KrisFlyZ

GPS Does it work?

Of course it works. But what is the exceptable variance in accuracy? Will it help you support claims of accurate Fantastic glide rates?

Would you rely on an audible that was thousands of feet off? How about an ADD with the same accuracy?

IS it neat to plot your flight over a map for grins? Works great for this!

How do you think the Yuri and Robi calculate Glide?

Somehow I can't imagine Robi hauling the extra weight of some electronic do-dad to tell him his glide, there are other ways to figure it out.

I am just basing this on what Robi said in the Glide Ratio thread. If you read the posts from a few years ago..you can read Yuri's posts about his GPS experiences.

They may not do so on jumps now but they have used it and don't see the need to use it anymore.

Using a GPS correctly at some locations most likely means that it was not carried along for the jump(BASE ) anyway.

Kris.

Have you tried it on a Balloon jump?

What were the results? The altitude data will be noisy and there is not much that can be done.

My plan for this was using an Edge 205. This works mostly but the problem is that on BASE jumps I need to be able to have an accurate opening altitude value.
At the places I jump distances are known and the available altitude is too much.

I purchased a GPSMAP 76CSx(lot of the features that can be used while trekking and can also be used when driving) it has a Barometric altimeter (Calibratable) and plan to wear it inside the suit with the external antenna. See attached pic.

Kris.

Have you tried it on a Balloon jump?

I have not jumped balloon yet.

What were the results? The altitude data will be noisy and there is not much that can be done.

Check yourself, see attached file!

Oh, I have to addmit, that I have removed missplaced trackpoints. ;)

Simple.
You get accurate map in good scale (military or climbing one)
You have exit altitude, you have point were you open. you take the flight. You open the canopy , You measure the canopy flight time. You get the opening altitude. Deduct that + the first 100 m off the usable altitude ( exit - landing ) and u get the rough info what was your average glide - simple.
Guy at the time B.F.C. had no privilege to use GPS.but were able to measure the distance to the moon or circumference of the earth with amazing precision
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

Using a GPS correctly at some locations most likely means that it was not carried along for the jump(BASE ) anyway.

I knew that one Robi. From a few posts above.

Even at a location where an accurate Map is not available...without carrying the GPS on the jump a more accurate reading can be obtained for opening point and exit point and then the L/D calculated....if the opening is low enough to not add too much error to the calculations.

It will not work for me because..usually I tend to open higher (there was a time with a 5 sec canopy ride but I try not to repeat that) and jump objects that don't allow flying all the way down to 800'(Kjerag and ITW...Smell scared me a couple of times).

Kris.

:)GPS work well too but it require more jumps from the same object in order to reduce possible data error. In Base enviroment this is not so much of a problem but in skydiving could be due the wind issues.

Hey you had openings on smell just fine ;) longer canopy ride can just scare you, or?!
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

next time use black stitching!!!

Robi you used white stitching on my purple and black V2, does that mean you don't love me?

Isn't it the same "signature series" V2 as Tony has Glen?
The west coast loves ya Bro, white stitching and all.... ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I only mention it because somebody with an all black v2( w black stitching) was teasing me about the white stiching on mine. Until then I never even noticed and didn't think it was important. My S3 had the same. But if its important enough for a GPS pouch then it must be for a wingsuit also:D.

I love my westcoast signature series, limited edition Vampire. Order yours today, operators are standing by.:)