fortress913

Birdman Suit from King Air Hop & Pop; Bird Man Instructor

I generally get a full minute of freefall on 5000 foot "hop and pops" here at Z-hills. Nothing wrong with that at all. That's out of a big-doored Otter though. King Airs do have small doors though, and yes I have jumped out of them with wingsuits (at Monroe when that was the only choice besides a Cessna 182). Exit completely closed/balled up and stay that way until you see the entire plane in front/above you, then open your wings. Don't, for any reason, open your wings until you see the whole plane above/in front of you. PAC's aren't that bad either. We exit sitting three abreast in the door and just pop out, pivoting off our right palm. Later exiters pile out sideways and completely closed up till they are clear of the tail. There is at least one guy who posts here, Bobby Gill, who popped up and out and destroyed the tail of his suit when he hit the tail of a Cresco/PAC in Australia.

Chuck
BMCI-4

This is not the canopy for low timer answer forum. My replies are real answers for the "why would". If you won't thats fine but a bunch of us did with no worries.

I know a couple of guys that prefer hop & pops for their V2 flights. There is no issue running out of stamina and they get a clear indication of ground covered.

If I can choose the exit point(straight line flight) and not have any canopies in the air(so that I can concentrate on my flight ). Hop-n-Pops from 6.5-7k will be the only solo jumps I do.

Kris.

But that probably wasnt a 4K load..?

..lower exit/shorter freefal, higher exitspeed, different exit/plane all at once is asking for trouble..

You are right it was an atmospheric re-entry exit. Principle is still the same. Ball up roll out. The view was memorable.

Different plane, higher speed wouldn't stop anyone from making a "regular" skydive. Treat the first few seconds as a regular exit then fly away, its simple shit.

And I'm not recommending anyone bust a lower opening altitude than the governing body recommends. There is still a lot of safe working altitude.

Lodi has regular flockage out of a beech 99, otter sized door but still higher speeds than the otter.In lodi wingsuiters fill it.

King airs are not the preffered WS craft and low skill hop and pops are not the ideal for new WS jumper exit, but if you wanna ya gotta. Check in with what some of the northern DZ guys do during their slow season: Low exits, poor temps, poor visibilty, circuit flights avoiding low rain clouds and all out of cessna. Prodigys and vampires alike uncurrent and happy to be there piled in a 182.

The king air ws flight sounds good to them right about now and you guys sound like pussies to those brave men but don't be mad they are just jealous of you turbinites.

If I can choose the exit point(straight line flight) and not have any canopies in the air(so that I can concentrate on my flight ). Hop-n-Pops from 6.5-7k will be the only solo jumps I do.

Kris.

Can you fly back two miles from 7k to a legal ( and safe) opening altitude right above the DZ? I know some guys who do. Want to know how they practice it?

Thanks for the responses--they are very helpful. I was wondering if there is set rule from the USPA for the minimum pull time for a birdman suit?

If your jumping at a USPA drop zone, look under USPA.org. If not, above ground is most preferred. ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Thanks for the responses--they are very helpful. I was wondering if there is set rule from the USPA for the minimum pull time for a birdman suit?

The USPA minimum pull is based on your licence a,b-d with a hardy recommendation to add some extra for wingsuit post deployment stowage.