pierre3636

landing the wingsuit (not a repost...well kinda)

Maybe Maria can chime in here, and tell us more about the planning of this milestone in wingsuiting?

Is it real planning? Or (looking for) sponsor talk?

The flaring of a wingsuit may take out (when timed perfect) most if not all downward speed, but the horizontal speed will still be like being flung of a motorcycle (sliding on your belly)

Although Ive personally proven that 120 km/h on asphalt wearing jeans (only jeans on motorcycle=stupid, I know) is survive-able with nothing more then a scrape on my knee and elbow, I still highly doubt the true surviveability of such a wingsuit-landing feat.

It would be a matter of luck, moreso then skill imho (ahh..who am I kidding...my oppion is never humble:P)

but IF its true planning, and the person to be attempting this honestly knows (not thinks, but KNOWS) he/she can do itI think its about time someone didnt just talk the talk..but also walked the walk...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

if you could hit a snow ski slope like we saw whoever that was flying just above the slope,
[wasn't that the the most awesome video]

then perhaps somehow one could release a dragster type parachute to stop your forward speed as soon as a toe touch's the snow.

I'll pay for the jump if you try it :-)

perhaps somehow one could release a dragster type parachute to stop your forward speed as soon as a toe touch's the snow.

I'll pay for the jump if you try it :-)

Let me just cut a few words from what you just posted...

perhaps *cut* one could release a *cut* parachute to stop *cut*

A parachute! Brilliant idea!;)

Sweet...so you'll pay for all my future wingsuit jumps now!??
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I have been in serious development of a wingsuit that lands without a parachute for over two years. My concept allows for a safe landing at the dropzone without landing gear, body armour or special surfaces. The wingsuit flight itself will be at glide in excess of 3:1, and the forward speed at touchdown will be no faster than the average fast approaches now seen with parachutes. I am currently designing with scale models and prototypes, using very basic testing with swings, and i will shortly be testing full scale prototypes on superswings rigged to cranes. The concept i am developing is entirely viable, but the engineering is complex and I sadly can not devote all my time to this pioneering venture. Rest assured however it can and will be done, sponsor or not. Test pilot we have thanks.

(pronounced G - jii is the force that makes you fly!)

Jii-Wings - no strings!

I think landing on water would be highly dangerous, on land obviously more so, I don't see how you can get such a small aria suit to land like a much larger aria parachute, it has to be a ski slope with a drogue to stop the forward speed, the drogue will be attached to the leg straps not the shoulders as you wouldn't want to flip your legs under you when you deployed it like a reg parachute would, pick a slope that will shoot you out at the end like a ski jumper in case the drogue doesn't deploy, man I'd love to watch that, I can see us all on the sidelines laughing our heads off cos he plows into a wall of snow or shoots off the cliff on his belly to deploy a base rig, would that qualify as "landing a wingsuit"? :-)

I think any type of drogue/break/parachute used will take it away from a true wingsuit landing..

I too can build a 20 million dollar 1 km long bathtub with airated water, or a complex net/catching system.

But a wingsuit and its pilot should be all the tools needed to be allowed to call it "landing a wingsuit" if you ask me...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

My god you guys are so obsessed with snow and foam and stuff ! how do you think it all up?! I think actually no-one really wants the comedy of these discussions to end... it's just all too hilarious!

Jii-Wings - no strings!

I am trying to visualise a drogue attatched to your leg straps.... mmmmm ... wouldn't that put you head down for landing? like maybe this would be a job for helmet designers to put wheels on the camera mount flat thing ... spectacular ..but a drogue is just too much like a parachute for me!

Jii-Wings - no strings!

so if the space shuttle lands and used a drogue it didn't land????

The space shuttle didn't make its reputation by claiming it could land without a parachute;)

Nearly everyone on this forum has landed a wingsuit many times - using a parachute. If you want to land one without a parachute, then land one without a parachute!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?