The GPSMAP 60 series of GPS receivers work very well in skydiving and in other applications. If you can afford it, its a good receiver to have.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

hay Scott what about between gamin etrex vista cx and magellan explorist 600 any though. ?

Hey Al, it was good jumping with you in Eloy. Both the Garmin eTrex and explorist 600 are good units. Each offers a color screen and SD card expandable memory. They also have many of the same features so compared to each other they are pretty even. The big difference is in price, the explorist retails for around $350 while the Vista cx retails around $300 and comes with a blank 64mb SD card standard. Either one is a good choice for wingsuiting and other activities where you need to know where you're at....like BASE.;)

Are you going to make the May Skills camp in Eloy? If so, I can help you with the settings on which ever GPS receiver you decide to go with.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

What kind of luck is everyone having with the GPS devices that also track altitude???
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

Seems pretty damn reliable if you ask me. I haven't actually put protrack and gps graphs over eachother, but on the way up the altitudes on my altimeter and those on the GPS are as good as identical (of course, being a dz at sea-level helps. :P )
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Hi AveE,
I tried taking data with the Forerunner (I mistakenly bought the Forerunner 201 instead of a Foretrex) and was unable to get it to do what I wanted. The worst thing was that there was no way to set the sampling interval, it was all automatic (in the Fortrex you can set it to once per second).

Secondly, it seemed complicated (maybe impossible) to get he data groups right - I could never get it right. With the Foretrex, you simply have to turn it on and off and it automatically places beginning and end of file markers. With the Forerunner - who knows?

Anyhow, maybe you will have better luck with it than I did, but I ended up swapping it out for the Foretrex 201, never could get things to work right. Good luck and wishing you the best.
-mike
Play like your life depends on it.

I was looking at the new Garmin Forerunner series, esp. the Forerunner 305. I want to use it for rockclimbing, running and skydiving. Any opinions?
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...