unclecharlie95

New PF Tracking suit

TRACKING SUIT
The Phoenix-Fly Tracking Suit is the essential piece of equipment for any serious tracker, using ram air technology combined with a unique air inlet design to offer incredible tracking performance! The original PF Pants & Jacket launched in 2004 sparked a revolution in the BASE and skydiving world, 2007 sees the launch of the updated and improved version.

http://www.phoenix-fly.com/products/trackingsuit.htm

Photo attached.

J
BASEstore.it

Cool. How about a close-up of the improved inlet?

Is the suit supposed to be flown palms up or palms down? I've flown with a few people in the original suit (and flown it myself once) and we all agreed it got much better inflation when you put palms up (and I've seen many BASE videos with people in this position). But in the pictures Robi has his palms down.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've found drastically different characteristics between palms up and palms down -- mostly likely due to where it puts my shouders, chest etc. Palms up fall rate is about 20% faster than down, but the glide is significantly better. In the BASE environment, it will depend whether you want a longer delay on a very vertical object, or have some obstacles to clear. Either way should yield a decent distance.

hello,
Pressurization works well in both ways. Small adjustment can be done, so that user rotate the sleeve around the wrist and tight it w velcro. However this is not necessary at all cause the vents covering wide selection of angles of attack. I have tried palms up and down and somehow likes better palms down. IMHO to track good, more than palms up or down is needed to accomplish great result.
Best comment on that can be done by some top trackers in the world - Paul, Douggs, Joninge, Athle Doug, Elen... etc...:)
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

Oh no Robi please don't tell me that you are saying Doug D. is one of the best trackers in the world ---- his head will explode --- his ego cannot get any bigger.:P
Back in the old days he wasn't against jumping out of a plane with the local Texas folks but now he just spends his time across the pond falling from large rocks

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I got a chance to do some skydiving jumps on my 2007 PF tracking suit the weekend just gone and all I can say is ...wow !
I was having a really tough time flying my phantom wingsuit well in the flock....( speed up guys :)
Helmet mounted protrack gave me 81-89mph average descent speeds but the forward speed was just insane...the amount of distance covered was just huge...no GPS to quantify but my eyes told me the full story !

Still alot of work to do to get better glide but I'm just blown away by how well this suit/pants performs, no stability issues whatsoever ( I was even flying in a sit and headown in the suit...just to practice recovery from instability )...its alot of fun just feeling like a red hot bullet smoking through the sky !

Dude.

I just flew my PF Tracking Suit (brand new) last weekend from an aircraft in prep for some "other" jumps...

My first flight, I almost pulled at 6K as it "had to be time"... I looked at my Alti and almost did not belive it...

My neptune reads speeds equal to some of the wingsuit flocks I have been on, and I was getting about .5 to .75 to 1 glide ratio on my first flight where I was just casually tracking. I watched the tandem drogues go by like those white dots on the asphalt on the highway.

I seriously had no clue the range. It just looked like baggy pants - but there is some of them-there 'dat science in there somewhere.

I now have to dial it in. I tried to "really push it" and I had worse results.>:(

DOn't mean to spoil the party ... 0.5 to 0.75 is nothing special 0.85-0.9 in street clothes are normal for mere mortals. Derek(HooknSwoop) posted some really cool tracking numbers (like 100 secs in an RW suit) at 1.1+, but he is a tracking guru.

Tracking suits are a lot of fun though :), Enjoy!

Kris

DOn't mean to spoil the party ... 0.5 to 0.75 is nothing special 0.85-0.9 in street clothes are normal for mere mortals. Derek(HooknSwoop) posted some really cool tracking numbers (like 100 secs in an RW suit) at 1.1+, but he is a tracking guru.

Tracking suits are a lot of fun though :), Enjoy!

Kris

Honestly, I don't know the exact ratios. It could be much higher. I was going based upon runway lengths and altitude in freefall. The problem was that I was exiting well past jump run, so I was making good guesses.

But I am far from a mere mortal.:P Some even say I suck.:D

Do you numbers guys ever get any actual fun out of jumps, or is it all just advanced math and bitching about the crotch of a suit being 3 cm's too short and badly designed inlets causing bad inflation (due to being covered by a loosely worn rig/cheststrap:P);)

Not really a direct reply to this post, but more one for 'the numbers folks' in general...

The feeling you land with, the feeling you have when you think about your last jump, and the dreams that last jump (or I should say 'flight') gives you at night is a 1000 times more important then the exel sheet with numbers that rolls out of your GPS..

If your last jump feels like the best jump you made in your whole life, than thats 100% what it was....even though there's no doubt always a a bigger fish that somebody else caught, and within 5 posts, somebody will be able to fly circles around you in his birthday-suit while flying on his back with 2 fingers up his nose while reading a book;)

A lot of people doing their first flight dont do all that well in terms of performance. But when they come down screaming about how awesome the feeling of flying was...should my answer be "Dude..rrrrright..that wasnt even close to a 1.5 glideratio, and my grandmother does better on a bad wednesday while flying into a headwind"? As that is sometimes the feeling some of these posts tend to air..

As the flight of the concords sayd it beautifully...be more constructive with your critisism;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

man this is my new favorite thread i'll bullet point it as to why:
-tdog; yes you suck.
-jarno; i'll see if i can find my booger pickin naked reading jump.
-to all; i agree, countin woohoo's is the best numbers.
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117

Not really a direct reply to this post, but more one for 'the numbers folks' in general...

The feeling is a 1000 times more important then the exel sheet with numbers that rolls out of your GPS..

Relax folks, Vectorboy stole Jarnia's sign on for one post. Things will get back to normal when Jarno gets back from his milk and cookies brake and resumes control.:D:D:D:D:D:D

a ferk...what Im really saying is Kriz and Yuri should quit crying about performance, and watch my tail as I cruise off into the sunset (better?):P

Dang what you have to do these days to get a bit of a rebelious image...

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

To be really impressed, check out our home dz's tracking guru Luc on trackingderby.com; he flies a regular RW suit with normal booties, flying an amazing 1.42 glide ratio:

http://trackingderby.com/en/trace_view_4339_meters.php

He did a FFC with us, but wasn't that impressed with the glide ratio of wingsuits for some reason and has gone back to just doing tracking. He even gets his own jump run to make sure he doesn't overshoot the dz.

I still think he should get into wingsuiting... he could kick some serious ass if he tried a little longer.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Do you numbers guys ever get any actual fun out of jumps, or is it all just advanced math and bitching about the crotch of a suit being 3 cm's too short and badly designed inlets causing bad inflation (due to being covered by a loosely worn rig/cheststrap:P);)

Not since 2005. No fun, not in a big suit anyway.

I am sure somewhere Ed's head is exploding. If you want to talk about my issues with suits feel free to PM me.

As for your comment

A lot of people doing their first flight dont do all that well in terms of performance. But when they come down screaming about how awesome the feeling of flying was...should my answer be "Dude..rrrrright..that wasnt even close to a 1.5 glideratio, and my grandmother does better on a bad wednesday while flying into a headwind"? As that is sometimes the feeling some of these posts tend to air..

Bad example.

You are responding to an image of "Kriz and Yuri" you have in your head. Not what was written.

And about your head...Don't even want to go there...a pic of Maccas wingsuit and some dildos come to mind.
:D.

Kris.

The feeling you land with, the feeling you have when you think about your last jump, and the dreams that last jump (or I should say 'flight') gives you at night is a 1000 times more important then the exel sheet with numbers that rolls out of your GPS.

When it comes to BASE big wall tracking that feeling is only so good when you when the guy you jumped with just smoked you and won't stop rubbing it in.

If numbers will help you fly farther and fast then so help me God, pass me the calculator!! ;)

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......